    BIOS boot recovery MSI has talked about on their site.

    My motherboard is the 655-LS Max running AMI bios.

    Thanks

    Dan P, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Dan P

    Palindrome Guest

    Dan P wrote:

    > The other day, my computer started randomly rebooting. I don't know
    > what was doing it, but all of a sudden, it would just restart. Then,
    > it was giving me trouble booting. Now, all I get when I boot is a
    > blank screen. No beeps, my diagnostic LEDs aren't working, just a
    > blank screen. I replaced the CMOS battery and cleared the CMOS, but
    > still, nothing worked. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've tried the
    > BIOS boot recovery MSI has talked about on their site.
    >
    > My motherboard is the 655-LS Max running AMI bios.
    >
    > Thanks

    Sounds like your power supply has given up the ghost, if you have no
    signs of life whatsoever. The previous random reboots could have been
    symptomatic of that - or of a virus infection, btw.

    Or it could be the processor. Say, if it had been overheating and has
    now finally died. You might expect a brief flicker of life as you switch
    the machine on, before the protection circuitry takes over. Hence the
    power supply is favourite.

    Been doing a bit of overclocking?

    Palindrome, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Dan P

    Dan P Guest

    No, no overclocking. My power supply is fine. And my processor is fine
    too. My HDD whirs to life and my CD sometimes spins.

    Dan P, Apr 6, 2004
  4. Dan P

    Palindrome Guest

    Dan P wrote:

    > No, no overclocking. My power supply is fine. And my processor is fine
    > too. My HDD whirs to life and my CD sometimes spins.

    I can only go on what you tell me and you said, " Now, all I get when I
    boot is a blank screen. No beeps, my diagnostic LEDs aren't working,
    just a blank screen." Well, with your new information, there isn't a lot
    left - just the motherboard and memory. Unless, that is, there are other
    things you haven't mentioned, like SCSI cards, intermittent mains
    supplies, or a family of badgers nesting in the box..

    Odds are that it is the mobo. Presumably you have taken the RAM out and
    shoved it back in nice and tight. To do POST you need at least a
    partially working mobo, RAM and cpu. What to do? Small straw to clutch
    at: make sure any socketed anything are nice and tight too. Heating and
    cooling cycles cause socketed chips to slowly but surely walk there way
    out of their sockets. Make sure that the jumper plugs are all in the
    right places. If you have altered any, it is easy to forget and to leave
    them in the wrong place.

    May the luck dragon be with you.

    Palindrome, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Dan P

    Dan P Guest

    Palindrome <> wrote in message news:<c4ss66$2meccp$-berlin.de>...
    > Odds are that it is the mobo. Presumably you have taken the RAM out and
    > shoved it back in nice and tight. To do POST you need at least a
    > partially working mobo, RAM and cpu. What to do? Small straw to clutch
    > at: make sure any socketed anything are nice and tight too. Heating and
    > cooling cycles cause socketed chips to slowly but surely walk there way
    > out of their sockets. Make sure that the jumper plugs are all in the
    > right places. If you have altered any, it is easy to forget and to leave
    > them in the wrong place.

    OK. I'll give that a try. I'll check all my connections with my RAM. I
    already checked the processor and some of the power connections.
    Thanks for the advice.

    Dan P, Apr 6, 2004