    I'm sure this is common, but I have no idea what to do. I'm using
    a laptop and when I load MS Word on it, it takes 3 minutes to
    open. How can I speed this up? I'm using an Intel Celeron M.

    Ben Markson, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Ben Markson

    bmoag Guest

    Presumably this is a change from prior behavior?
    Also thou sayest not what version of Microsoft's resource hog-butt thee be
    using.
    The later the version the worseth the problems.
    Can be nearly unresolvable conflicts with certain laptop drivers. Especially
    video.
    Use ye a Dell?
    Word uses many, many "resources": ye heaps and ye stacks. Word eateth RAM
    regardless of what Microsoft sayeth (they lieth: can you believeth it? Next
    they'll be saying Georgie Bush lieths!). Even when ye shutteth Word down it
    may not release ye resources or ye RAM. This be true for Word for Windows
    3.x and ye Word 2003. Ye Microsoft ladles in ye "new" features but
    correcteth not ye bad behavior of Word.
    Mostly Microsoft just changes ye icons and ye interfaces between Word
    versions. Not ye nuts and ye bolts.

    Ye other programs which eateth ye resurces, however, generally be crud:
    spyware, unnecessary garbage that loads at startup, etc blah blah blah.
    Word requires substantial RAM: it be ugly in less than 512mbs, whether on ye
    laptop or on ye wunderputer. Ye processor is rarely ye problem with Word: it
    be ye other stuff.
    All is not lost.
    Check what background programs be runnin.
    Kill the infidels ye need not. Wipe em off the face of yer puter.
    Uninstall Word.
    Reboot.
    Reinstall Word.
    Get more RAM if ye have not enough.
    Voila.
    Learn to use WordPefect?

    bmoag, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Ben Markson

    Brian Guest

    Try doing a search for normal.dot (this is the default word template)
    sometimes it gets corrupted and causes word to open slowly or not at all.
    delete all instances of this file (thats normal dot dot). Word will recreate
    the file next time it is opened. If you dont feel safe deleting files
    (especially on recommendation from a newsgroup) then change the name in the
    default word folder. It should have the same effect, then you can delete
    after the new one is created.

    Brian, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Ben Markson

    Ben Markson Guest

    Thanks for all the info.

    One thing I forgot to add... it "loads" slowly, not runs. I'll
    try to find that normal.dat or normal.dot file. Word runs fine,
    it just takes 3 minutes to load (splash screen to go away).

    Ben Markson, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Ben Markson

    Ben Markson Guest

    Thank you, I finally fixed this.

    I uninstalled that bloated Norton AntiVirus, but not all the
    traces were gone. It was giving me some real headaches, but now
    Word runs much faster. Typical of a new laptop I guess.

    Ben Markson, Jan 29, 2006