    trick to see what is happening with these glitches.

    Well, OS is Win2K "SP5"; no msconfig.

    Now what?
    Robert Baer, Dec 24, 2013

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Had some spare time, decided to try your msconfig diagnostic mode
    > trick to see what is happening with these glitches.
    >
    > Well, OS is Win2K "SP5"; no msconfig.
    >
    > Now what?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSConfig

    "Windows 95 and Windows 2000 users can download the
    utility as well, although it was not designed for them."

    They recommend copying the file from a WinXP installation here.

    http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

    http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?122984-can-t-run-msconfig-on-win2K

    I can't find any mention it was available as a separate download
    direct from Microsoft. So I don't have a pointer to a "clean" copy.

    Using the virtual machine files here, you should be able to find a
    VHD with the file inside it. Which is an absurd way to get the
    file. I'm not even sure you'd have a way to examine a VHD.
    The VHDMount utility barely runs on WinXP. So even if you
    used virtual machines as a "source of files", you still have the
    problem of accessing them. (The 7ZIP utility won't open a VHD.)

    VHD files come in two types. "Fixed capacity" virtual drives.
    Which are perilously close to being a sector-by-sector copy of
    a real partition. The "expanding" kind though, are not
    exactly the same as a disk image, they use much less space, and
    only contain copies of the in-use sectors. And as such, they're
    not suited to easy hacking. You'll hardly ever find a fixed capacity
    one for download, whereas the expanding capacity ones are quite popular.

    You would need to hunt down a VHD utility of some sort, to make
    more progress using that route.

    If you had a WinXP SP3 installer CD, you should also be
    able to find the file on there. Installer CDs have the files
    compressed, with the extension on the file modified.

    *******

    If you had Windows 7 installed on a partition, you'd then
    be able to run a virtual machine software, and be able to
    access files as contained in the VMs on this page. I have
    several images from here, that I've downloaded. The download
    takes forever on a slow link like I've got. I think the
    last one I did, took five hours.

    http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

    That is how I can run Vista or Windows 7, on my WinXP machine,
    long enough to answer questions. I don't generally leave them
    running for too long. As for "computing" in such an environment,
    my VM software only uses a single core, and I can "compute" faster
    in the native OS. It depends on which VM software you use,
    as to whether it has a core limitation or not. VirtualBox allows
    lots of cores to be used, relative to some other lesser softwares.
    It's just a pain to work with sometimes.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 24, 2013

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Had some spare time, decided to try your msconfig diagnostic mode
    >> trick to see what is happening with these glitches.
    >>
    >> Well, OS is Win2K "SP5"; no msconfig.
    >>
    >> Now what?

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSConfig
    >
    > "Windows 95 and Windows 2000 users can download the
    > utility as well, although it was not designed for them."
    >
    > They recommend copying the file from a WinXP installation here.
    >
    > http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm
    >
    > http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?122984-can-t-run-msconfig-on-win2K
    >
    > I can't find any mention it was available as a separate download
    > direct from Microsoft. So I don't have a pointer to a "clean" copy.
    >
    > Using the virtual machine files here, you should be able to find a
    > VHD with the file inside it. Which is an absurd way to get the
    > file. I'm not even sure you'd have a way to examine a VHD.
    > The VHDMount utility barely runs on WinXP. So even if you
    > used virtual machines as a "source of files", you still have the
    > problem of accessing them. (The 7ZIP utility won't open a VHD.)
    >
    > VHD files come in two types. "Fixed capacity" virtual drives.
    > Which are perilously close to being a sector-by-sector copy of
    > a real partition. The "expanding" kind though, are not
    > exactly the same as a disk image, they use much less space, and
    > only contain copies of the in-use sectors. And as such, they're
    > not suited to easy hacking. You'll hardly ever find a fixed capacity
    > one for download, whereas the expanding capacity ones are quite popular.
    >
    > You would need to hunt down a VHD utility of some sort, to make
    > more progress using that route.
    >
    > If you had a WinXP SP3 installer CD, you should also be
    > able to find the file on there. Installer CDs have the files
    > compressed, with the extension on the file modified.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > If you had Windows 7 installed on a partition, you'd then
    > be able to run a virtual machine software, and be able to
    > access files as contained in the VMs on this page. I have
    > several images from here, that I've downloaded. The download
    > takes forever on a slow link like I've got. I think the
    > last one I did, took five hours.
    >
    > http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads
    >
    > That is how I can run Vista or Windows 7, on my WinXP machine,
    > long enough to answer questions. I don't generally leave them
    > running for too long. As for "computing" in such an environment,
    > my VM software only uses a single core, and I can "compute" faster
    > in the native OS. It depends on which VM software you use,
    > as to whether it has a core limitation or not. VirtualBox allows
    > lots of cores to be used, relative to some other lesser softwares.
    > It's just a pain to work with sometimes.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks!
    Robert Baer, Dec 24, 2013