MSDE Installation - An actual technical question

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Bryan, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Is there anybody out there using the Thomson/Wave material for exam 70-305?

    I know a lot of you guys will think I'm dumb - but hey if you don't ask you
    don't get!!

    I am trying to install MSDE, the instructions in the training material (page
    378) don't equate to what is actually happening on the computer. So
    basically I have got to forget them and do it (presumably) properly.

    To install MSDE, VS.NET 2003 gives instructions to download the setup file
    from the following link:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=13962. OKAY for now.

    After downloading and installing the package I then issue the appropriate
    command (given on the MS download page, reproduced below). OKAY again...I
    think ;0(

    After extracting the MSDE installation files, open an MS-DOS command
    prompt and change to the directory where you extracted the
    files. MSDE extracts to C:\sql2ksp3\MSDE by default. Run the
    following command to set up MSDE for Visual Studio .NET. Replace <YOUR SA
    PASSWORD> with the systems administrator's password that you would
    like to use:
    Setup.exe /qb+ INSTANCENAME=VSDOTNET DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1
    SAPWD=<YOUR SA PASSWORD>

    Now, when I run MSDE Service Manager, I need, again presumably, to enter a
    Server and Services in the appropriate drop down boxes. There is nothing to
    select and whatever I type doesn't work. Either fails or crashes the service
    manager.

    I know I am probably being as thick as dog s**t, but from this description
    can anybody point me in the right direction to get me back on track?

    Thanks in advance and regards to anybody with sensible help!!!

    Bryan, UK
    Bryan, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Bryan

    Kumar Reddi Guest

    It probably got installed.. Do one thing.. Open the Windows task manager and
    see if a service name sqlservr.exe is running under the SYSTEM username,
    presuming you are running windows XP. or you can even open Configuration
    utility by typing "msconfig" in Start->Run->Open dialog box and then
    clicking on Services tab. You would see MSSQL$VSDOTNET service with a
    checked box with check mark on it. Provided VSDOTNET is the instance name of
    your MSDE... or you can go to Services by going to Administrative tools in
    Control panel and see if you have MSSQL$VSDOTNET with the status of Running
    .. All this indicate if MSDE is running on your computer...I guess if you
    just have MSDE, Service manager "wouldnt show" any services..

    kumar

    Kumar Reddi, Feb 2, 2004