'msconfig' not recognised

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Moke Gibboni, Dec 28, 2008.

  1. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    I have Windows XP and have tried to access my startup list by entering
    'msconfig' in the 'run' menu under 'start' at the bottom left of my monitor
    screen.A window pops up saying that 'Windows cannot find msconfig'. I've
    done a virus scan with 'Avast', spyware scans with other protection software
    that I use on regular occasions. No viruses or spyware was found. I also
    conducted a full disk check. There didn't appear to be any errors there at
    all.

    I also tried a system restore, but this just resulted in an 'unable to do a
    system restore'. I tried 3 other restore points, with the same message, so
    no luck there either.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Moke G.

    'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 28, 2008

  2. Moke Gibboni

    doS Guest

    google for msconfig and download it, it goes in the system 32 folder,i do
    this with win 2000 also

    doS, Dec 28, 2008

  3. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    > google for msconfig and download it, it goes in the system 32 folder,i do
    > this with win 2000 also

    Thanks for that dos. That worked fine. 'msconfig' must have got deleted
    somehow. I've also deleted all the system restore points and started again
    with a fresh restore point.

    Everything seems to be fine now.

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 28, 2008
  4. Moke Gibboni

    doS Guest

    good deal.

    doS, Dec 28, 2008
  5. Moke Gibboni

    VanguardLH Guest

    Moke Gibboni wrote:

    > I have Windows XP and have tried to access my startup list by entering
    > 'msconfig' in the 'run' menu under 'start' at the bottom left of my monitor
    > screen.A window pops up saying that 'Windows cannot find msconfig'. I've
    > done a virus scan with 'Avast', spyware scans with other protection software
    > that I use on regular occasions. No viruses or spyware was found. I also
    > conducted a full disk check. There didn't appear to be any errors there at
    > all.
    >
    > I also tried a system restore, but this just resulted in an 'unable to do a
    > system restore'. I tried 3 other restore points, with the same message, so
    > no luck there either.
    >
    > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Moke G.
    >
    > 'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'

    msconfig.exe will not be found using the PATH environment variable. It
    is found using a registry extension to the PATH that defines paths to
    specific applications:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

    Each subkey under here specifies the name of the application (as the
    subkey's name) and the path to file for that application. For this app,
    there should be a subkey named MSCONFIG.EXE and its Default data item's
    value should point to (and the file should exist at):

    C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

    So check if that registry subkey for MSCONFIG.EXE is missing under the
    above mentioned registry key, and check if the msconfig.exe exists in
    the path mentioned above. If either is missing, something deleted them
    and that something could be malware.

    KB article on a similar issue and how to resolve:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888018

    VanguardLH, Dec 28, 2008
  6. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >
    >> I have Windows XP and have tried to access my startup list by entering
    >> 'msconfig' in the 'run' menu under 'start' at the bottom left of my
    >> monitor
    >> screen.A window pops up saying that 'Windows cannot find msconfig'. I've
    >> done a virus scan with 'Avast', spyware scans with other protection
    >> software
    >> that I use on regular occasions. No viruses or spyware was found. I also
    >> conducted a full disk check. There didn't appear to be any errors there
    >> at
    >> all.
    >>
    >> I also tried a system restore, but this just resulted in an 'unable to do
    >> system restore'. I tried 3 other restore points, with the same message,
    >> so
    >> no luck there either.
    >>
    >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Moke G.
    >>
    >> 'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the
    >> job.'

    > msconfig.exe will not be found using the PATH environment variable. It
    > is found using a registry extension to the PATH that defines paths to
    > specific applications:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    >
    > Each subkey under here specifies the name of the application (as the
    > subkey's name) and the path to file for that application. For this app,
    > there should be a subkey named MSCONFIG.EXE and its Default data item's
    > value should point to (and the file should exist at):
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe
    >
    > So check if that registry subkey for MSCONFIG.EXE is missing under the
    > above mentioned registry key, and check if the msconfig.exe exists in
    > the path mentioned above. If either is missing, something deleted them
    > and that something could be malware.
    >
    > KB article on a similar issue and how to resolve:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888018

    Hi Vanguard - Had a look in those 2 locations and msconfig.exe appeared in
    both, but I did follow 'dos'' advice and downloaded and placed the
    msconfig.exe in the 'system32' folder before I followed your advice.

