MS to support Suse?....uh April fool? bt late...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Nov 2, 2006

  2. thingy

    Rob Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_Microsoft_and_Novell_to_Announce_Linux_Partnership/1162497930
    >

    > times they are interesting...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
    been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
    stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
    acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
    continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching to
    Linux, or add Linux to their mix.

    The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something similar.
    --
    Rob

    Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft...and the
    only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor. (Wernher von Braun)
    Rob, Nov 2, 2006

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_Microsoft_and_Novell_to_Announce_Linux_Partnership/1162497930
    >>

    >> times they are interesting...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing

    > Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
    > been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
    > stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
    > acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
    > continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching to
    > Linux, or add Linux to their mix.
    >
    > The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something
    > similar.

    I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their OS
    base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with their
    attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be seeing the
    code and working with it every day....they only have to have a breakdown
    in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and their MS code is
    compromised.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 2, 2006
  4. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_Microsoft_and_Novell_to_Announce_Linux_Partnership/1162497930
    >>>

    >>> times they are interesting...
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> thing

    >> Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
    >> been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
    >> stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
    >> acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
    >> continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching to
    >> Linux, or add Linux to their mix.
    >>
    >> The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something
    >> similar.

    > I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their OS
    > base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with their
    > attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be seeing the
    > code and working with it every day....they only have to have a breakdown
    > in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and their MS code is
    > compromised.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    It's probably better to have them inside the tent pissing out, than
    outside the tent pissing in.
    Lyndon B. Johnson
    Earl Grey, Nov 2, 2006
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Rob wrote:

    >>> Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid. I've
    >>> been expecting something like this for a while now. I thought at one
    >>> stage they might bring out their own Linux, but with their record of
    >>> acquiring rather than re-inventing, this deal makes sense. They can
    >>> continue being a one-stop shop should a customer consider switching
    >>> to Linux, or add Linux to their mix.
    >>>
    >>> The next step is to acquire Crossover Office or buy/build something
    >>> similar.

    >> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their
    >> OS base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with
    >> their attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be
    >> seeing the code and working with it every day....they only have to
    >> have a breakdown in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and
    >> their MS code is compromised.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > It's probably better to have them inside the tent pissing out, than
    > outside the tent pissing in.
    > Lyndon B. Johnson

    But who are they going to be pissing out on? their own OSes?

    Have you considered inside the tent pissing in?

    Remembering MS's embrace and extend?

    Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable" royalties
    claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way that doing a
    deal with MS leads to disaster....

    OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 2, 2006
  6. thingy

    Philip Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their
    >>> OS base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with
    >>> their attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be
    >>> seeing the code and working with it every day....they only have to
    >>> have a breakdown in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and
    >>> their MS code is compromised.
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing
    >>>

    >> It's probably better to have them inside the tent pissing out, than
    >> outside the tent pissing in.
    >> Lyndon B. Johnson

    > But who are they going to be pissing out on? their own OSes?
    >
    > Have you considered inside the tent pissing in?
    >
    > Remembering MS's embrace and extend?
    >
    > Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable" royalties
    > claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way that doing a
    > deal with MS leads to disaster....
    >
    > OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    i think that is real issue here. MS is well aware that there's market
    share in Open Source, and thexy've felt the heat from anti-monopoly
    agencies in the US and abroad.

    The Novell deal makes MS look good in front of the European Union,
    allows MS to give way gracefully on ODF document formats, and gets it
    out of the hole it dug itself into with "Open XML", and gives the
    company a rights-and-licence based relationship with the enemy.

    The OSS / Linux commnunity will benefit if API details emerge and are
    published as part of this (the inwardness of thhe networking API would
    be welcome at Samba, thank you very much) - and we may just be seeing
    the crumbling of the OS edifice.

    Deep thinkers at MS may well have concluded that there's less money in
    the proprietary OS, with all its vulnerabilties, public odium and
    hugesly expensive maintenance costs, and perhaps more in slowly moving
    to being a do minan t software solutions provider offering the one-stop
    business and office package represented in Office 2007 & Windows Media
    Centre, and in servers where Linux is at least as influential as Windows, ,

    Could Vista be the last Microsoft home and office operating system?

