MSI twits

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Deano, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Deano

    Deano Guest

    I bought a replacement motherboard and cpu on Sunday. I'm hooking it up and
    I come to the bit where I want to connect the front USB connectors.

    Motherboard manuals usually describe, via a diagram, what the pins mean. Of
    course the manual decides to omit this for the USB connections but does say;

    "MSI reminds you... Please note that the pins of VCC & GND must be connected
    correctly, or it may cause some damage."

    Well thanks a million.

    A quick search later turns up this;

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/servi...etail.php?L_kind=1&L_CHIP=17&UID=456&NA=KT4AV

    but it only defines the pin for JUSB1 and there is also a JUSB2. I suppose
    the arrangement will be similar but why offer this half-arsed explanation
    and not even include it in the manual?

    Anyone got any tips for this board? I'm hoping I don't break anything.

    Rant over.

    Deano, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Deano

    Deano Guest

    Oh and the board is a MSI KT4A-V (VIA KT400A + 8237 Chipset Based).

    Deano, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Deano wrote:

    > Oh and the board is a MSI KT4A-V (VIA KT400A + 8237 Chipset Based).

    Uhm, I have a KT4plus .... and I remember, there are jumper descriptions in
    the manual.
    When you have a look at
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=614&kind=1
    and download the manual, you will find the usb jumper description on page 19
    (of course, the french translation part :)). The english part seems to be a
    bit messed up.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Deano wrote:
    >
    >> Oh and the board is a MSI KT4A-V (VIA KT400A + 8237 Chipset Based).

    > Uhm, I have a KT4plus .... and I remember, there are jumper descriptions in
    > the manual.
    > When you have a look at
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=614&kind=1
    > and download the manual, you will find the usb jumper description on page 19
    > (of course, the french translation part :)). The english part seems to be a
    > bit messed up.

    Nice work. I went to the manual there, too, and was going to find the
    information in it, but when I saw the size of the file I didn't bother,
    here on the dialup. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 11, 2006
  5. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Deano wrote:
    >
    > > Oh and the board is a MSI KT4A-V (VIA KT400A + 8237 Chipset Based).

    > Uhm, I have a KT4plus .... and I remember, there are jumper descriptions

    in
    > the manual.
    > When you have a look at

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=614&kind=1
    > and download the manual, you will find the usb jumper description on page

    19
    > (of course, the french translation part :)). The english part seems to be

    > bit messed up.

    Indeed it is. Well spotted though, I would not have thought to check the
    French translation :)

    Deano, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > Nice work. I went to the manual there, too, and was going to find the
    > information in it, but when I saw the size of the file I didn't bother,
    > here on the dialup. :)

    BTW I'm now typing this from the new pc - it all worked hunky-dory - though
    I haven't tested the front USB ports yet :)

    Deano, Jul 11, 2006
  7. Deano

    Vanguard Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >I bought a replacement motherboard and cpu on Sunday. I'm hooking it
    >up and
    > I come to the bit where I want to connect the front USB connectors.
    >
    > Motherboard manuals usually describe, via a diagram, what the pins
    > mean. Of
    > course the manual decides to omit this for the USB connections but
    > does say;
    >
    > "MSI reminds you... Please note that the pins of VCC & GND must be
    > connected
    > correctly, or it may cause some damage."
    >
    > Well thanks a million.

    The USB headers are keyed. There is a pin missing. That means the
    connector will have a solid (filled in) position. That is, the solid
    or filled-in position in the header matches with the missing pin on
    the header. The only way you can screw up attaching the connector to
    the header is by misalignment (not by reversing the connector but
    sliding it on so that it is off by a whole row so you end up with pins
    on the header that aren't inserted into the connector). If the *case*
    manufacturer didn't provide a single connector to slide onto the mobo
    USB headers but instead gave you individual 1-pin connectors then it
    is up to you to match each wire with it 1-pin connector to the
    corresponding mobo header pin, so go bitch to the case maker for not
    providing a *keyed* 10-pin header connector.

    Vanguard, Jul 11, 2006
  8. Deano wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Nice work. I went to the manual there, too, and was going to find the
    >> information in it, but when I saw the size of the file I didn't bother,
    >> here on the dialup. :)

    > BTW I'm now typing this from the new pc - it all worked hunky-dory - though
    > I haven't tested the front USB ports yet :)

    I installed a rear-of-box two-USB insert a few years back that ran off
    two headers on my mobo. In theory. In the real world, I never did get
    the bastage to work. I ended up pulling it and buying a USB PCI card
    with four ports, which works fine.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 11, 2006
  9. Deano

    PeeCee Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >>I bought a replacement motherboard and cpu on Sunday. I'm hooking it up
    >>and
    >> I come to the bit where I want to connect the front USB connectors.
    >>
    >> Motherboard manuals usually describe, via a diagram, what the pins mean.
    >> Of
    >> course the manual decides to omit this for the USB connections but does
    >> say;
    >>
    >> "MSI reminds you... Please note that the pins of VCC & GND must be
    >> connected
    >> correctly, or it may cause some damage."
    >>
    >> Well thanks a million.