    Also, do you know why my PC refused to do a system restore?

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  7. Moke Gibboni

    VanguardLH Guest

    Moke Gibboni wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have Windows XP and have tried to access my startup list by entering
    >>> 'msconfig' in the 'run' menu under 'start' at the bottom left of my
    >>> monitor
    >>> screen.A window pops up saying that 'Windows cannot find msconfig'. I've
    >>> done a virus scan with 'Avast', spyware scans with other protection
    >>> software
    >>> that I use on regular occasions. No viruses or spyware was found. I also
    >>> conducted a full disk check. There didn't appear to be any errors there
    >>> at
    >>> all.
    >>>
    >>> I also tried a system restore, but this just resulted in an 'unable to do
    >>> system restore'. I tried 3 other restore points, with the same message,
    >>> so
    >>> no luck there either.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Moke G.
    >>>
    >>> 'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the
    >>> job.'

    >> msconfig.exe will not be found using the PATH environment variable. It
    >> is found using a registry extension to the PATH that defines paths to
    >> specific applications:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    >>
    >> Each subkey under here specifies the name of the application (as the
    >> subkey's name) and the path to file for that application. For this app,
    >> there should be a subkey named MSCONFIG.EXE and its Default data item's
    >> value should point to (and the file should exist at):
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe
    >>
    >> So check if that registry subkey for MSCONFIG.EXE is missing under the
    >> above mentioned registry key, and check if the msconfig.exe exists in
    >> the path mentioned above. If either is missing, something deleted them
    >> and that something could be malware.
    >>
    >> KB article on a similar issue and how to resolve:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888018

    > Hi Vanguard - Had a look in those 2 locations and msconfig.exe appeared in
    > both, but I did follow 'dos'' advice and downloaded and placed the
    > msconfig.exe in the 'system32' folder before I followed your advice.

    The PATH environment variable includes, by default the %windir%\system32
    folder and why placing an executable there means it would be found by
    tracing through the folders specified in the PATH variable. That's not
    the normal home for msconfig.exe. You could've also placed it in any
    folder and ran it from there either from a DOS prompt where that folder
    was the default or by specifying the full path name to the executable.

    > Also, do you know why my PC refused to do a system restore?

    Is it enabled? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
    Are there any restore points? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
    What was the error message?

    VanguardLH, Dec 29, 2008
  8. Moke Gibboni

    > Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >
    >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    >>> msconfig.exe will not be found using the PATH environment variable. It
    >>> is found using a registry extension to the PATH that defines paths to
    >>> specific applications:
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    >>>
    >>> Each subkey under here specifies the name of the application (as the
    >>> subkey's name) and the path to file for that application. For this app,
    >>> there should be a subkey named MSCONFIG.EXE and its Default data item's
    >>> value should point to (and the file should exist at):
    >>>
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe
    >>>
    >>> So check if that registry subkey for MSCONFIG.EXE is missing under the
    >>> above mentioned registry key, and check if the msconfig.exe exists in
    >>> the path mentioned above. If either is missing, something deleted them
    >>> and that something could be malware.
    >>>
    >>> KB article on a similar issue and how to resolve:
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888018

    >> Hi Vanguard - Had a look in those 2 locations and msconfig.exe appeared
    >> in
    >> both, but I did follow 'dos'' advice and downloaded and placed the
    >> msconfig.exe in the 'system32' folder before I followed your advice.

    > The PATH environment variable includes, by default the %windir%\system32
    > folder and why placing an executable there means it would be found by
    > tracing through the folders specified in the PATH variable. That's not
    > the normal home for msconfig.exe. You could've also placed it in any
    > folder and ran it from there either from a DOS prompt where that folder
    > was the default or by specifying the full path name to the executable.
    >
    >> Also, do you know why my PC refused to do a system restore?

    > Is it enabled? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
    > Are there any restore points? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
    > What was the error message?

