    it would be nice to keep things tidy.

    bye for now

    Gordon

    SoundBytes, Apr 30, 2006

  2. SoundBytes

    philo Guest

    "SoundBytes" <> wrote in message
    news:6W65g.19982$...
    > Hi People
    > Just been un-ticking a few programs in my start up part of
    > msconfig, PC is running great for the last year, decent firewall and
    > anit-virus etc, I was wondering that my startup part of the msconfig is
    > now full of unticked boxes for programs I dont want to start up when they
    > want. is it possible to take out the entries? I sure there are some for
    > programs I no longer use and have uninstalled...... Anyway, no problems if
    > it can't be done, just thought it would be nice to keep things tidy.
    >
    > bye for now
    >

    > Gordon

    here's an article

    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=27708&messageID=312244

    the only fault i could find is that with XP
    there is not a registry backup per se...however you can create a rstore
    point

    philo, Apr 30, 2006

  3. SoundBytes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:6W65g.19982$,
    SoundBytes spewed forth:
    > Hi People
    > Just been un-ticking a few programs in my start up part of
    > msconfig, PC is running great for the last year, decent firewall and
    > anit-virus etc, I was wondering that my startup part of the msconfig
    > is now full of unticked boxes for programs I dont want to start up
    > when they want. is it possible to take out the entries? I sure there
    > are some for programs I no longer use and have uninstalled......
    > Anyway, no problems if it can't be done, just thought it would be
    > nice to keep things tidy.
    > bye for now
    >

    > Gordon

    You're right - getting rid of the original startup entry is the best way to
    go. But it usually requires editing your registry. Some things may be taken
    care of running ccleaner.exe (http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp).

    MSConfig will tell you WHERE the startup program command originates. Look
    at the "Location" column (you may need to expand the width of the column to
    see the full location.) If you go to that location in the registry, startup
    folder, etc. you can delete it.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  4. SoundBytes

    beenthere Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:6W65g.19982$,
    > SoundBytes spewed forth:
    >> Hi People
    >> Just been un-ticking a few programs in my start up part of
    >> msconfig, PC is running great for the last year, decent firewall and
    >> anit-virus etc, I was wondering that my startup part of the msconfig
    >> is now full of unticked boxes for programs I dont want to start up
    >> when they want. is it possible to take out the entries? I sure there
    >> are some for programs I no longer use and have uninstalled......
    >> Anyway, no problems if it can't be done, just thought it would be
    >> nice to keep things tidy.
    >> bye for now
    >>

    >> Gordon

    > You're right - getting rid of the original startup entry is the best way
    > to go. But it usually requires editing your registry. Some things may be
    > taken care of running ccleaner.exe
    > (http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp).
    >
    > MSConfig will tell you WHERE the startup program command originates. Look
    > at the "Location" column (you may need to expand the width of the column
    > to see the full location.) If you go to that location in the registry,
    > startup folder, etc. you can delete it.

    Never mind all that waffle. Where have you been ?. <g>.

    beenthere, Apr 30, 2006
  5. SoundBytes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:b875g.8827$,
    beenthere spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:6W65g.19982$,
    >> SoundBytes spewed forth:
    >>> Hi People
    >>> Just been un-ticking a few programs in my start up part of
    >>> msconfig, PC is running great for the last year, decent firewall and
    >>> anit-virus etc, I was wondering that my startup part of the msconfig
    >>> is now full of unticked boxes for programs I dont want to start up
    >>> when they want. is it possible to take out the entries? I sure there
    >>> are some for programs I no longer use and have uninstalled......
    >>> Anyway, no problems if it can't be done, just thought it would be
    >>> nice to keep things tidy.
    >>> bye for now
    >>>

    >>> Gordon

    >> You're right - getting rid of the original startup entry is the best
    >> way to go. But it usually requires editing your registry. Some
    >> things may be taken care of running ccleaner.exe
    >> (http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp).
    >>
    >> MSConfig will tell you WHERE the startup program command originates.
    >> Look at the "Location" column (you may need to expand the width of
    >> the column to see the full location.) If you go to that location in
    >> the registry, startup folder, etc. you can delete it.
    >>

    > Never mind all that waffle. Where have you been ?. <g>.

    Beenthere, beenback...

    Vacation time. Put a couple thousand miles on the car driving through
    Washington apple country - dam watching on the Columbia River. They don't do
    much, do they? <g>

    Despite the cost of gas, a driving vacation is still pretty cheap.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  6. SoundBytes

    > In news:b875g.8827$,
    > beenthere spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:6W65g.19982$,
    >>> SoundBytes spewed forth:

    >>> You're right - getting rid of the original startup entry is the best
    >>> way to go. But it usually requires editing your registry. Some
    >>> things may be taken care of running ccleaner.exe
    >>> (http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp).
    >>>
    >>> MSConfig will tell you WHERE the startup program command originates.
    >>> Look at the "Location" column (you may need to expand the width of
    >>> the column to see the full location.) If you go to that location in
    >>> the registry, startup folder, etc. you can delete it.
    >>>

    >> Never mind all that waffle. Where have you been ?. <g>.
    >>

    > Beenthere, beenback...
    >
    > Vacation time. Put a couple thousand miles on the car driving through
    > Washington apple country - dam watching on the Columbia River. They don't
    > do much, do they? <g>
    >
    > Despite the cost of gas, a driving vacation is still pretty cheap.

