    Joe
    YY
    remove BBB YYY

    Joe, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Joe

    bb3 Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    news:CkIab.4855$...
    > Lately I have been getting a lot of e mails about updating and patches.

    They
    > are supposed to be from MS but I suspect bogus mail with an attachment to
    > open.
    > Any one else getting these?
    >
    > --
    > Joe
    > YY
    > remove BBB YYY

    Sweet Jesus! Haven't you read *any* of today's posts?

    bb3, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Joe

    Ronald Guest

    "bb3" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > > Lately I have been getting a lot of e mails about updating and patches.

    > They
    > > are supposed to be from MS but I suspect bogus mail with an attachment

    > > open.
    > > Any one else getting these?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Joe
    > > YY
    > > remove BBB YYY
    > >

    > Sweet Jesus! Haven't you read *any* of today's posts?

    I've been getting them as well but there are no posts about them that I can
    see. Perhaps someone is deleting the posts as well?

    Ron

    Ronald, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:04:08 GMT, bb3 wrote:

    >"Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> Lately I have been getting a lot of e mails about updating and patches.

    >They
    >> are supposed to be from MS but I suspect bogus mail with an attachment to
    >> open.
    >> Any one else getting these?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joe
    >> YY
    >> remove BBB YYY
    >>

    >Sweet Jesus! Haven't you read *any* of today's posts?

    Exactly.....

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Joe

    Boomer Guest

    Joe said:

    > Lately I have been getting a lot of e mails about updating and
    > patches. They are supposed to be from MS but I suspect bogus
    > mail with an attachment to open.
    > Any one else getting these?

    Have you read any messages in this group in the past... say 12 hours?

    W32.Swen.A@mm or W32/Gibe-F, or Worm Swen.A

    See how to create a message rule in OE *.

    Further information at:

    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    "W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread through
    file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill
    antivirus and personal firewall programs running on a computer.

    The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From:
    address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for
    Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail."

    "The worm can also impersonate mail delivery failure notices..."

    "The worm spreads through email, KaZaA, IRC, Network Shares, and
    newsgroups."

    Delete the e-mail. Make sure your AV is up to date. Pass along this
    information to those who may benefit from it.

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_vir_tt.php#1
    Computer Associates:
    http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36939
    F-Secure
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml
    Network Associates:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm
    Trend Micro:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_
    SWEN.A

    And at this newsgroup: alt.comp.anti-virus

    Make sure your preview pane is off.
    For Hotmail, set your application to only download headers.

    Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
    Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

    Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2,
    UNIX, Windows 3.x

    *Borrowed from George (Bindar Dundat ©)
    Posted at: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

    <Quote>
    One protection method is to create a message rule in Outlook Express
    as follows;
    Go to Tools>Message Rules>Mail>New
    In the top box) Check "Where the From Line Contains People" and
    "Where the
    Message has an Attachment"
    In the center box) Check "Mark as Read" and "Delete it" and "Stop
    Processing
    More Rules"
    In the bottom box) Click on "Contains People" (in blue) and add
    "microsoft.com"
    (no quotes).
    Do not use "Delete from server" since OE has no way of knowing if
    there is
    an
    attachment until it arrives in your inbox.
    If you use any other rules which sort mail into different folders or
    otherwise
    move the mail from the Inbox, then it is imperative that the above
    rule be
    moved
    to the top of the rules list.
    </Quote>

    You might consider a new e-mail client such as Mozilla Thunderbird.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
    More at:
    http://www.webattack.com/freeware/misctools/fwbrowser.html

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Joe

    Boomer Guest

    Ronald said:

    > "bb3" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> > Lately I have been getting a lot of e mails about updating
    >> > and patches.

    >> They
    >> > are supposed to be from MS but I suspect bogus mail with an
    >> > attachment

    >> > open.
    >> > Any one else getting these?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Joe
    >> > YY
    >> > remove BBB YYY
    >> >

    >> Sweet Jesus! Haven't you read *any* of today's posts?

    > I've been getting them as well but there are no posts about them
    > that I can see. Perhaps someone is deleting the posts as well?
    >
    > Ron

    What? You can't see any messages about this.. here????
    No one is deleteing the messages here. Maybe you should talk to your
    ISP if the messages aren't appearing. :(

    Try this.
    F5 to refresh the page and View> Show All Posts
    or
    From the View menu choose Current View > Replies to my posts
    Use Help for more tips on configuring OE

    If you still can't see the messages
    check the archive, for this group, at

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Sweet Jesus, no I have not read any posts today, I thought that this was a
    good place to ask a question.
    I don't scan the newsgroup before posting, maybe I will start.

    --
    Joe
    YY

    Joe, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Joe

    Boomer Guest

    Joe said:

    > Sweet Jesus, no I have not read any posts today, I thought that
    > this was a good place to ask a question.
    > I don't scan the newsgroup before posting, maybe I will start.

    Yeah. That's generally a good idea before posting a question. :)

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  9. Joe

    trout Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > Joe said:
    >
    >> Sweet Jesus, no I have not read any posts today, I thought that
    >> this was a good place to ask a question.
    >> I don't scan the newsgroup before posting, maybe I will start.
    >>

    > Yeah. That's generally a good idea before posting a question. :)

    Especially when that question begins "Has anyone else....".
    --
    "*sigh*"

    trout, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Joe

    Richard Guest

    I count 8 threads in the last 12 hours, including your one. To solve the
    problem have your ISP install Spam & Virus protection. My ISP has been
    running Brightmail for 2 weeks now and I have had one spam, no viruses and
    no genuine emails blocked.

    Richard, Sep 19, 2003
  11. Joe

    Boomer Guest

    trout said:

    > Boomer wrote:
    >
    >> Joe said:
    >>
    >>> Sweet Jesus, no I have not read any posts today, I thought that
    >>> this was a good place to ask a question.
    >>> I don't scan the newsgroup before posting, maybe I will start.
    >>>

    >> Yeah. That's generally a good idea before posting a question. :)

    > Especially when that question begins "Has anyone else....".

    Heh! ;)

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  12. Joe

    gangle Guest

    "Boomer" wrote
    > Joe said:
    >
    > > Sweet Jesus, no I have not read any posts today, I thought that
    > > this was a good place to ask a question.
    > > I don't scan the newsgroup before posting, maybe I will start.
    > >

    > Yeah. That's generally a good idea before posting a question. :)

    It's not just a good idea, it's common sense and basic netiquette.
    The OP has admitted to a form of hysteria wherein he thinks
    blindly posting a question, then waiting for answers is somehow
    more efficient than scanning through headers and reading a few
    posts to see if his problem has already been addressed.

    gangle, Sep 20, 2003
  13. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Sep 21, 2003