    Yes, it was enabled and there were loads of restore points going back a
    couple of months. The fault window was as stated above 'unable to do a
    system restore' after my attempt at doing a restore on 3 separate date
    occasions.

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  9. Moke Gibboni

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <PlW5l.58650$2>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    >>> The PATH environment variable includes, by default the %windir%\system32
    >>> folder and why placing an executable there means it would be found by
    >>> tracing through the folders specified in the PATH variable. That's not
    >>> the normal home for msconfig.exe. You could've also placed it in any
    >>> folder and ran it from there either from a DOS prompt where that folder
    >>> was the default or by specifying the full path name to the executable.

    >>> Is it enabled? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
    >>> Are there any restore points? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)
    >>> What was the error message?

    >> Yes, it was enabled and there were loads of restore points going back a
    >> couple of months. The fault window was as stated above 'unable to do a
    >> system restore' after my attempt at doing a restore on 3 separate date
    >> occasions.

    > Are you attempting this system restore as the Administrator? IOW, do
    > you have permission to do a system restore?
    >
    > Could be some sort of malware interfering with the system restore.

    Malware is what I suspect. It doesn't want you to control any startups
    so it made msconfig.exe unavailable. It doesn't want you to revert to a
    registry snapshot at an earlier time to remove its entries there,
    including its startup entries.

    >> Moke G.
    >>
    >> 'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'

    Learn to properly configure OE to put this "stuff" in the *signature* of
    your posts (i.e., after the "-- " sigdash delimiter line), not in its
    body. Off-topic fluff like this goes in your signature - unless you
    really are here masquerading under the guise of asking for help (which
    makes spam your post).

    VanguardLH, Dec 29, 2008
  10. Moke Gibboni

    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> In article <PlW5l.58650$2>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, it was enabled and there were loads of restore points going back a
    >>> couple of months. The fault window was as stated above 'unable to do a
    >>> system restore' after my attempt at doing a restore on 3 separate date
    >>> occasions.

    >> Are you attempting this system restore as the Administrator? IOW, do
    >> you have permission to do a system restore?
    >>
    >> Could be some sort of malware interfering with the system restore.

    > Malware is what I suspect. It doesn't want you to control any startups
    > so it made msconfig.exe unavailable. It doesn't want you to revert to a
    > registry snapshot at an earlier time to remove its entries there,
    > including its startup entries.
    >
    >>> Moke G.
    >>>
    >>> 'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the
    >>> job.'

    > Learn to properly configure OE to put this "stuff" in the *signature* of
    > your posts (i.e., after the "-- " sigdash delimiter line), not in its
    > body. Off-topic fluff like this goes in your signature - unless you
    > really are here masquerading under the guise of asking for help (which
    > makes spam your post).

    Never had any problems restoring in the past. I don't know if I'm the
    administrator or not, but all I know is that I log in with a username and
    password to start up the OS.

    Sorry, but don't understand your last paragraph - bit too technical for me
    that one. I've always assumed that 'spamming' means trying to sell
    something. Well I can absolutely assure you that that is nonsense! Nothing
    to sell here!

    Scanned my PC with AdAware;Malwarebytes Anti-Malware; Spybot Search &
    Destroy and Avast, and no problems found after a thourough scan of all the
    partitioned drive.

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  11. VanguardLH wrote:

    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> In article <PlW5l.58650$2>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    Why the heck is everyone here too lazy to _trim_ the post? My scrollwheel is
    already worn out ...

    > Learn to properly configure OE to put this "stuff" in the *signature* of
    > your posts (i.e., after the "-- " sigdash delimiter line), not in its
    > body. Off-topic fluff like this goes in your signature - unless you
    > really are here masquerading under the guise of asking for help (which
    > makes spam your post).

    Bill didn't. You are replying to the wrong person here.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 29, 2008
  12. Moke Gibboni

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:45:31 +0000, Moke Gibboni wrote:

    >> Learn to properly configure OE to put this "stuff" in the *signature*
    >> of your posts (i.e., after the "-- " sigdash delimiter line), not in
    >> its body. Off-topic fluff like this goes in your signature - unless
    >> you really are here masquerading under the guise of asking for help
    >> (which makes spam your post).