    Philip
    Philip, Nov 3, 2006
  7. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> I cannot see the sense....they already have an OS....why dilute their
    >>> OS base by supporting Linux, plain crazy IMHO.....especially with
    >>> their attitude to GPL software......their people are going to be
    >>> seeing the code and working with it every day....they only have to
    >>> have a breakdown in the chinese wall between GPL code and MS code and
    >>> their MS code is compromised.
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing
    >>>

    >> It's probably better to have them inside the tent pissing out, than
    >> outside the tent pissing in.
    >> Lyndon B. Johnson

    > But who are they going to be pissing out on? their own OSes?
    >
    > Have you considered inside the tent pissing in?
    >
    > Remembering MS's embrace and extend?
    >
    > Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable" royalties
    > claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way that doing a
    > deal with MS leads to disaster....
    >
    > OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Microsoft may have some large clients that don't like being told that
    they shouldn't use linux and Microsoft intend to make things hard for
    them if they do.
    They have seen Apple's response to hackers installing Windows on Intel
    Macs... Bootcamp and virtualization. Resistance is futile.
    Its acknowledging the operating system agnostics among us. Anyone who
    uses Google or any other site based on a linux server becomes a linux
    user after all.
    The GPL is an embrace and extend friendly licence.
    OSS already has the likes of MS in the same camp, Apple, Sun, IBM,
    Novell, Google.
    None of them are going "OMG OMFG we can't use Linux, we will be pwned !!!!"
    Earl Grey, Nov 3, 2006
  8. T'was the Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:01:46 +1300 when I remembered Philip
    <> saying something like this:

    >i think that is real issue here. MS is well aware that there's market
    >share in Open Source, and thexy've felt the heat from anti-monopoly
    >agencies in the US and abroad.

    Remember the famous Microsoft u-turn in regards to the Internet (or is
    that internet? There really is only one Internet, and it's use has
    become ubiquitous), and they'd be fools to ignore Open Source
    Software. You can call the company many things, but stupid's not
    really one of them.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 3, 2006
  9. thingy

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 3, 2006
  10. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    steve wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_Microsoft_and_Novell_to_Announce_Linux_Partnership/1162497930
    >>
    >> times they are interesting...

    > Isn't this the version of Linux being rolled out on 10,000 desktops in
    > Munich?

    No

    "The final decision announced on April 14, 2005, came as a bit of a
    surprise to many. The winner for this contract was not IBM but a
    consortium of the two SMEs, Softcon and Gonicus. They will be deploying
    not SuSE but Debian GNU/Linux, the freest of the Linux distributions. "

    http://www.ssrc.org/wiki/POSA/index.php?title=LiMux—Free_Software_for_Munich
    Earl Grey, Nov 3, 2006
  11. thingy

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:01:46 +1000, Philip wrote:

    > thingy wrote:
    >> Earl Grey wrote:

    >>> It's probably better to have them inside the tent pissing out, than
    >>> outside the tent pissing in.
    >>> Lyndon B. Johnson

    >> But who are they going to be pissing out on? their own OSes?
    >>
    >> Have you considered inside the tent pissing in?
    >>
    >> Remembering MS's embrace and extend?
    >>
    >> Or how they try and mess up standards boards with "reasonable"
    >> royalties claims etc etc....many companies have learned the hard way
    >> that doing a deal with MS leads to disaster....
    >>
    >> OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > i think that is real issue here. MS is well aware that there's market
    > share in Open Source, and thexy've felt the heat from anti-monopoly
    > agencies in the US and abroad.
    >
    > The Novell deal makes MS look good in front of the European Union,
    > allows MS to give way gracefully on ODF document formats, and gets it
    > out of the hole it dug itself into with "Open XML", and gives the
    > company a rights-and-licence based relationship with the enemy.
    >
    > The OSS / Linux commnunity will benefit if API details emerge and are
    > published as part of this (the inwardness of thhe networking API would
    > be welcome at Samba, thank you very much) - and we may just be seeing
    > the crumbling of the OS edifice.
    >
    > Deep thinkers at MS may well have concluded that there's less money in
    > the proprietary OS, with all its vulnerabilties, public odium and
    > hugesly expensive maintenance costs, and perhaps more in slowly moving
    > to being a do minan t software solutions provider offering the one-stop
    > business and office package represented in Office 2007 & Windows Media
    > Centre, and in servers where Linux is at least as influential as
    > Windows, ,
    >
    > Could Vista be the last Microsoft home and office operating system?
    >
    > Philip

