    Interesting development. This could be a problem for VMware but should
    be and opportunity for some to play with VMs and explore possibilities.

    Winged

    Winged, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Winged wrote:

    > Interesting development. This could be a problem for VMware but should be
    > and opportunity for some to play with VMs and explore possibilities.

    Not really all that surprising. VMWare went free with it's "player"
    version a while back, and there's Xen. It's a technology that's growing in
    popularity as hardware that can competently handle VM's gets priced at
    consumer levels. No surprise at all that MS would try and eek out its own
    market share.

    Probably won't be any real surprise that the MS version will have the same
    "growing pains" other copycat MS technologies have either. ;-)

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Winged

    Winged Guest

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    > Winged wrote:
    >

    >>Interesting development. This could be a problem for VMware but should be
    >>and opportunity for some to play with VMs and explore possibilities.

    > Not really all that surprising. VMWare went free with it's "player"
    > version a while back, and there's Xen. It's a technology that's growing in
    > popularity as hardware that can competently handle VM's gets priced at
    > consumer levels. No surprise at all that MS would try and eek out its own
    > market share.
    >
    > Probably won't be any real surprise that the MS version will have the same
    > "growing pains" other copycat MS technologies have either. ;-)

    Actually I have used the MS product. It's overhead per session is
    somewhat higher than VMWare. That said in some things function better
    (interface control to local machine) in (obviously) the winX environment.

    The downside there is no MS VM for the native Linux environs. A useful
    function of VMware is its ability to natively run a vm in Linux created
    for one reason or another in a WinX environment.

    But I would grab a copy while the grabbing is good for those who haven't
    forked out cash for the full VMware client and want to play with VM
    sessions.

    On can use the trial VMware full client to create sessions but I believe
    it times out in 30 days.

    I do believe in raw power, VMware is awful hard to beat it you require
    extensive processing where multiple VMs must be able to communicate
    together in network simulations, but the MS product is stable and competent.

    I could see a real business case for MS to incorporate VMs into an
    upcoming OS, it would not surprise me at all. The method could
    facilitate user management, enhance security and reduce network
    maintenance costs far superior to the current MS networking
    methodologies. I can envision how the merger of a VM into OS could
    dramatically enhance data control and enhance flexibility. That might
    even encourage me to support an upgrade. Did I say that...shudder.

    Winged

    Winged, Apr 6, 2006