    > Sorry, but don't understand your last paragraph - bit too technical for
    > me that one.

    It's not technical at all. You were merely being told the correct way to
    enter a signature file in a newsgroup post.

    After you've typed your post/reply there should be at least one line of
    white space (y'know, no writing) then on the line before your signature
    file, which should consist of no more than four lines, there should be
    what's called a 'sig delimiter' which consists of three characters- two
    hyphens and a space- followed by a hard return (that means hit the enter
    button). Your sig goes below this delimiter.

    Properly configured newsreaders will then strip this delimiter and
    everything below it when someone posts a reply to what you have written.

    See my sig below. The delimiter (hyphen, hyphen, space, return) and any
    text below it should be stripped automatically when you reply.

    Too technical, my arse.

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com

    Aardvark, Dec 29, 2008
  13. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:45:31 +0000, Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >
    >>> Learn to properly configure OE to put this "stuff" in the *signature*
    >>> of your posts (i.e., after the "-- " sigdash delimiter line), not in
    >>> its body. Off-topic fluff like this goes in your signature - unless
    >>> you really are here masquerading under the guise of asking for help
    >>> (which makes spam your post).

    >> Sorry, but don't understand your last paragraph - bit too technical for
    >> me that one.

    > It's not technical at all. You were merely being told the correct way to
    > enter a signature file in a newsgroup post.
    >
    > After you've typed your post/reply there should be at least one line of
    > white space (y'know, no writing) then on the line before your signature
    > file, which should consist of no more than four lines, there should be
    > what's called a 'sig delimiter' which consists of three characters- two
    > hyphens and a space- followed by a hard return (that means hit the enter
    > button). Your sig goes below this delimiter.
    >
    > Properly configured newsreaders will then strip this delimiter and
    > everything below it when someone posts a reply to what you have written.
    >
    > See my sig below. The delimiter (hyphen, hyphen, space, return) and any
    > text below it should be stripped automatically when you reply.
    >
    > Too technical, my arse.
    >

    > --
    > Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    > http://www.liverpool08.com

    Crikey - I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense. Sorry mate, but you'll
    just have to put up with whatever format I happen to type. I mean does it
    really matter for heaven's sake!

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  14. Moke Gibboni

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:58:32 +0000, Moke Gibboni wrote:

    >> It's not technical at all. You were merely being told the correct way
    >> to enter a signature file in a newsgroup post.
    >>
    >> After you've typed your post/reply there should be at least one line of
    >> white space (y'know, no writing) then on the line before your signature
    >> file, which should consist of no more than four lines, there should be
    >> what's called a 'sig delimiter' which consists of three characters- two
    >> hyphens and a space- followed by a hard return (that means hit the
    >> enter button). Your sig goes below this delimiter.
    >>
    >> Properly configured newsreaders will then strip this delimiter and
    >> everything below it when someone posts a reply to what you have
    >> written.
    >>
    >> See my sig below. The delimiter (hyphen, hyphen, space, return) and any
    >> text below it should be stripped automatically when you reply.
    >>
    >> Too technical, my arse.
    >>

    > Crikey - I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense.

    What, finding your signature file in OE and typing three characters and a
    hard return at its start? You only ever have to do it once.

    > Sorry mate, but
    > you'll just have to put up with whatever format I happen to type.

    Never heard of netiquette, have you Einstein?

    > I mean
    > does it really matter for heaven's sake!

    Quite a lot of the time, yes. For instance- along with your reply to my
    last post your newsreader (that's a laugh) failed to strip my sig and I
    just had to do it manually. Because you don't have a properly formatted
    sig delimiter line I have to manually remove your 'sig'. It's only
    necessary to read someone's sig once, at the bottom of their post. If,
    for instance, you and I were to post multiple replies in succession to
    one another and neither of our newsreaders stripped sigs there is the
    possibility that in the last post in the series most of the content might
    very well be your 'sig' multiple times and my sig an equal number of
    times.

