MS Win2K3 spec recommendation

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Adam Apples, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Adam Apples

    Adam Apples Guest

    Greeting

    We are a small business with 2 Winnt4.0 Servers PBC & BDC with the below
    hadwares spec.'s. Going with Microsoft recomended spec. it look like we are
    at the mimium spec for Win2K3 install. We would like to upgrade to MS Win2K3
    Servers with A.D and Global Cat. and MS Exchane 2K3 for our 100 Clients
    workstations. Has anyone have a similar hardware spec's as us and did the
    upgrade any way? How did it perform if you did? Or should we just wait to
    purchase a new Server with at least a 2.0 Ghz xeon (single) cpu, 1.0 GB ecc
    Ram, 40 Gb scsi 15k rpm hdd etc; money is tight right now for us, and would
    like your recommendation.

    First Server spec's.

    Dual P3 550 Mhz (would like to upgrade/install Win2K3 Global Cat. srv, DNS,
    and DHCP)
    512 ECC RAM
    4 Scsi IBM's Hdd 18G.B (RAID 5)

    Second Server spec's.

    Dual P3 550 Mhz
    1.0 Gb ECC RAM
    4 Scsi IBM's Hdd 18G.B (RAID 5) has Exchange 5.5 installed (Would like to
    upgrade to Exchange 2k3 with this spec's)

    Any recommendation is greatly appericated! Thank you in advance.

    Adam
    Adam Apples, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Adam Apples

    Guest

    The first recomandation is to ask this question in a more approiate
    newsgroup, prehaps comp.sys.microsoft.networking or somthing similar.

    Second, If you are asking this question here, I strongly reccomend that
    you consider hiring a 3rd party networking company, at leaste for a
    consult, presumably for the install also.

    Third. You can do your install on that hardware. But it will be SLOW.
    Very SLOW!. I have a 2K3 domain in my house on a p3-650 and 512 ECC
    ram. Mind you this is my house. 4 users, no major load. It crawls.
    Average CPU load is about 12%. And that is sitting idle.

    My company just did the basic upgrade for another company, much the
    same similar specs that you described. Just so you know, the softwatre
    alone is going to cost over 10 grand. Not 1 grand, 10 grand.

    2 Windows Server 2003 @ $999
    3 20 pack CAL @ $799
    Exchange Server Standered $699
    60 Exchange User cals @ $67
    TCO = $9,114

    So no, my answer is dont even try it. Get hardware that can support
    what you are trying to do.

    Long answer.

    Do it over the course of a few months. Do a fresh install of 2k3
    Server, dont do a upgrade. Then add all the new users. Get all your
    users conected to the new domain, and get it working smoothly.

    Then do a clean install of 2k3 and Exchange 2k3. DONT MIGRATE. Use
    EXmerge to transfer the mailboxes. Get everything working smoothly.
    Then add it to you ne domain.
    , Dec 31, 2004

  3. Adam Apples

    Adam Apples Guest

    Thank you for taking your time responding!

    Adam Apples, Jan 3, 2005