    > The USB headers are keyed. There is a pin missing. That means the
    > connector will have a solid (filled in) position. That is, the solid or
    > filled-in position in the header matches with the missing pin on the
    > header. The only way you can screw up attaching the connector to the
    > header is by misalignment (not by reversing the connector but sliding it
    > on so that it is off by a whole row so you end up with pins on the header
    > that aren't inserted into the connector). If the *case* manufacturer
    > didn't provide a single connector to slide onto the mobo USB headers but
    > instead gave you individual 1-pin connectors then it is up to you to match
    > each wire with it 1-pin connector to the corresponding mobo header pin, so
    > go bitch to the case maker for not providing a *keyed* 10-pin header
    > connector.

    Don't agree.

    A 'keyed' 10 pin header is not going to be applicable in all situations.

    I recall earlier Gigabyte mb's with the polarity of the second row of pins
    reversed, and the Asus A7V-VE (HP) motherboards with completely mixed up
    pinouts. (gnd, usb pwr, key, sig-, sig+, gnd) ie with two ports a '12' pin
    header is required.
    Mind you I have rearanged 10 pin headers to suit the actual pinouts before
    today.

    All the case makers are doing is allowing the maximum flexability to mount
    various motherboards in their case.
    For technically competent people this creates no problems 'provided' they
    have the pinout information.

    I agree with the OP, the 'Motherboard' maker has screwed up by 'not'
    including USB pinout information in the manual.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 11, 2006
  10. Deano wrote:

    > "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=614&kind=1
    >> and download the manual, you will find the usb jumper description on page

    > 19
    >> (of course, the french translation part :)). The english part seems to be

    >> bit messed up.

    > Indeed it is. Well spotted though, I would not have thought to check the
    > French translation :)

    If I would not have found it on the online document, I might have had to dig
    for my kt4-ultra manual (still running that box, with a XP-2100). I had to
    fiddle with the front usb ports since one was to use for the supplied
    bluetooth dongle, and the other left as only USB2.0 port for the front
    sockets (the other one is dead therefore). All wires were separate,
    fortunately with labelled little black plugs.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 11, 2006
  11. Deano

    Vanguard Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > I agree with the OP, the 'Motherboard' maker has screwed up by 'not'
    > including USB pinout information in the manual.

    Looks like Deano already found the pinout but it was in the French
    language section of the manual. In fact, it was only the English
    section that omitted the diagram while the 4 other language sections
    had it. Shows what happens when QA only does the hardware or software
    testing and never checks the package that actually gets delivered to
    the customer.

    Vanguard, Jul 13, 2006
  12. Deano

    Fred37 Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:36:55 +0100, "Deano" <>
    wrote:

    >I bought a replacement motherboard and cpu on Sunday. I'm hooking it up and
    >I come to the bit where I want to connect the front USB connectors.
    >
    >Motherboard manuals usually describe, via a diagram, what the pins mean. Of
    >course the manual decides to omit this for the USB connections but does say;
    >
    >"MSI reminds you... Please note that the pins of VCC & GND must be connected
    >correctly, or it may cause some damage."
    >
    >Well thanks a million.
    >

    >A quick search later turns up this;
    >
    >http://www.msi.com.tw/program/servi...etail.php?L_kind=1&L_CHIP=17&UID=456&NA=KT4AV
    >
    >but it only defines the pin for JUSB1 and there is also a JUSB2. I suppose
    >the arrangement will be similar but why offer this half-arsed explanation
    >and not even include it in the manual?
    >
    >Anyone got any tips for this board? I'm hoping I don't break anything.
    >
    >Rant over.

    Once upon a time there were competing standards for mobo USB pinouts
    and the VCC and GND were reversed between the two.
    Fred

    Fred37, Jul 13, 2006
  13. Deano

    PeeCee Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I agree with the OP, the 'Motherboard' maker has screwed up by 'not'
    >> including USB pinout information in the manual.

    > Looks like Deano already found the pinout but it was in the French
    > language section of the manual. In fact, it was only the English section
    > that omitted the diagram while the 4 other language sections had it.
    > Shows what happens when QA only does the hardware or software testing and
    > never checks the package that actually gets delivered to the customer.

    I found another 'different' one last night

    ECS K7TA3 AMD Motherboard ex an OEM builder since gone bust.

    Would you believe it had 'both' major variations of the USB pinout on the
    same board!
    Not only that but it had duplicate headers for the front panel (Pwr, Reset,
    Hdd etc) 'and' duplicate headers for the Audio as well (the one at the back
    of the board for connecting front mounted audio sockets)
    Not to mention the other duplicate headers for 'Green LED's etc.

    That would have been a trap for young players, fortunately I had a copy of
    the manual on CD.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 13, 2006