    next two days, and just wanted to hear if anyone has encountered any hiccups
    they would want to share.

    Rich
    Rich Weissler, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Rich Weissler

    Andy Foster Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:43:57 -0400, Rich Weissler wrote:

    > Greetings and good morning folks.
    > In case anyone hasn't seen the notices yet, the Windows operating systems
    > have another flaw that needs to be fixed. (Don't bother asking which
    > version of Windows -- it looks like all of them again.) We _probably_ have
    > a couple weeks before someone posts source code for the exploit (again), and
    > another worm or three makes their way thru the network.
    >
    > Q823980 seemed to have gone fairly painlessly last time thru. However, we
    > have patched a handful of systems this morning, and I've received notice of
    > one system which started behaving unusually -- the Novell GroupWare client
    > started crashing. (Latest version -- I'm not a GroupWare person, so I can't
    > say definatively which one -- but I know it had just been made current as of
    > three weeks ago.)
    >
    > Question: Has anyone else had any problems with the Q824146 patches?
    > I'll be doing NT 4.0 (Pro, Server, Enterprise Server, and Terminal Server),
    > 2000 (Pro, Server and Advanced Server), 2003 Server, and XP Pro over the
    > next two days, and just wanted to hear if anyone has encountered any hiccups
    > they would want to share.
    >
    > Rich

    Anyone know any good sites for patching vunerabilities in Linux ?

    Andy
    Andy Foster, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Rich Weissler

    Maria Guest

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/

    Maria, Sep 11, 2003
  4. "Maria" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/

    Last night as I got home about a half past ten
    There was the woman I thought I knew
    In the arms of another man
    I kept my cool, I ain't no fool
    Let me tell you what happened then
    I packed some clothes and I walked out
    And I ain't going back again

    So take a letter Maria, address it to my wife
    Say I won't be coming home, gonna start a new life
    So take a letter Maria, address it to my wife
    Send a copy to my lawyer, gotta start a new life

    You've been many things but most of all a good secretary to me
    And it's times like this I feel you've always been close to me
    Was I wrong to work nights to try to build a good life
    All work and no play has just cost me a wife

    When a man loves a woman it's hard to understand
    That she would find more pleasure in the arms of another man
    I never really noticed how sweet you are to me
    It just so happens I'm free tonight
    Would you like to have dinner with me

    --
    Fris "R.B. Greaves" beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Sep 11, 2003
  5. "Andy Foster" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:43:57 -0400, Rich Weissler wrote:

    [snip]

    > Anyone know any good sites for patching vunerabilities in Linux ?
    >
    > Andy

    If you're running redhat, thier up2date service is quite nice.

    http://rhn.redhat.com
    msnews.microsoft.com, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Rich Weissler

    licknlabia Guest

    We installed this patch during a shitstorm on Wed, because our CEO wants
    this trusted computing environment and some dumbfuck QA person, brought in
    their home laptop, and it brought down our entire internal network within 6
    mins.

    We had all machines patched with 823980 when it came out within a few days,
    so it didn't spread except to 3 test machines that had been freshly
    reformatted and not patched. Then we have a fuckin DBA load up XP Pro on a
    loaner laptop, via cd, but then plugged into the network to run windows
    update right in the middle of the storm. ****, what a bitch.

    So, it took us just under 6 hours to get it all cleaned up, because at first
    we thought our DS3 had been brought down, and then when I failed us over to
    our backup DSL line, we couldn't get out to the internet, but could ping
    from the backup firewall.

    So, we logged into the firewall, the sessions were maxxed the **** out, and
    our alpine switch all 8 blades, pegged orange.

    We fired up the network tools and seen that it was an arp cache storm, ****,
    running around tracking down machines, and forcing people to get the new
    patch because we didn't know if it was a new strain of MSBlaster, but it was
    in fact the d. variant w32.Welchia .

    So, now we have to go through the fucking process of making recommendations
    to the exec staff and pretty much telling them no foreign machines will be
    allowed anymore. This is a problem when you work in a game company and the
    CEO is big fucking kid that meddles with IT.

    We haven't had any problems with this patch, so I say go for it.

    - rg

    licknlabia, Sep 12, 2003
  7. Thank you. So far, so good. Nothing here has reported any problems.

    So far the only complaints I've heard have been:
    1. The _possible_ association between the patch and crashes with the
    Groupwise client.
    2. On another list someone mentioned the possible coincidental failure of
    the video driver on his computer and the patch. I'm not hearing anything
    else yet.

    Rich Weissler, Sep 12, 2003
  8. Rich Weissler

    jfigueredo Guest

    Hey you don't have to work in a game company to have a CEO that is a big
    f....g kid, been in a few of them myself.

    I hope you are feeling better.

    MCSA, A+

    ****,

    jfigueredo, Sep 12, 2003