msn HELPPPP!!!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robin Halligan, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was :(

    I can now not get MSN to work
    when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
    (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
    i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as much
    as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.

    Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
    computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
    run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
    the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
    anyone?

    1.8 Ghz Celeron
    256 mg ram
    Xp home (sp2)

    --
    A man that expects to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic
    and is locked up. But a man that thinks people can be turned into angels by

    Robin Halligan, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Robin Halligan

    Shane Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:

    > Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was :(
    >
    > I can now not get MSN to work
    > when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
    > (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
    > i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as
    > much as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
    >
    > Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
    > computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
    > run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
    > the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
    > anyone?
    >
    > 1.8 Ghz Celeron
    > 256 mg ram
    > Xp home (sp2)

    Oh shit
    If you cant go back and undo everything you did, to a point where its good
    again.. your best bet is backup all your data and reinstall

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Robin Halligan

    Magic Marker Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was :(
    >
    > I can now not get MSN to work
    > when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
    > (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
    > i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as
    > much
    > as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
    >
    > Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
    > computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
    > run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
    > the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
    > anyone?
    >
    > 1.8 Ghz Celeron
    > 256 mg ram
    > Xp home (sp2)
    >

    > --
    > A man that expects to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic
    > and is locked up. But a man that thinks people can be turned into angels
    > by
    > legislation is called a reformer and allowed to walk free

    Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
    http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
    process might undo the registry snafu. Another idea is to pop up the Task
    Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
    launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on the
    column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or app
    which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
    here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for you

    Magic Marker, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Robin Halligan

    Rebel Lion Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:22:03 +1200, Robin Halligan wrote:

    > Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was :(
    >
    > I can now not get MSN to work
    > when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
    > (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
    > i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as much
    > as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
    >
    > Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
    > computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
    > run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
    > the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
    > anyone?

    Try rolling back if that is not possible then you could try and see if
    amsn will work granted its not the featurefull read bloatware of msn
    messenger but it does work well..
    http://amsn.sourceforge.net

    Rebel Lion, Apr 23, 2006
  5. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:57:52 +1200, Magic Marker wrote:

    > Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
    > http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
    > process might undo the registry snafu.

    tried that unfortunately it didn¢t help
    I also tried to roll back and that didn¢t help.

    > Another idea is to pop up the Task
    > Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
    > launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on the
    > column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or app
    > which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
    > here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for you

    Ok tried that the only thing that changed was smc.exe
    went from a cpu of 02 to 76

    I don't want to have to reload but if that is the only option i will do it.
    thanks for the response people.

    --
    Richie: Now Eddie, crackers?
    Eddie: Yes. But it's never stopped me so far.

    Robin Halligan, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Robin Halligan

    > On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:57:52 +1200, Magic Marker wrote:
    >

    >> Try uninstalling MSN Messenger, re-downloading it from
    >> http://messenger.msn.com and then re-installing. With a little luck that
    >> process might undo the registry snafu.

    > tried that unfortunately it didn¢t help
    > I also tried to roll back and that didn¢t help.
    >
    >> Another idea is to pop up the Task
    >> Manager by hitting Alt-Ctrl-Del and then select the Processes tab. Then
    >> launch MSN and see what's slowing the system to a crawl by clicking on
    >> the
    >> column headings to sort by RAM and CPU usage. You'll find a process or
    >> app
    >> which is either hogging all the CPU or all the RAM. If you can post back
    >> here and let us know which process it is we can probably find a fix for
    >> you

    > Ok tried that the only thing that changed was smc.exe
    > went from a cpu of 02 to 76
    >
    > I don't want to have to reload but if that is the only option i will do
    > it.
    > thanks for the response people.
    >
    > --
    > Richie: Now Eddie, crackers?
    > Eddie: Yes. But it's never stopped me so far.
    > Richie: No, I mean have you got the crackers?
    > Eddie: No, it's just the way my trousers hang.
    > Richie: Eddie, enough of the crackers jokes.
    > Eddie: All right.
    > Richie: I'm talking about the things you put in your hand and pull.
    > Eddie: Well I've got one of those, but I'm not gonna stick it on the
    > table!
    > Bottom

    Looks like you might be using the Sygate firewall and might have screwed it
    up during the registry cleanup. Are you able to re-install it ?

    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html

    Magic Marker, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Robin Halligan

    Enkidu Guest

    Robin Halligan wrote:
    > Hi everyone I have done something stupid and i am not sure what it was :(
    >
    > I can now not get MSN to work
    > when i start it the whole system slowes to a crawl 1.8 Ghz to about 3 hz
    > (or so it seems) every thing seems to be taken up in the slowdown ( though
    > i can move the mouse alright if i click on some thing it might take as much
    > as 3 minuets till the puter reacts to the click.
    >
    > Now i think i did something when i was following some instructions in a
    > computer mag to trim out unnecessary things to make the operating system
    > run better unfortunately i cannot remember what it was that killed things,
    > the system runs well if i do not run msn, does this prob sound familiar to
    > anyone?
    >
    > 1.8 Ghz Celeron
    > 256 mg ram
    > Xp home (sp2)

    What 'Magic Cracker' says. Though Sygate Personal Firewall has been
    taken over by Symantec, so I hope you kept the install file....

    When you get the slowdown, you could try killing smc.exe from the Task
    Manager. If everything comes to life, you know the cause of the problem.

    If all else fails you could try a 'repair' of the OS from the install
    disk. Of course if you have one of those machines with a vendor supplied
    'recovery' disk you won't be able to repair your OS and if you 'recover'
    the system you will lose everything. So don't do that!

    I would not advise, under any circumstances "following some instructions
    in a computer mag". There's way too many things that can go wrong, and
    some sets of instructions looked downright dangerous! As you have found,
    using these 'speed up' instructions can make the machine perform worse.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 23, 2006
  8. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:37:08 +1200, Magic Marker wrote:

    > Looks like you might be using the Sygate firewall and might have screwed it
    > up during the registry cleanup. Are you able to re-install it ?
    > http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html

    Ok tried that works good now i killed the firewall, and as in am running
    through ICS through my wifes puter and she is running a fire wall (same
    one) i can use that (till 05/05 when i get broardband) and i have the
    firewall on a magazine disc so i can install it again.

    Thanks for everyones comments and help (I love this group).

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from
    irony."

    Robin Halligan, Apr 24, 2006