MSN Messenger 7.0/Remote Assistance x64 non existant?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by wewa, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. wewa

    wewa Guest

    Ok. Now I know its an issue.

    I had MSN msgr 7.0 give me the same failure when i used it back in x64 build
    1433.
    Now in 3790 (final trial), i get the same exact situation.

    I tell someone to send a request for RA in msn msgr, and it gives this
    error, that i dont have it installed on x64:

    Susan is inviting you to start Remote Assistance. Do you want to Accept
    (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?
    The invitation from Susan to start Remote Assistance was declined. The
    program is disabled or is not installed on your computer.

    Works fine on XP Pro x86.

    I went into Services and automated and started the following services, but
    still no go:
    - Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    - Remote Access Connection Manager
    - Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

    I've gotten lazy with this 64bit.general newsgroup (so easy to get answers),
    so i though i'd give the old MS KB a try with x64 but the KB is still bleak,
    it seems, at least for this topic, if not x64 in general:
    http://search.support.microsoft.com...g=LCID=1033&spid=8599&qryWt=&mode=r&cus=False

    Did a google too, but nada.

    Windows Messenger 4.7 (the built into x64) one works, so i know its not a
    router/port configuration/connectivity issue.

    But everytime i need to help someone, i have to log off msgr 7.0 and log
    back on with msgr 4.7 or completely reboot into xp pro x86 and use msgr 7.0
    that way... :(

    Any other alternative to msgr RA requests to easily have a end user request
    remote assistance?
    I know you can email expiring tokens but that's more steps than I think my
    end users can remember and be able to be walked thru over msgr or having 2
    make a phone call...

    Thanks.

    wewa, Jul 15, 2005

  2. wewa

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 14-Jul-2005, "wewa" <wewa@nomail.4me> wrote:

    > But everytime i need to help someone, i have to log off msgr 7.0 and log
    > back on with msgr 4.7 or completely reboot into xp pro x86 and use msgr
    > 7.0
    > that way... :(

    I guess I'm missing something but what does MSN Messenger give you, other
    than the ability to use webcams, that Windows Messenger doesn't?

    Sam Crawford, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Won't do R/A here either...

    Gary J. Dikkema, Jul 15, 2005
  4. I think there is some incompatibility between Windows and MSN Messenger, I
    get errors when I exchange files between both Messenger editions.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005