MSN messenger 7 maintains a background process...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by C.J.Patten, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    Odd problem.

    Run WinXP Home SP2, I keep Zone Alarm, MSAntiSpyware and Norton all active
    and perform regular scans.

    I occasionally run MSN Messenger (it's NOT set to start with Windows).
    When I terminate the program and run the Windows Task Manager, it's *still
    there* in the process list (msnmsgr.exe) taking up 13,476K of memory AND
    using (get this) 50% of the CPU cycles?!

    ?!

    What tipped me off is my notebook fans kick in when the CPU warms up. I
    expect this when rendering a video project but not when there aren't any
    programs running. (HP Pavilion zd7260, an Intel 865G, 3.2GHz P4HT Northwood
    system BTW)

    Anyone else notice MSN Messenger 7 doing this?

    C.j

    C.J.Patten, Apr 29, 2005

  2. C.J.Patten

    Tweek Guest

    I find any IM client: MSN, Yahoo, etc.. to be the worst kind of resource
    hog. I only use them because other people (mostly noobs I work with) insist.

    Tweek, Apr 29, 2005

  3. C.J.Patten

    Guest

    I use Messenger 7 with MSN Explorer, and it never signs off when I
    close. This happens with IE too. I contacted support and they told me
    this is normal with XP! I never had this happen with other Windows
    operating systems. As for the resource hog, I never saw that much use
    in my system. However there are times once in a while where I can't
    sign messenger off, and have to use the task manager to sign off as
    well as close it. Hope that helps some.

    , Apr 29, 2005
  4. C.J.Patten

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    C.J.Patten wrote:
    > Odd problem.
    >
    > Run WinXP Home SP2, I keep Zone Alarm, MSAntiSpyware and Norton all active
    > and perform regular scans.
    >
    > I occasionally run MSN Messenger (it's NOT set to start with Windows).
    > When I terminate the program and run the Windows Task Manager, it's *still
    > there* in the process list (msnmsgr.exe) taking up 13,476K of memory AND
    > using (get this) 50% of the CPU cycles?!
    >
    > ?!
    >
    > What tipped me off is my notebook fans kick in when the CPU warms up. I
    > expect this when rendering a video project but not when there aren't any
    > programs running. (HP Pavilion zd7260, an Intel 865G, 3.2GHz P4HT Northwood
    > system BTW)
    >
    > Anyone else notice MSN Messenger 7 doing this?
    >
    > C.j

    Without being alarmist, rescan your computer with another virus scanner.
    A virus WORM_RBOT.KX names itself to MSNMSGR.EXE and drops itself
    into \Windows\system. Have a look at
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_RBOT.KX&VSect=T

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 29, 2005
  5. C.J.Patten

    Guest

    Hey, that's right. I had an older version of messenger before, and my
    computer spotted a trojan named "Netsky.ad" as being associated with
    it. Of course, I got that download of messenger from a different
    website, whereas my current messenger 7 is directly from MSN.
    Nevertheless, the previous poster may have a great point, so try it!

    , Apr 29, 2005
  6. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    I will run an extra virus scan but I'm doubtful that's the problem - I'm
    behind two firewalls (hard and soft) and keep a very tightly locked down
    system.

    Also, the task that stays in the background *is*MSN Messenger, no question.
    It only exists when I start MSN Messenger (I've watched this in the Task
    Manager) and it's the process linked to the application.

    Further, the "50% CPU usage" ONLY happens after quitting the program - it's
    not a processor hog when it's actually running normally. (might use a
    percent or two of horsepower)

    This really is an odd glitch in MSN Messenger - though I don't preclude it
    being a conflict with something else currently installed.

    Thanks for the replies! Suggestions always welcome.

    C.

    C.J.Patten, Apr 29, 2005
  7. C.J.Patten

    TJ Guest

    wrote:

    > Hey, that's right. I had an older version of messenger before, and my
    > computer spotted a trojan named "Netsky.ad" as being associated with
    > it. Of course, I got that download of messenger from a different
    > website, whereas my current messenger 7 is directly from MSN.
    > Nevertheless, the previous poster may have a great point, so try it!

    Hmmm. Doesn't quote or attribute anything. Posts with what appears to be a
    valid email address. Happily admits to using alternate download sites for
    common applications. Thinks it's in a chatroom.

    I'm betting AOLer. Let's have a look shall we? .....

    I win.

    TJ, Apr 29, 2005
  8. C.J.Patten

    Edgar Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey, that's right. I had an older version of messenger before, and my
    >>computer spotted a trojan named "Netsky.ad" as being associated with
    >>it. Of course, I got that download of messenger from a different
    >>website, whereas my current messenger 7 is directly from MSN.
    >>Nevertheless, the previous poster may have a great point, so try it!

    > Hmmm. Doesn't quote or attribute anything. Posts with what appears to be a
    > valid email address. Happily admits to using alternate download sites for
    > common applications. Thinks it's in a chatroom.
    >
    > I'm betting AOLer. Let's have a look shall we? .....

    > I win.

    I know that Messenger tries to keep itself running in XP, so you can end
    the process in task manager. I use trillian instead. Its also a hog,
    but it doesn't try to take over your computer, and when you turn it of,
    its really off.

