MSCONFIG? question about startup programs

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by todd198126, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. todd198126

    todd198126 Guest

    As you may have guessed by my posts im a bit of a novice to be honest,i have
    a question im hoping you can answer.I have installed some software onto my
    (Vista 64 bit home basic) pc,unfortunately it starts up when i boot up-this
    is a pain as its not needed at all.I only need the software occasionally,not
    very time i turn the pc on.So i couldnt see any settings in the options of
    the software to stop this,and i have checked right through it.So i went to
    the help pages and it told me to type in 'msconfig' into the run/search
    box.It brought up the settings and i was able to adjust the programs i didnt
    want to come on at startup.Fantastic!all sorted i thought but the problem is
    every time i boot up/turn on a little bubble pops up along with an icon in
    the tray telling me i have some software stopped from coming on at
    startup.This happens every time i boot up and its pretty annoying for me to
    have to click on the bubble nad exit the icon from the tray each time.Is
    there any way i can stop this from happening please??I have been through it
    and cant see a way to cease it,if you know a way round it or how to solve the
    problem please let me know.Thanks again for your help folks (I apologise for
    being a complete dim-wit!)

    todd198126, Mar 25, 2008

  2. todd198126

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Todd.

    Novices are welcome here! And I doubt that you are a "complete dim-wit",
    but those are welcome, too. But even a novice or a dim-wit needs to learn
    how to present a question in a way that invites an answer. Your post
    appeared on my screen as a single paragraph run together in a way that makes
    it almost impossible for me to read. When I try, it takes me a few lines
    just to get through your beginning apology. In fact, it makes me want to
    skip your message entirely and go on to the next one.

    > I have installed some software onto my
    > (Vista 64 bit home basic) pc,

    Why don't you tell us WHICH software? Now we have to ask and wait for your

    Panel | Programs and Features and uninstall that software. Finally, install
    it again (if you still want to use it) and watch very carefully during
    installation for a check box (maybe hidden or buried in some gobbledygook
    language) that says to start it when Windows starts. Some programs present
    such options ONLY during Setup.

    But if you tell us the name of your software, someone here just might
    recognize it and have some better advice.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Here's a trick that I learned recently. I don't think I've ever seen it
    documented anywhere...

    Open an elevated command prompt. From the command prompt, type:

    msconfig /commit:n

    where "n" is the number of the tab you want to commit.

    Hope that helps.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64