MSIexec.exe When Computers go bad

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector-NZ, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Having a series of failures recently I am left with a problem.

    Due to a failure of Video drivers on my main notebook (which currently
    has no CD) I had to get tricky, so I hooked its drive up to the main
    machine and copied over the install CD for W2k.

    Performed an install accepting the upgrade option. Went well got the
    system working again, trouble is of course that it wanted to reinstall
    any apps that had been installed with .msi files. Office etc.

    Got past that hassle since the source (CD) wasnt available now I want to
    install them but every time I attempt this I get an error 1500 from
    MSInstaller saying that another installation is in progress.

    MSIexec is being started as a service so I figure kill it, nope no go
    Try reinstalling MSInstaller, nope no go

    Dam tried a big range of queroies on Google still no sucess any one got
    any ideas?

    I am about to take the step of deleting the range of files etc
    associated with MSI and then try reinstalling it.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Collector-NZ

    EMB Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > Got past that hassle since the source (CD) wasnt available now I want to
    > install them but every time I attempt this I get an error 1500 from
    > MSInstaller saying that another installation is in progress.
    >
    > MSIexec is being started as a service so I figure kill it, nope no go
    > Try reinstalling MSInstaller, nope no go

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Any use?

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    EMB said the following on 29/09/2004 13:40:
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >

    >> Got past that hassle since the source (CD) wasnt available now I want
    >> to install them but every time I attempt this I get an error 1500 from
    >> MSInstaller saying that another installation is in progress.
    >>
    >> MSIexec is being started as a service so I figure kill it, nope no go
    >> Try reinstalling MSInstaller, nope no go

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    >
    > Any use?

    Got to try it I suppose cant do any harm really

    Collector-NZ, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Collector-NZ

    Collector-NZ Guest

    EMB said the following on 29/09/2004 13:40:
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >

    >> Got past that hassle since the source (CD) wasnt available now I want
    >> to install them but every time I attempt this I get an error 1500 from
    >> MSInstaller saying that another installation is in progress.
    >>
    >> MSIexec is being started as a service so I figure kill it, nope no go
    >> Try reinstalling MSInstaller, nope no go

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    >
    > Any use?

    Dam it works, but it dangerous, dont choose select all unless you mean
    it, but typical Microsoft it leaves a load of shit behind since once
    used you cannot uninstall the app either so if you upgrade you have a
    shit load of old files left behind.

    Collector-NZ, Sep 29, 2004