    about firewalls etc. Can the experience users also provide me any additional
    advice that would be useful? Thanks.

    Ian St. John
    Ian St. John, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Ian St. John

    Malke Guest

    Ian St. John wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new D-Link Airbus DWL-G630 installed on my Dell Inspiron 5100
    > running under MS WinXP. So far, I've been able to pick up two keys and
    > to connect to the Internet at my university and at the airport. I'm
    > also required to work with Linux and so I'll need to pick up some
    > generic software for the wireless network adapter. Can anyone tell me
    > if Windows wireless networking offers any features (other than
    > possibly ease of use) over Linux wireless or if generic Linux wireless
    > has any desirable features? The wireless network keys that I've picked
    > up so far seem to provide security from eavesdropping over the
    > airwaves, but at a university it cannot be assumed that any
    > communications or file is safe from eavesdropping so one acts
    > accordingly. Linux is a less hostile environment and I don't worry
    > about firewalls etc. Can the experience users also provide me any
    > additional advice that would be useful? Thanks.
    >
    > Ian St. John

    You really are going to have to post in a Linux group to get information
    about Linux wireless networking. Some of the ease of use will depend on
    what window manager you are using and what version of that window
    manager is. KDE has kwifimanager and it is pretty good. However,
    configuration also depends on the distro you are running.

    You need to know what chipset is in that D-Link. Since you didn't say
    what distro you have, I can't be more precise. Post in one of the
    public newsgroups for that particular distro or Google for the distro
    name and your wireless network adapter. For example, using the search
    term, "SuSE 9.3 + D-Link DWL-G630" brings up *lots* of useful advice.
    In fact, you might just check out that search term because it brings up
    links that will get you headed in the right direction whether or not
    you are running SuSE 9.3.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers