msie/msn/oex conflicts problems need help to fix long story

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by len gardener, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. len gardener

    len gardener Guest

    as in the subject line i have bugs/conflicts/cross linked files?
    causing problems with:

    msie 5/6 don't know which?; oex 6 & msn 6

    sys info:

    win 98 os2
    agent for e/m's and usenet
    zone alarm
    e-trust
    128 meg ram
    1 x 10 gig hd partition using partition magic
    1x 6 gig slave drive
    pentium II 246

    i do housekeeping each week:

    run scan disk from the dos prompt (at boot up) it won't run defrag
    from the dos prompt.

    run a full scan disk and defrag from windows as well as run system
    file checker.

    first in short some time ago i downloaded oex6 and a beta version of
    msie6 from the ms web site, immediately i had problems that i can't
    now recal but my isp advised i un-instal msie6. i needed to find out
    from users of aus.computers ng how i could un-instal a program that
    didn't come with an un-instal? the outcome i downloaded a full version
    of ie6 then un-installed it. as far as i can determine ie6 isn't
    un-installing i try reinstallin ie5 and get told i am running a newer
    version of ie. i check properties of ie icon in the program folder and
    it says that i am running ver' 6.00.2600.0000. the read me file is for
    ie6. ms system information file says it is IE5 6.0.2600.0000. now
    neither ie5 nor ie6 show in the install/uninstall folder in the
    control panel. everytime i get an upgrade notice from ms it asks me to
    download ie6 upgrade patch as well as directX patch i keep ignoring
    them.

    1..

    the main problem seems to be between oex6 and msn6 after using oex for
    a short time msn will come up with <MSNMSGR gen protection fault in
    DIBENG.DLL> and shuts down removing the icon from the task tray.

    how can i fix this should i uninstall oex6 and use a previous version
    oex is not my default news reader but i do use it for the usenet?

    should i install the ie6 patch in the ms upgrade notification?

    2..

    on occassions msie comes up with a < MSIMN invalid page fault in
    MGAPDX64.drv> and shuts down my browser.

    how can i fix this?

    3..

    recently i experienced a <Windows Fatal Exception 06 @0028:00000177>
    and my desktop shut down and then came back on.

    4..

    if i run <regclean> and remove msn, zone alarm & e-trust icons from
    the task tray then lit the coputer idle for about an hour it will shut
    down properly.

    also if i run <regclean> after all online session if finds and fixes
    files, what is it finding to fix? how can i check? will this help us
    fix the problem?

    i am in the bush out in rural i need to try and fix these problems
    myself with the kind help of those on this news group, i am hoping a
    reformat and clean instal will not be needed as when this occurs i
    always manage to lose files and then it takes me 5 hours to find and
    reinstall all programs i was running before, granted everything with
    windows runs like a charm until windows allows its files to be come
    corrupted once again.

    my current problems cause shut down problems ie.,. the computer never
    shuts down as it should, usually means a reset or when it is next
    rebooted it runs scan disk over the 3 hd's. we need to sign out of
    messenger before we go off line or messenger continues to try and
    connect which stops any new actions we might waant to perform on the
    computer, in those cases i use ctrl/alt/delete to end the messenger
    task. nearly everytime we shut down we get a window saying that a
    program is running (which one we don't know) and need to click end
    task for the coputer to continue.

    the above problems never occur if we never go online and use those
    programs the computer operates and shuts down as normal if we never go
    online.

    a big tia

    len
    --
    happy gardening

    http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

    len gardener, Feb 20, 2004

  2. len gardener

    Wizard Guest

    Reinstall them both and stop dicking with SFC!

    Wizard, Feb 21, 2004

  3. len gardener

    len gardener Guest

    wizard,

    there are 3 programs concerend i have tried to reinstall ie5 but it
    tells me i am running a newer version, i have already tried
    downloading ie 6 and the patch hoping it would fix some problems it
    didn't so i un-installed ie6 through the install/uninstall in my
    coputer icon.

    so should i try uninstalling msn and oex and then reinstalling them?
    then waht should i do about msie 5/6 whatever.

    len

    snipped

    len gardener, Feb 22, 2004