MS Wireless Mouse - lag??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, May 11, 2005.

  1. news.xtra.co.nz, May 11, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    JedMeister Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:b7bge.48$...
    > Anyone used one of these:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117866
    >
    > Read a few reviews and 2 of the review said there is a 1-1.5 sec lag after
    > about 10secs of idle (coming out of energy saving).
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this?
    >
    > thanks

    I don't really notice any lag. The one annoyance i have is with my brand
    new MS wireless keyboard, the keys seem to stick sometimes, or, I press the
    key with normal force and it is not picked up.

    JedMeister, May 11, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    PAM. Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message

    > I don't really notice any lag. The one annoyance i have is with my brand
    > new MS wireless keyboard, the keys seem to stick sometimes, or, I press

    the
    > key with normal force and it is not picked up.

    My optical mouse (only at work) flicks about all over the screen for a
    second or so about 20 times a day. My optical mouse at home doesn't.

    Strange that. I put up with it because noone knows why. I use MS at work and
    Linux at home.

    PAM.

    PAM., May 11, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    rrreese Guest

    I experienced this with one of their optical wireless mice, but the one
    I'm using now is fine. It was really annoying you'd have to give it a
    flick to get it going again. But the Microsoft optical-wireless I'm
    using now is fine. Can't connect to ascent.co.nz at the moment so I
    can't comment as to weather it is the one I used.

    rrreese, May 11, 2005
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    coly Guest

    "rrreese" <> wrote in message
    > I experienced this with one of their optical wireless mice, but the one
    > I'm using now is fine. It was really annoying you'd have to give it a
    > flick to get it going again. But the Microsoft optical-wireless I'm
    > using now is fine. Can't connect to ascent.co.nz at the moment so I
    > can't comment as to weather it is the one I used.

    Would appreciate it if you can confirm this when you can connect to
    ascent.co.nz - thanks.

    coly, May 11, 2005
  6. "PAM." <> wrote in message
    > "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I don't really notice any lag. The one annoyance i have is with my brand
    >> new MS wireless keyboard, the keys seem to stick sometimes, or, I press

    > the
    >> key with normal force and it is not picked up.

    > My optical mouse (only at work) flicks about all over the screen for a
    > second or so about 20 times a day. My optical mouse at home doesn't.
    >
    > Strange that. I put up with it because noone knows why. I use MS at work
    > and
    > Linux at home.
    >
    > PAM.

    If it's a wireless mouse have a look around for a colleague nearby who's
    using the same device. It's happened to me a few times in the office and a
    quick re-synching of the mouse and base station frequencies (i.e. changing
    to one the colleague's mouse isn't using) normally fixes it.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, May 11, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    PAM. Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > If it's a wireless mouse have a look around for a colleague nearby who's
    > using the same device. It's happened to me a few times in the office and a
    > quick re-synching of the mouse and base station frequencies (i.e. changing
    > to one the colleague's mouse isn't using) normally fixes it.

    A wired mouse.
    I thought it could be the surface of the desk but I have tried various
    different surfaced mouse mats and all give the same result.
    Not a biggie.

    PAM.

    PAM., May 11, 2005

    Brett Roberts, May 11, 2005
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    BSOD Guest

    coly wrote:

    > "rrreese" <> wrote in message
    > > I experienced this with one of their optical wireless mice, but the one
    > > I'm using now is fine. It was really annoying you'd have to give it a
    > > flick to get it going again. But the Microsoft optical-wireless I'm
    > > using now is fine. Can't connect to ascent.co.nz at the moment so I
    > > can't comment as to weather it is the one I used.
    > >

    > Would appreciate it if you can confirm this when you can connect to
    > ascent.co.nz - thanks.

    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=ID00022

    no problems using that one

    BSOD, May 11, 2005
  10. PAM. wrote:
    > A wired mouse.
    > I thought it could be the surface of the desk but I have tried various
    > different surfaced mouse mats and all give the same result.
    > Not a biggie.

    try a sheet of white paper, sellotaped down each side.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 11, 2005
  11. "PAM." <> wrote in message
    > "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> If it's a wireless mouse have a look around for a colleague nearby who's
    >> using the same device. It's happened to me a few times in the office and
    >> quick re-synching of the mouse and base station frequencies (i.e.
    >> changing
    >> to one the colleague's mouse isn't using) normally fixes it.

    > A wired mouse.
    > I thought it could be the surface of the desk but I have tried various
    > different surfaced mouse mats and all give the same result.
    > Not a biggie.
    >
    > PAM.