    Edgar, Apr 29, 2005
  9. C.J.Patten

    Guest

    CJ Patten, let us know how things work out for you. By the way, I do
    like Messenger 7, despite the problems with sign off. I also installed
    it on my old Windows 98 computer, and it works fine there.

    , Apr 29, 2005
  10. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    Yeah, used to use Trillian myself.

    I switched because everyone I knew used MSN. I'm thinking of going back to
    Gaim - a REALLY stripped down IM tool... open source crowd - very
    anti-resource hogging it seems.

    As soon as software starts to inconvenience me, it's days are numbered - my
    time is too limited to be fighting with someone else's bad programming.

    C.

    C.J.Patten, Apr 29, 2005
  11. C.J.Patten

    Guest

    To "TJ": Nope! I got the alternate download from "Oldversion.com".
    And, nope again...no aol for me, ever! No chatrooms either.

    But, it was my SPYBOT program that found that download to have been
    associated with a trojan. It didn't find it on a scan, but upon looking
    at the start-up option, it showed a history of trojans being associated
    with generic messenger download sites (it may have removed the trojan
    on an earlier scan).

    Also, Microsoft did admit that they have issues with messenger,
    especially with MSN explorer as a browser, but they did say that it was
    normal for Messenger not to sign off on XP systems (???).

    , Apr 29, 2005
  12. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    <shaking head>

    Maybe some people can tolerate it but when I hit "Exit" in a program, I
    *expect* it to actually terminate.

    For the record, I'm a firm believer that a well run monopoly is the best
    situation for the consumer - more resources can be dedicated to product
    development and support than a bunch of smaller, competiting firms can
    provide.

    I'm happy with XP in general and run it on several NLE workstations. I also
    run MS iExplorer and have no issues with that. (as mentioned, MS
    Antispyware, Norton 2005 and Zone Alarm installed to plug up all the leaks)

    In this case, the more I learn, the more I think MS is dropping the ball
    with MSN Messenger.

    I've got Gaim http://gaim.sourceforge.net/index.php installed now and it's
    working fine.
    Low resource use and when you instruct it to quit, it actually quits.

    Thanks folks!

    C.j

    C.J.Patten, Apr 29, 2005
  13. C.J.Patten

    James Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > To "TJ": Nope! I got the alternate download from "Oldversion.com".
    > And, nope again...no aol for me, ever! No chatrooms either.
    >
    > But, it was my SPYBOT program that found that download to have been
    > associated with a trojan. It didn't find it on a scan, but upon looking
    > at the start-up option, it showed a history of trojans being associated
    > with generic messenger download sites (it may have removed the trojan
    > on an earlier scan).
    >
    > Also, Microsoft did admit that they have issues with messenger,
    > especially with MSN explorer as a browser, but they did say that it was
    > normal for Messenger not to sign off on XP systems (???).

    Who is TJ?
    What are you talking about?
    Who are you talking to?

    Was there a large conversation before this that I appear to be unaware of?

    If only someone hadn't cut out all the previous topics I might know what
    alternate download you had, what download has a torjan and what youre going
    on about.

    James, Apr 29, 2005
  14. C.J.Patten

    Guest

    Well said, CJ! I am a firm believer as well on Microsoft, but agree
    about the messenger issue. At least they were honest and said that they
    had unresolved issues.

    It is frustrating to have to sign out and then close down messenger by
    hand.

    , Apr 29, 2005
  15. C.J.Patten

    WebWalker Guest

    I believe you need to disable or uncheck the box of "allow messager
    running in the background".

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Apr 30, 2005
  16. C.J.Patten

    Guest

    That didn't work for me, WebWalker. It would appear to be a solution,
    but again, Microsoft did tell me that they have issues with messenger
    and XP, and it's their problem why messenger won't sign off by itself
    when closing it down.

    , Apr 30, 2005
  17. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    Selecting/unselecting that option didn't help me either FYI.
    This is most certainly a bug in MSN Messenger. (though perhaps not everyone
    is affected?)

    C.

    C.J.Patten, Apr 30, 2005
  18. C.J.Patten

    M.L. Guest

    >> Odd problem.
    >>
    >> Run WinXP Home SP2, I keep Zone Alarm, MSAntiSpyware and Norton all active
    >> and perform regular scans.
    >>
    >> I occasionally run MSN Messenger (it's NOT set to start with Windows).
    >> When I terminate the program and run the Windows Task Manager, it's *still
    >> there* in the process list (msnmsgr.exe) taking up 13,476K of memory AND
    >> using (get this) 50% of the CPU cycles?!
    >>
    >> ?!
    >>
    >> What tipped me off is my notebook fans kick in when the CPU warms up. I
    >> expect this when rendering a video project but not when there aren't any
    >> programs running. (HP Pavilion zd7260, an Intel 865G, 3.2GHz P4HT

    >Northwood
    >> system BTW)
    >>
    >> Anyone else notice MSN Messenger 7 doing this?

    >I find any IM client: MSN, Yahoo, etc.. to be the worst kind of resource
    >hog. I only use them because other people (mostly noobs I work with) insist.

    Like you, I use them only when communicating with a member. But I use
    the IM's web interface instead of the PC software client:

    MSN Messenger web interface: http://www.e-messenger.net

    AOL Instant Messenger web interface: http://www.aim.com

    Yahoo Messenger web interface: http://messenger.yahoo.com

    M.L., May 2, 2005