    Windows ME.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 9, 2005

  2. geopelia wrote:
    > MS03-030

    Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).

    > and MS04-018

    "No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows
    98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition."

    Two minutes of Google.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 9, 2005

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > MS03-030

    > Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).
    >
    > > and MS04-018

    > "No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows
    > 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition."
    >
    > Two minutes of Google.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Thank you. I was hunting around on Google and Windows Update for ages last
    night!
    I found DirectX 9 but it seemed to be for some Media Player.

    When the warning came up on pc-cillin it seemed very dangerous. It's good to
    know there is nothing seriously wrong.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 9, 2005
  4. geopelia

    Sharktyymbfj Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> geopelia wrote:
    >> > MS03-030

    >> Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).
    >>
    >> > and MS04-018

    >> "No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows
    >> 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition."
    >>
    >> Two minutes of Google.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock

    > Thank you. I was hunting around on Google and Windows Update for ages last
    > night!
    > I found DirectX 9 but it seemed to be for some Media Player.
    >
    > When the warning came up on pc-cillin it seemed very dangerous. It's good
    > know there is nothing seriously wrong.

    While I think it's the best value firewall,etc you'll need to close ports
    445.

    Check it out at www.grc.com and run the 'shields up' test.

    --
    Sharktyymbfj

    Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.

    Sharktyymbfj, Dec 9, 2005
  5. geopelia

    steve Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > When the warning came up on pc-cillin it seemed very dangerous. It's good
    > to know there is nothing seriously wrong.
    >
    > Geopelia

    This is what annoys me about these programs. They try to scare you into
    doing the update - and in the process often misrepresent the threat
    completely to the user.

    It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this stuff as
    far as my own systems are concerned.

    I used to have on WinME PC and paid for the McAfee AV subs
    for it......until one day I downloaded the latest update and it rendered
    the entire system all but unbootable.

    That was exactly what I have been paying good money to AVOID.

    I had Linux on that box by the end of the day and it's still chugging away
    2 years later....and I let the McAfee sub fade into history.

    steve, Dec 9, 2005
  6. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:

    > It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
    > stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.

    Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
    months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
    Admittedly on a very small sample.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 9, 2005
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Sharktyymbfj" <> wrote in message

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).

    > >> "No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows
    > >> 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition."
    > >>
    > >> Two minutes of Google.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Nicholas Sherlock

    > > Thank you. I was hunting around on Google and Windows Update for ages

    last
    > > night!
    > > I found DirectX 9 but it seemed to be for some Media Player.
    > >
    > > When the warning came up on pc-cillin it seemed very dangerous. It's

    good
    > > know there is nothing seriously wrong.

    > While I think it's the best value firewall,etc you'll need to close ports
    > 445.
    >
    > Check it out at www.grc.com and run the 'shields up' test.
    >

    > --
    > Sharktyymbfj
    >
    > Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.

    Thank you, but I know very little about the technical side of computers,
    (they were not invented when I went to school), and
    unless it is a simple matter of clicking something I leave it to my computer
    man.

    I looked at the FAQ for DirectX and it seems to be for games and media. I
    use email and internet, there just isn't time to play games!

    Thanks for your help.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 9, 2005
  8. steve wrote:
    > This is what annoys me about these programs. They try to scare you into
    > doing the update - and in the process often misrepresent the threat
    > completely to the user.
    >
    > It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this stuff as
    > far as my own systems are concerned.

    You never update your Linux!? Security hole city.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 10, 2005
  9. geopelia

    steve Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> This is what annoys me about these programs. They try to scare you into
    >> doing the update - and in the process often misrepresent the threat
    >> completely to the user.
    >>
    >> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this stuff
    >> as far as my own systems are concerned.

    > You never update your Linux!? Security hole city.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Sure, it's updated.....when the update icon indicates there's an update
    waiting.

    As for "security hole city", I leave the hyperbole to you.

    steve, Dec 10, 2005
  10. geopelia

    steve Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >>
    >> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
    >> stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
    >>

    > Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
    > months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
    > Admittedly on a very small sample.

    I do.

    Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
    red exclamation mark when there is an update available.

    Click on the icon and begin the background updates.