    Well done that man, hope you had fun. You`re right they`re
    dam boring <g>.

    beenthere, Apr 30, 2006
  7. SoundBytes

    philo Guest

    <snip>
    >> Despite the cost of gas, a driving vacation is still pretty cheap.
    >>

    > Well done that man, hope you had fun. You`re right they`re
    > dam boring <g>.

    wow...I can barely drive for more than 4 hours.

    philo, Apr 30, 2006
  8. SoundBytes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    philo spewed forth:
    > <snip>
    >>> Despite the cost of gas, a driving vacation is still pretty cheap.
    >>>

    >> Well done that man, hope you had fun. You`re right they`re
    >> dam boring <g>.
    >>

    > wow...I can barely drive for more than 4 hours.

    I have a trip in the middle of May - one day drive. 14 hours actual driving,
    plus stops for gas, breaks, meals. And I lose an hour in the time zone
    change. Then I spend three days there, and drive back. I'm hoping to split
    the trip back into two days though.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  9. SoundBytes

    philo Guest

    <snip>
    >> wow...I can barely drive for more than 4 hours.

    > I have a trip in the middle of May - one day drive. 14 hours actual
    > driving, plus stops for gas, breaks, meals. And I lose an hour in the time
    > zone change. Then I spend three days there, and drive back. I'm hoping to
    > split the trip back into two days though.

    Years ago I was going to go to Florida (from Wisconsin) on vacation.
    never got past Tennessee !

    philo, Apr 30, 2006
  10. SoundBytes

    fkasner Guest

    philo wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>> wow...I can barely drive for more than 4 hours.

    >> I have a trip in the middle of May - one day drive. 14 hours actual
    >> driving, plus stops for gas, breaks, meals. And I lose an hour in the time
    >> zone change. Then I spend three days there, and drive back. I'm hoping to
    >> split the trip back into two days though.
    >>

    > Years ago I was going to go to Florida (from Wisconsin) on vacation.
    > never got past Tennessee !

    When I was in grad school - ages ago before interstates - I used to
    drive from Chicago to NYC in about 23 or 24 hours. I did that without
    any overnight stay anywhere. Now this old man tires out after about 2
    hours of driving.
    FK

    fkasner, May 1, 2006
  11. SoundBytes

    Bishoop Guest

    > Hi People
    > Just been un-ticking a few programs in my start up part of
    > msconfig, PC is running great for the last year, decent firewall and
    > anit-virus etc, I was wondering that my startup part of the msconfig is
    > now full of unticked boxes for programs I dont want to start up when they
    > want. is it possible to take out the entries? I sure there are some for
    > programs I no longer use and have uninstalled...... Anyway, no problems if
    > it can't be done, just thought it would be nice to keep things tidy.
    >
    > bye for now
    >

    > Gordon

    Try Mike Lin's web site for a good utility to disable/delete startup stuff.

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Bishoop, May 1, 2006
  12. SoundBytes

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:qsc5g.79180$,
    fkasner spewed forth:
    > philo wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> I have a trip in the middle of May - one day drive. 14 hours actual
    >>> driving, plus stops for gas, breaks, meals. And I lose an hour in
    >>> the time zone change. Then I spend three days there, and drive
    >>> back. I'm hoping to split the trip back into two days though.
    >>>

    >> Years ago I was going to go to Florida (from Wisconsin) on vacation.
    >> never got past Tennessee !
    >>

    > When I was in grad school - ages ago before interstates - I used to
    > drive from Chicago to NYC in about 23 or 24 hours. I did that without
    > any overnight stay anywhere. Now this old man tires out after about 2
    > hours of driving.
    > FK

    I hear you - barely (I'm losing my hearing faster than my memory <g>)

    I stop every 3 hours or so - stretch, eliminate the remnants of whatever
    caffeine delivery system I'm currently utilizing, all that kind of stuff.

    Toolman Tim, May 1, 2006
  13. SoundBytes

    fkasner Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:qsc5g.79180$,
    > fkasner spewed forth:
    >> philo wrote:
    >>> <snip>
    >>>>

    >>> Years ago I was going to go to Florida (from Wisconsin) on vacation.
    >>> never got past Tennessee !
    >>>

    >> When I was in grad school - ages ago before interstates - I used to
    >> drive from Chicago to NYC in about 23 or 24 hours. I did that without
    >> any overnight stay anywhere. Now this old man tires out after about 2
    >> hours of driving.
    >> FK

    > I hear you - barely (I'm losing my hearing faster than my memory <g>)
    >
    > I stop every 3 hours or so - stretch, eliminate the remnants of whatever
    > caffeine delivery system I'm currently utilizing, all that kind of stuff.

    I'm glad you wrote that (my vision is still sort of OK) and didn't call
    me on the telephone. I usually have to ask people to speak up when on
    the phone.
    FK

    fkasner, May 1, 2006
  14. SoundBytes

    Ben Myers Guest

    First, start regedit and find the following registry keys.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Beneath each key, look for a similar key followed by a hyphen(Run-, RunServices-).
    This is where some of the disabled entries are stored. You can delete individual items in
    the right window or the entire key. Then check the
    "C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Disabled Startup Items" folder and move or delete
    any unwanted items. Finally, open "c:\windows\win.ini", find the "[windows]" section
    and remove any lines that begin with "norun=". or "noload=".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, May 2, 2006