    Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall acknowledged that the blame does not
    really lie with customers.

    "Ultimately, it's a flaw in our software," he said.

    Henry Sidgwick, Aug 15, 2003

  2. "Henry Sidgwick" <> wrote in message
    news:rXU_a.11566$...

    > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60019,00.html

    > Security experts say patches often stay on "to do" lists until outbreaks
    > occur.
    >
    > "You're looking at 70 new vulnerabilities every week," said Sharon

    Ruckman,
    > senior director at the research lab for antivirus vendor Symantec. "It's
    > more than a full-time job trying to make sure you are up-to-date."
    >
    > Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall acknowledged that the blame does not
    > really lie with customers.
    >
    > "Ultimately, it's a flaw in our software," he said.

    the "70 new vulnerabilities every week" is an interesting stat. I had a
    quick check of www.cert.org and they had a total of 138 listed for all of
    2003 across all software vendors products and open source projects. That's
    more like 4 per week. FWIW, 21 of the 138 were Microsoft vulnerabilities.
    Maybe she's including all new viruses variants etc

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Henry Sidgwick

    Jacob Boehme Guest

    Brett Roberts allegedly said:

    > the "70 new vulnerabilities every week" is an interesting stat. I had a
    > quick check of www.cert.org and they had a total of 138 listed for all of
    > 2003 across all software vendors products and open source projects. That's
    > more like 4 per week. FWIW, 21 of the 138 were Microsoft vulnerabilities.
    > Maybe she's including all new viruses variants etc
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    It sounded like a big number......That would be 3,640 vulnerabilies / annum.

    Perhaps she was also including application software (ActiveX, MS Office
    apps, Outlook).
    Jacob Boehme, Aug 15, 2003