MS Virtual PC now free

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bambam, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. bambam

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Jul 17, 2006

  2. bambam

    David Empson Guest

    bambam <> wrote:

    > I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is now free-
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

    Just a minor footnote, in case anyone else jumps to the wrong
    conclusion: it is just the Windows-hosted version of Virtual PC which is
    free.

    The Mac-hosted version (PowerPC emulating an x86) is still full price.
    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jul 17, 2006

  3. bambam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is now
    > free-
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    >
    > About 18MB download.
    >
    > What is MS Virtual PC-
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC
    >
    > What OS will run with this program-
    >
    > http://vpc.visualwin.com/

    Interesting, thanks.

    I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running XP. I
    have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the chances are of
    running that on Virtual PC and then the games?

    Or do I have this all wrong?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 17, 2006
  4. bambam

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running XP. I
    > have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the chances are of
    > running that on Virtual PC and then the games?
    >
    > Or do I have this all wrong?

    It's well possible. I use it for testing software under Win8 on my XP
    box and it does the job.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jul 17, 2006
  5. bambam

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Jul 17, 2006
  6. bambam

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:12:36 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:33:49 +0000 (UTC), bambam
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is now free-
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    >>
    >>About 18MB download.
    >>
    >>What is MS Virtual PC-
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC
    >>
    >>What OS will run with this program-
    >>
    >>http://vpc.visualwin.com/

    > Is there a version that will run on 98SE? I might be able to get an
    > old DOS game going, going by the hardware it emulates.

    Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Nor will ME by the end of
    this month.

    Steve, Jul 17, 2006
  7. bambam

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:04:26 +1200, David Empson wrote:

    > bambam <> wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is now free-
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

    > Just a minor footnote, in case anyone else jumps to the wrong
    > conclusion: it is just the Windows-hosted version of Virtual PC which is
    > free.
    >
    > The Mac-hosted version (PowerPC emulating an x86) is still full price.

    Another minor footnote. The reason this is free is in response to vmware
    server being made free. That runs on linux and windows. Not mac, tho'

    Steve, Jul 17, 2006
  8. bambam

    Jerry Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:12:36 +1200, GraB wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:33:49 +0000 (UTC), bambam
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is now free-
    >>>
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    >>>
    >>>About 18MB download.
    >>>
    >>>What is MS Virtual PC-
    >>>
    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC
    >>>
    >>>What OS will run with this program-
    >>>
    >>>http://vpc.visualwin.com/

    >>Is there a version that will run on 98SE? I might be able to get an
    >>old DOS game going, going by the hardware it emulates.

    > Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Nor will ME by the end of
    > this month.

    Why would you need support from Microsoft to run Windows98? I never
    used Microsoft support for it when it was new even.

    Jerry, Jul 17, 2006
  9. bambam

    sharktbbtfy Guest

    sharktbbtfy, Jul 17, 2006
  10. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > bambam wrote:
    > > I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is now
    > > free-
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    > >
    > > About 18MB download.
    > >
    > > What is MS Virtual PC-
    > >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC
    > >
    > > What OS will run with this program-
    > >
    > > http://vpc.visualwin.com/

    > Interesting, thanks.
    >
    > I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running XP. I
    > have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the chances are of
    > running that on Virtual PC and then the games?

    a good chance especially given how x86 virtualisation compatible VPC is

    the Virtual PC blog http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/ has a feed of
    games he has tried in VPC
    https://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/category/8225.aspx

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 17, 2006
  11. bambam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > bambam wrote:
    > > > I haven't seen this news posted in this group, MS Virtual PC is
    > > > now free-
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    > > >
    > > > About 18MB download.
    > > >
    > > > What is MS Virtual PC-
    > > >
    > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC
    > > >
    > > > What OS will run with this program-
    > > >
    > > > http://vpc.visualwin.com/

    > > Interesting, thanks.
    > >
    > > I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running
    > > XP. I have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the
    > > chances are of running that on Virtual PC and then the games?

    > a good chance especially given how x86 virtualisation compatible VPC
    > is
    >
    > the Virtual PC blog http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/ has a feed
    > of games he has tried in VPC
    > https://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/category/8225.aspx
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Thaks Nathan, will check it out later.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2006
  12. bambam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    > > I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running
    > > XP. I have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the
    > > chances are of running that on Virtual PC and then the games?
    > >
    > > Or do I have this all wrong?

    > It's well possible. I use it for testing software under Win8 on my XP
    > box and it does the job.

    Cheers, thanks, I'll download it later. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2006
  13. bambam

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running
    >>> XP. I have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the
    >>> chances are of running that on Virtual PC and then the games?
    >>>
    >>> Or do I have this all wrong?

