MSIE Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PJD, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. PJD

    PJD Guest

    PC worked just fine up until Friday. Then....

    1. I noticed that while using MSIE 6.0 at various times, my browser would
    display a Lycos Search page and change the Favorites panel to a Lycos
    Search.

    2. I went to Control Panel to remove the Lycos Search program

    3. I went to Spybot and did a Check Problem and then a Fix Problems.

    4. Since then I get a cannot detect the network on MSIE.

    I did the following:

    Ping test is fine
    Can dial-up into my work network
    Tried to repair MSIE 6.
    Deleted the servicepack and reinstalled
    I exported my registry and loaded it on another PC. MSIE works from my
    exported registry on another PC
    I had another perosn export their registry and load it on my machine. MSIE
    still does not work.

    I then loaded Netscape 7.1 and got on the Internet.

    Anyone have any ideas what happened to MSIE 6?

    Any ideas and help would be appreciated!

    Thanks in advance
    Paul

    PJD, Oct 21, 2003

  2. PJD

    Webb Guest

    Have you tried ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew
    even though its dial up and cleaned out the cache file?

    Webb, Oct 21, 2003

  3. PJD

    Harrison Guest

    When you exported the registry, I assume you exported the IE hive and
    not the entire registry?

    I suspect that you've encountered something like SubSearch and it is
    still trying to set its hooks when you start up.
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/SubSearch.html

    Download and run Hijackthis, then post your results either here or on
    the forum on the download site.
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    If you post here, post back to this thread.

    Harrison, Oct 21, 2003