    Do everyone who has a proper newsreader a favour. Take the ten seconds it
    would take you to open your sig file and type 'hyphen-hyphen-space-
    return' at the beginning. Then click save. Then you'll never again get
    shit from people about a fucked up sig. Quite a return for you on a one-
    time investment of ten seconds.

    > Moke G.

    Whatever.

    Aardvark, Dec 29, 2008
  15. Moke Gibboni wrote:

    > Crikey - I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense.

    Crikey - it seems to me that your attitude toward the people who are
    offereing the help you came here for, is rather cheeky.

    How do you place your sig in your posts? Copy and paste? That's the
    wrong way. See this PDF for real sig setup.
    http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/departments/ITS/mtt/outlook_signaturefile.pdf

    > Sorry mate, but you'll just have to put up with whatever format I
    > happen to type. I mean does it really matter for heaven's sake!

    It's good netiquette. It is accepted Usenet protocol. It matters a lot
    to some, who may now be influenced into adding you to their kill files,
    thus preventing you from receiving the help you desire.

    But that is your choice, of course.

    > Moke G.

    Your sig delimiter goes just above the "Moke G." line.

    --
    -the preceding line ("-- ") is my sig delimiter
    -there is no copyright; feel free to copy'n'paste

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 29, 2008
  16. Moke Gibboni

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:48:33 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > -the preceding line ("-- ") is my sig delimiter
    > -there is no copyright; feel free to copy'n'paste

    :)

    Aardvark, Dec 29, 2008
  17. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:58:32 +0000, Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >
    >>> It's not technical at all. You were merely being told the correct way
    >>> to enter a signature file in a newsgroup post.
    >>>
    >>> After you've typed your post/reply there should be at least one line of
    >>> white space (y'know, no writing) then on the line before your signature
    >>> file, which should consist of no more than four lines, there should be
    >>> what's called a 'sig delimiter' which consists of three characters- two
    >>> hyphens and a space- followed by a hard return (that means hit the
    >>> enter button). Your sig goes below this delimiter.
    >>>
    >>> Properly configured newsreaders will then strip this delimiter and
    >>> everything below it when someone posts a reply to what you have
    >>> written.
    >>>
    >>> See my sig below. The delimiter (hyphen, hyphen, space, return) and any
    >>> text below it should be stripped automatically when you reply.
    >>>
    >>> Too technical, my arse.
    >>>

    >> Crikey - I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense.

    > What, finding your signature file in OE and typing three characters and a
    > hard return at its start? You only ever have to do it once.
    >
    >> Sorry mate, but
    >> you'll just have to put up with whatever format I happen to type.

    > Never heard of netiquette, have you Einstein?
    >
    >> I mean
    >> does it really matter for heaven's sake!
    >>

    > Quite a lot of the time, yes. For instance- along with your reply to my
    > last post your newsreader (that's a laugh) failed to strip my sig and I
    > just had to do it manually. Because you don't have a properly formatted
    > sig delimiter line I have to manually remove your 'sig'. It's only
    > necessary to read someone's sig once, at the bottom of their post. If,
    > for instance, you and I were to post multiple replies in succession to
    > one another and neither of our newsreaders stripped sigs there is the
    > possibility that in the last post in the series most of the content might
    > very well be your 'sig' multiple times and my sig an equal number of
    > times.
    >
    > Do everyone who has a proper newsreader a favour. Take the ten seconds it
    > would take you to open your sig file and type 'hyphen-hyphen-space-
    > return' at the beginning. Then click save. Then you'll never again get
    > shit from people about a fucked up sig. Quite a return for you on a one-
    > time investment of ten seconds.

    Ok Aardvark, but to be quite honest with you, I haven't posted very often on
    newsgroups during the last 8 years I've had a PC and this is the first I've
    ever come across this signature problem.

    Well, I'm an ameniable sort of chap, so let's give it a go shall we? I'll
    try the dash dash space return before my signature and see if works ok. Just
    a thought though - do I need to set something up in OE itself, because up to
    now I've just copied and pasted my signature from a notepad file from
    outside OE? I saw a reference labelled 'signature' in one of the menus in
    OE, but it was greyed out, so wasn't able to access it. Anyway, I'll try
    this to see if it works. If it doesn't, we'll have to think again.