    >> It's well possible. I use it for testing software under Win8 on my
    >> XP box and it does the job.

    > Cheers, thanks, I'll download it later. :)

    Also make sure you check out the free VMWare player, there are free third
    party tools for creating the virtual machines. I've seen comparison charts
    that claim the performance of Virtual PC and VMWare are the same but I've
    never managed to get Virtual PC running anywhere near as well as VMWare
    *out* *of* *the* *box*. Possible that there are some tweaks required to get
    best performance out of it but I can't be bothered :p

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 18, 2006
  14. bambam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    > > Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Nor will ME by the
    > > end of this month.
    > >

    > Why would you need support from Microsoft to run Windows98? I never
    > used Microsoft support for it when it was new even.

    LOL, good point, same here. However, by "support" I think that fixing of any
    vulnerabilities that may be discovered in the future (patches) is being
    refered to.

    There are bound to be other people who will take over the task though. (Like
    Steve Gibson did with his 'XPdite' patch for XP a while back when MS were
    tardy in fixing a vulnerability). Anyway, why would hackers/malware writers
    bother with an OS that has such a low %age of the market?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2006
  15. bambam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > EMB wrote:

    > > > It's well possible. I use it for testing software under Win8 on
    > > > my XP box and it does the job.

    > > Cheers, thanks, I'll download it later. :)

    > Also make sure you check out the free VMWare player, there are free
    > third party tools for creating the virtual machines. I've seen
    > comparison charts that claim the performance of Virtual PC and VMWare
    > are the same but I've never managed to get Virtual PC running
    > anywhere near as well as VMWare *out* *of* *the* *box*. Possible
    > that there are some tweaks required to get best performance out of it
    > but I can't be bothered :p

    Cool, thanks. It's just something I thought I might play with. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2006
  16. bambam

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 06:36:42 +1200, Jerry <>
    wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:12:36 +1200, GraB wrote:

    >>>Is there a version that will run on 98SE? I might be able to get an
    >>>old DOS game going, going by the hardware it emulates.

    >> Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Nor will ME by the end of
    >> this month.
    >>

    >Why would you need support from Microsoft to run Windows98? I never
    >used Microsoft support for it when it was new even.

    Same here.

    GraB, Jul 18, 2006
  17. T'was the Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:33:39 +1200 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >LOL, good point, same here. However, by "support" I think that fixing of any
    >vulnerabilities that may be discovered in the future (patches) is being
    >refered to.

    If you're running it virtually, don't give it network access. Or give
    it network access and set your virtual machines to not save any
    changes to the disk. It's always fun to play with viruses in
    sandboxes.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jul 18, 2006
  18. bambam

    bambam Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:32:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Interesting, thanks.
    >
    > I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running XP. I
    > have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the chances are of
    > running that on Virtual PC and then the games?
    >
    > Or do I have this all wrong?

    Just as well Nathan answered your question.
    I am like you, a virtual pc virgin. ;)
    But not for long, as I find the whole subject very interesting.

    bambam, Jul 18, 2006
  19. bambam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:32:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    > > Interesting, thanks.
    > >
    > > I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running
    > > XP. I have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the
    > > chances are of running that on Virtual PC and then the games?
    > >
    > > Or do I have this all wrong?

    > Just as well Nathan answered your question.
    > I am like you, a virtual pc virgin. ;)
    > But not for long, as I find the whole subject very interesting.

    Yes, I'm indebted to him. I think it'll be my next plaything, Virtual PC.
    Shame the hardware graphics engibe specs are so low though, sorta limits the
    later games (that only run on 98) that I can play to pretty dismal
    resolutions.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 18, 2006
  20. bambam

    bAZZ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > bambam wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:32:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>> Interesting, thanks.
    >>>
    >>> I have a couple old games that will only run on 9x but I'm running
    >>> XP. I have a licence (or three) for 98SE, what do you think the
    >>> chances are of running that on Virtual PC and then the games?
    >>>
    >>> Or do I have this all wrong?

    >> Just as well Nathan answered your question.
    >> I am like you, a virtual pc virgin. ;)
    >> But not for long, as I find the whole subject very interesting.

    > Yes, I'm indebted to him. I think it'll be my next plaything, Virtual PC.
    > Shame the hardware graphics engibe specs are so low though, sorta limits the
    > later games (that only run on 98) that I can play to pretty dismal
    > resolutions.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I had it running OK about month ago. XP, duron850, gforece 4mmx, 256ram.
    Run sweet. Linux,98se and old games OK but couple old dos games crashed
    it. XP stayed running and just shut down VPC. Real good.Tried thr other
    free one too and found microsoft one better for my needs. YMMV.

    See Ya

    bAZZ .. >>
    If you try me, you'll buy me
    If you buy me, you'll use me