Msconfig error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I run WinXP Pro with IE browser. I had a web browser hijack last weekend
    and have removed the problem.

    Two strange things occurred and I fixed one. The first was that when I
    clicked on "Start" --> "Help and Support" it would not work. I have fixed
    that using information found in a google search.

    The 2nd problem is my MSCONFIG file. When I click "Start" --> "Run" --> and
    type "msconfig" in the box and hit OK I get an error message:

    Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and
    then try again. To search for a file..."

    MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places. If click on "Start" -->
    "Run" --> and type in the fill path for MSCONFIG it runs OK. Is there a way
    that I can get WinXP to understand the full path so I can type in only
    msconfig (like it used to work)?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Mark

    Spider Guest

    Mark,
    Right click My Computer and go to properties. That should bring up the
    System Properties. On the Advanced tab you should see a button "Environment
    Variables". That will bring up a window and in the lower half of the window
    is System variables. Look in the left column for Path. You can edit that
    path and add the path to msconfig. The semi-colon is used to separate
    items. You may have to reboot for the change to take effect.

    --

    Spider

    http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/

    Spider, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Mark

    chuckie® Guest

    WOW, Spider lives!!! I just haven't 'seen' you around lately. Good to see
    you're still at it, enjoy your web site BTW...just my two cents...

    chuckie®, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Mark

    Spider Guest

    Thanks chuckie. Time still takes it's toll on me, but I manage to get by
    once in awhile.

    Spider, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Mark

    Wizard Guest

    Spider wrote:

    > Thanks chuckie. Time still takes it's toll on me, but I manage to
    > get by once in awhile.

    Real meaning: "It's a lie when they say 'age shall not weary them.'"

    Wizard, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Mark

    @ . Guest

    Mark wrote:
    [...]
    > MSCONFIG.EXE is on the PC in three places.

    and none of these include %systemroot%\system? this is a 'default'
    OS installation, and you were able to use MSCONFIG earlier?
    you don't explain the nature of the 'browser hijack', but your
    description leaves me thinking you may have one or more other problems.
    for starters, your environment variables should already have a path to
    'system', yet the file is not found. you -can- create a new environment
    variable for this, but that seems more like a patch than a solution.

    @ ., Mar 10, 2005