    and see what happens, but I don't like playing with fire. It's too easy
    to get burned. I'm running Windows 98SE. Thanks.

    , Jan 3, 2004

  2. Harrison Guest

    msconfig doesn't tell the whole story.
    For a better look at what your system is doing,
    Download and run hijackthis from http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    and paste the results here for further review.

    Harrison, Jan 3, 2004

  3. °Mike° Guest

    Run StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 21:44:41 -0500, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >When I run msconfig, and look at the Startup tab, the very first line
    >has a box checked, but nothing to describe what it is. Has anyone else
    >seen something of the same? I imagine I could uncheck the box, reboot
    >and see what happens, but I don't like playing with fire. It's too easy
    >to get burned. I'm running Windows 98SE. Thanks.

    That type of situation is most often associated with virus/trojan
    related programs or with advertising spyware.

    Make certain that your antivirus software is completely up to date,
    with the virus definition files not more than 10 days old, and do a
    complete virus scan of your computer.

    Also download, install, update and run AdAware (free) from
    www.lavasoft.de to clean spyware from your machine.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --