MS Win XP Wallpaper Changer Power Toy config question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Hi, All!

    I really like Microsoft's Wallpaper Changer Power Toy
    for Windows XP, except for an annoyance I can't find a
    fix for. Maybe somebody can help?

    My Windows screen resolution is set to 1280 x 960. Some
    of the pictures in my wallpaper folder are 1280 x 960,
    quite a number are 1024 x 748, and some are 800 x 600.

    But, Wallpaper Changer uses the "stretch" feature and
    makes all these images full-screen, which makes the
    smaller ones look very poor - pixelated, etc. as you'd
    expect.

    When I go to Settings>Control Panel>Display>Desktop,
    Wallpaper Changer shows up in my wallpaper list as
    "toyhide", with the Position pull-down list set to
    "Stretch". Even if I change this to "Center" and click
    on Apply, it does not work. My automatically changing
    wallpaper is /still/ "stretched".

    I looked in Configure Wallpaper by right-clicking on its
    icon in my sys tray, but failed to see anything at all
    about how images are displayed.

    Am I missing something obvious here? Can I change it? If
    I can't change it, is there a better (free) similar app?

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jun 10, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, All!
    >
    > I really like Microsoft's Wallpaper Changer Power Toy
    > for Windows XP, except for an annoyance I can't find a
    > fix for. Maybe somebody can help?
    >
    > My Windows screen resolution is set to 1280 x 960. Some
    > of the pictures in my wallpaper folder are 1280 x 960,
    > quite a number are 1024 x 748, and some are 800 x 600.
    >
    > But, Wallpaper Changer uses the "stretch" feature and
    > makes all these images full-screen, which makes the
    > smaller ones look very poor - pixelated, etc. as you'd
    > expect.
    >
    > When I go to Settings>Control Panel>Display>Desktop,
    > Wallpaper Changer shows up in my wallpaper list as
    > "toyhide", with the Position pull-down list set to
    > "Stretch". Even if I change this to "Center" and click
    > on Apply, it does not work. My automatically changing
    > wallpaper is /still/ "stretched".
    >
    > I looked in Configure Wallpaper by right-clicking on its
    > icon in my sys tray, but failed to see anything at all
    > about how images are displayed.
    >
    > Am I missing something obvious here? Can I change it? If
    > I can't change it, is there a better (free) similar app?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help.

    Use Webshots. Does pictures as a screen saver, and wallpaper changer too.
    Doesn't have the stretching problem.
    www.webshots.com
    Toolman Tim, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Toolman Tim commented courteously...

    > Use Webshots. Does pictures as a screen saver, and
    > wallpaper changer too. Doesn't have the stretching
    > problem.

    > www.webshots.com

    Thanks, but where are the screen saver and wallpaper
    changer? All I saw, besides pop-ups and ads, were links
    to pictures.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jun 10, 2005
  4. All Things Mopar

    > Toolman Tim commented courteously...
    >
    >> Use Webshots. Does pictures as a screen saver, and
    >> wallpaper changer too. Doesn't have the stretching
    >> problem.

    >> www.webshots.com

    > Thanks, but where are the screen saver and wallpaper
    > changer? All I saw, besides pop-ups and ads, were links
    > to pictures.

    Sure thing...the link below takes you to the download page...
    http://www.webshots.com/samplers/

    The sampler comes with several pictures. You can also import your own, and
    download up to 5 a day from their site (free - or unlimited if you want to
    pay their "premium" package price). Best of all, it's totally spyware/adware
    free. And if you got popups, that's your fault for not having a popup
    blocker installed <grin>!
    Toolman Tim, Jun 10, 2005
  5. All Things Mopar

    nimd4

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    Messages:
    20
    Location:
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Wallpaper Changer, Wallpapertoy.Exe version 2000.0.0.6 says:

    .... While in reality all it does is Center the images. Obviously there are other, better, programs (after all, it's Micro$oft we're talking about), but how can this Powertoy be configured to work as declared?!?? Anyone, pls? xd
    nimd4, Feb 3, 2010