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  18. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    > Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >
    >> Crikey - I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense.

    > Crikey - it seems to me that your attitude toward the people who are
    > offereing the help you came here for, is rather cheeky.
    >
    > How do you place your sig in your posts? Copy and paste? That's the
    > wrong way. See this PDF for real sig setup.
    > http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/departments/ITS/mtt/outlook_signaturefile.pdf
    >
    >> Sorry mate, but you'll just have to put up with whatever format I
    >> happen to type. I mean does it really matter for heaven's sake!

    > It's good netiquette. It is accepted Usenet protocol. It matters a lot
    > to some, who may now be influenced into adding you to their kill files,
    > thus preventing you from receiving the help you desire.

    Hmm - interesting. Well I certainly don't wish to fall out with anyone who
    gives help on here. I think I've heard of a killfile mentioned before, but
    haven't got a clue what it means or what it does. In any casy, please see my
    response below with (hopefully) the correct action. Better not sign anything
    at this stage, just in case - LOL!

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  19. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    > Moke Gibboni wrote:
    >
    >> Crikey - I couldn't be arsed with all that nonsense.

    > Crikey - it seems to me that your attitude toward the people who are
    > offereing the help you came here for, is rather cheeky.
    >
    > How do you place your sig in your posts? Copy and paste? That's the
    > wrong way. See this PDF for real sig setup.
    > http://www.rcs.k12.tn.us/rc/departments/ITS/mtt/outlook_signaturefile.pdf
    >
    >> Sorry mate, but you'll just have to put up with whatever format I
    >> happen to type. I mean does it really matter for heaven's sake!

    > It's good netiquette. It is accepted Usenet protocol. It matters a lot
    > to some, who may now be influenced into adding you to their kill files,
    > thus preventing you from receiving the help you desire.
    >
    > But that is your choice, of course.
    >
    >> Moke G.

    > Your sig delimiter goes just above the "Moke G." line.
    >
    > --
    > -the preceding line ("-- ") is my sig delimiter
    > -there is no copyright; feel free to copy'n'paste

    OK, just give me a few minutes to read that link and sort it out. Well, you
    learn something new everyday don't you. My strengths with PC's are in virus
    protection and I help quite a few friends with that, but as they say,
    there's always someone who knows more than you!

    There are people I know who have been buying PC's this Christmas and they
    don't even know what an operating system is - I wouldn't say I'm quite that
    bad LOL!

    (no signature for the moment until I've got it sorted).

    Moke Gibboni, Dec 29, 2008
  20. Moke Gibboni

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:54:56 +0000, Moke Gibboni wrote:

    > Ok Aardvark, but to be quite honest with you, I haven't posted very
    > often on newsgroups during the last 8 years I've had a PC and this is
    > the first I've ever come across this signature problem.

    Depends on what NGs you've been posting in.

    In groups frequented by more knowledgeable posters (I don't necessarily
    include myself in that group) you'll get a ton of shit dropped on you
    from a great height for some things you may view as totally unimportant.
    The main reason you may view these things as not worth bothering about is
    probably mainly because you use OE as a newsreader. Try installing a
    proper newsreader and giving it a trial run and you'll be in a better
    position to see which things are important with regard to posting in NGs.

    > Well, I'm an ameniable sort of chap, so let's give it a go shall we?

    Worked like a charm.

    > I'll try the dash dash space return before my signature and see if works
    > ok. Just a thought though - do I need to set something up in OE itself,

    Shagnasty gave you a definitive answer on that one.

    > because up to now I've just copied and pasted my signature from a
    > notepad file from outside OE?

    Well, you learn something new every day, dontcha?

    > I saw a reference labelled 'signature' in
    > one of the menus in OE, but it was greyed out, so wasn't able to access
    > it. Anyway, I'll try this to see if it works. If it doesn't, we'll have
    > to think again.

    As I said, it worked. Now our next project is to get you to use a REAL
    newsreader :).

    Aardvark, Dec 29, 2008