MS: Use Linux and be sued.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Nov 18, 2004

  2. GraB

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Nov 18, 2004

  3. GraB

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar, Nov 18, 2004
  4. GraB

    Edmund Good Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:23:28 +1300, Peter wrote:

    >At least they got this bit right ...
    >"Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, has the most to lose should
    >Linux use spread."

    I think MS has a great deal to lose, have a look at the following link which
    refers to an article in the Harvard Business Review called "IT Doesn't
    Matter" (the basic idea is that IT is a cost to be managed, just like all
    other costs, and not a solution to all problems as has been promoted by MS
    and other vested interests, ie the computer industry).

    http://www.nicholasgcarr.com/articles/matter.html

    The Linux thorn may pale in comparison to a computer consumer (both corporate
    and individual) who start to realize that the computer industry has been
    using FUD to push "solutions" that neither meet the expectations raised nor
    provide a strategic advantage. This is where Linux may get it's most
    traction. Bill Gates was accused of not understanding the article, I think he
    understood the article very well and the potential implications for the
    computer industry (and MS), for Nicolas Carr articulating what the corporate
    computer consumer has perhaps been thinking for some time. The game is up for
    the computer industry.

    Cheers,

    Edmund
    Edmund Good, Nov 19, 2004