    Please ignore that last post, I was suffering from Itchy Send Finger
    Syndrome :)

    Depending on the model, Microsoft mice come with warranties ranging from 2
    to 5 years. If it's still under warranty then please take it back to where
    you purchased it from and they can organise with our NZ hardware distributor
    (Ingram Micro) for a replacement to be provided.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, May 11, 2005
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rob Guest

    I have one, and it's ok. They are quite heavy, and the range and accruacy
    don't make it suitable for graphics work. Logitec have a laser one that is
    supposed to be pretty good.

    Rob, May 11, 2005
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    PAM. Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > Depending on the model, Microsoft mice come with warranties ranging from 2
    > to 5 years. If it's still under warranty then please take it back to where
    > you purchased it from and they can organise with our NZ hardware

    distributor
    > (Ingram Micro) for a replacement to be provided.

    I expect the company I work for would just bin it and give me another one
    But I hadn't thought that it could be the mouse that's buggered

    PAM.

    PAM., May 11, 2005
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    coly Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > I have one, and it's ok. They are quite heavy, and the range and accruacy
    > don't make it suitable for graphics work. Logitec have a laser one that

    is
    > supposed to be pretty good.

    yeah the only reason I'm leaning towards the ms mouse is because the logitec
    requires recharging after a few days (from what I read) and it can't take AA
    batteries either and I'll be stuck when that happens :)

    coly, May 11, 2005
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    CSE Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:02:24 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone used one of these:
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117866
    >
    >Read a few reviews and 2 of the review said there is a 1-1.5 sec lag after
    >about 10secs of idle (coming out of energy saving).
    >
    >Can anyone confirm this?
    >
    >thanks

    Well all the review state this..

    Its to save on the Battery..

    Go for the Logitech one..

    CSE, May 11, 2005
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Ron McNulty Guest

    I've been using a MS wireless mouse and keyboard daily for about 5 months.
    There may be a very slight lag on power-up, but as it takes several minutes
    to power down, the power up action is usually to sweep across the screen to
    a new application - it has never been a noticable problem

    I like not having a cord attached. I find when I go back to a corded mouse,
    it feels really restrictive.

    The original 2xAA alkalines lasted about 3 months. I replaced them with NiMh
    batteries, and these seem to last a bit less, but not a problem.

    The only annoyance is the keyboard - non-standard layout in the pageUp/Down
    block, and it won't start up in FLock mode.

    I would have purchased the Bluetooth version, but it was just too expensive.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 11, 2005
  17. news.xtra.co.nz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "CSE" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:02:24 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone used one of these:
    >>http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117866
    >>
    >>Read a few reviews and 2 of the review said there is a 1-1.5 sec lag after
    >>about 10secs of idle (coming out of energy saving).
    >>
    >>Can anyone confirm this?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    > Well all the review state this..
    >
    > Its to save on the Battery..
    >
    > Go for the Logitech one..

    What about one with thermal nuclear 10,000 year power cell?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 11, 2005
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <ascge.70$> in nz.comp on Wed, 11 May
    2005 12:36:18 +1200, PAM. <> says...
    > "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I don't really notice any lag. The one annoyance i have is with my brand
    > > new MS wireless keyboard, the keys seem to stick sometimes, or, I press

    > the
    > > key with normal force and it is not picked up.

    > My optical mouse (only at work) flicks about all over the screen for a
    > second or so about 20 times a day. My optical mouse at home doesn't.
    >
    > Strange that. I put up with it because noone knows why. I use MS at work and
    > Linux at home.

    Probably your PC at work.

    I found my PC at home would do that, but the same mouse used at work was
    fine.

    Rob J, May 11, 2005
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <Nbhge.198$> in nz.comp on Wed, 11 May
    2005 17:54:19 +1200, Ron McNulty <> says...
    > I've been using a MS wireless mouse and keyboard daily for about 5 months.
    > There may be a very slight lag on power-up, but as it takes several minutes
    > to power down, the power up action is usually to sweep across the screen to
    > a new application - it has never been a noticable problem
    >
    > I like not having a cord attached. I find when I go back to a corded mouse,
    > it feels really restrictive.
    >
    > The original 2xAA alkalines lasted about 3 months. I replaced them with NiMh
    > batteries, and these seem to last a bit less, but not a problem.
    >
    > The only annoyance is the keyboard - non-standard layout in the pageUp/Down
    > block, and it won't start up in FLock mode.

    Sounds like the new basic MS keyboard. An absolute pain to use because
    they for some stupid reason changed the layout in that block from 3 wide
    and 2 down to 2 wide and 3 down.

    Another thing I've noticed lately is that even with the Numlock turned on
    in the Bios, XP turns it off.

    Rob J, May 11, 2005
  20. Ron McNulty wrote:
    > The only annoyance is the keyboard - non-standard layout in the pageUp/Down
    > block, and it won't start up in FLock mode.

    f-lock is easily fixed... assuming you're using windows.
    http://www.mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 11, 2005