    No problem.

    steve, Dec 10, 2005
  11. geopelia

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:05:32 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
    >>> stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
    >>>

    >> Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
    >> months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
    >> Admittedly on a very small sample.

    >I do.
    >
    >Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
    >red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
    >
    >Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
    >
    >No problem.

    My Xandros shat itself after doing the SP2 update.

    Invisible, Dec 10, 2005
  12. geopelia

    Sharktyymbfj Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Sharktyymbfj" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thank you. I was hunting around on Google and Windows Update for ages

    > last
    >> > night!
    >> > I found DirectX 9 but it seemed to be for some Media Player.
    >> >
    >> > When the warning came up on pc-cillin it seemed very dangerous. It's

    > good
    >> > know there is nothing seriously wrong.

    >> While I think it's the best value firewall,etc you'll need to close ports
    >> 445.
    >>
    >> Check it out at www.grc.com and run the 'shields up' test.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Sharktyymbfj
    >>
    >> Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.
    >>

    > Thank you, but I know very little about the technical side of computers,
    > (they were not invented when I went to school), and
    > unless it is a simple matter of clicking something I leave it to my
    > computer
    > man.
    >
    > I looked at the FAQ for DirectX and it seems to be for games and media. I
    > use email and internet, there just isn't time to play games!
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    No wuckers!

    Sharktyymbfj, Dec 10, 2005
  13. geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Dec 10, 2005
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en

    > Available on most magazines free CD roms if downloading it too much of a
    > hassle.
    > --

    Thank you. I had a look at the Microsoft page, but it would take over 3
    hours and looks very complicated, I'll see what the computer man thinks next
    time he calls. If it isn't doing any harm as it is I'll leave it for now. I
    don't play games, and with the red gone in the Monitor I don't even use
    paint now. Can't draw much with the mouse anyway!

    I've saved the website in Favourites for now.
    Thank you for sending it.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 10, 2005
  15. geopelia

    steve Guest

    Invisible wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:05:32 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
    >>> months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
    >>> Admittedly on a very small sample.

    >>I do.
    >>
    >>Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
    >>red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
    >>
    >>Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
    >>
    >>No problem.

    > My Xandros shat itself after doing the SP2 update.

    I've yet to see that on any systems here, though I did see discussion in the
    forums about it just after the SP came out.

    I tend not to install tar balls for any system stuff.....so my systems are
    pretty clean from a Xandros-supported upgrade point of view.

    I'll install apps from tar balls....but only where they are obviously
    stand-alone and don't require system changes.

    steve, Dec 10, 2005
  16. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >

    >>steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
    >>>stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
    >>>

    >>Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
    >>months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
    >>Admittedly on a very small sample.

    > I do.
    >
    > Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
    > red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
    >
    > Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
    >
    > No problem.

    That's basically what Winders does. What's the difference?

    Incidentally, I *always* check what the updates contain. So that if a
    problem arises in that area, then I know where to look. Do NOT trust the
    background updates! I've saved myself a couple of times by doing that.
    Once was an update to Postgres and another was a change to initscripts.
    I can't remember any others, but I'm sure there were some. Oh yeah,
    Breezy hosed my XWindows, because of a change I'd made and an update
    that reverted things, probably because I'd changed the wrong thing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 10, 2005
  17. geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    > Enkidu scribbled:

    >> steve wrote:

    >> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of
    >> this stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.

    > Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2
    > - 3 months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per
    > month. Admittedly on a very small sample.

    >> I do.

    >> Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green
    >> tick to a red exclamation mark when there is an update available.

    >> Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
    >> No problem.

    > That's basically what Winders does. What's the difference?

    C'mon Cliff you should know by now that it IS ok when Linux works like that
    but is NOT ok when windows does. That's if you're a Linux advocate
    anyway....

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Dec 10, 2005
  18. geopelia

    steve Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > steve wrote:

    >>>Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
    >>>months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
    >>>Admittedly on a very small sample.

    >> I do.
    >>
    >> Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
    >> red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
    >>
    >> Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
    >>
    >> No problem.
    >>

    > That's basically what Winders does. What's the difference?

    We were talking about anti-virus....not Windows.

    steve, Dec 10, 2005