    Or, shallow thinkers might think its just another form of extend embrace
    exterminate as suggested above.
    Call me paranoid possums, but I wouldn't trust them with an
    expired bus ticket.

    --
    BrianM
    BrianM, Nov 3, 2006
  12. thingy

    steve Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> http://www.betanews.com/article/WSJ_Microsoft_and_Novell_to_Announce_Linux_Partnership/1162497930
    >>>
    >>> times they are interesting...

    >> Isn't this the version of Linux being rolled out on 10,000 desktops in
    >> Munich?

    > No
    >
    > "The final decision announced on April 14, 2005, came as a bit of a
    > surprise to many. The winner for this contract was not IBM but a
    > consortium of the two SMEs, Softcon and Gonicus. They will be deploying
    > not SuSE but Debian GNU/Linux, the freest of the Linux distributions. "
    >
    > http://www.ssrc.org/wiki/POSA/index.php?title=LiMux—Free_Software_for_Munich

    OK, Thanks.

    SuSE had originally been mooted at the time of the bid as it was a
    German company.

    Interesting to note they have deliberately avoided being beholden to a
    vendor.
    steve, Nov 3, 2006
  13. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message
    > thingy wrote:
    >>
    >> OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
    >>

    > Microsoft may have some large clients that don't like being told
    > that they shouldn't use linux and Microsoft intend to make things
    > hard for them if they do.
    > They have seen Apple's response to hackers installing Windows on
    > Intel Macs... Bootcamp and virtualization. Resistance is futile.
    > Its acknowledging the operating system agnostics among us. Anyone
    > who uses Google or any other site based on a linux server becomes a
    > linux user after all.
    > The GPL is an embrace and extend friendly licence.
    > OSS already has the likes of MS in the same camp, Apple, Sun, IBM,
    > Novell, Google.
    > None of them are going "OMG OMFG we can't use Linux, we will be
    > pwned !!!!"

    This article from November 2003, when Novell first purchased Suse,
    provides some interesting background.

    http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5101680.html

    IBM, Novell, and now Microsoft -- none of them are guided by the
    gentle philospohy of "extend and embrace". This is business we're
    talking about. Linux bloggers have been very kind to IBM and Novell
    over the past several years, apparently thinking -- as you seem to --
    that this thing called "OSS" is a community of some sort (Waylon's
    earlier analogy to the internet is a good one, I think) with a more
    refined sense of liberty and justice governed by the GPL. Turns out,
    though, that taking exclusive ownership of bits of code tacked onto a
    GPL'ed core is a pretty good way to make money, and contracting for
    the exclusive rights to service software packages like that is even
    better. As the article I referenced above shows, mitigating
    competition, not opening it up, is what drives all of these companies,
    so mergers, acquisitions, and strategic alliances are likely to
    increase, just as they have in the web content and services
    sector.Will the Linux blogosphere treat this latest turn as a
    "Micro$oft" kind of thing or an "O$$" kind of thing? Hard to say.
    impossible, Nov 3, 2006
  14. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> OSS does not need the likes of MS in the same camp IMHO.
    >>>

    >> Microsoft may have some large clients that don't like being told
    >> that they shouldn't use linux and Microsoft intend to make things
    >> hard for them if they do.
    >> They have seen Apple's response to hackers installing Windows on
    >> Intel Macs... Bootcamp and virtualization. Resistance is futile.
    >> Its acknowledging the operating system agnostics among us. Anyone
    >> who uses Google or any other site based on a linux server becomes a
    >> linux user after all.
    >> The GPL is an embrace and extend friendly licence.
    >> OSS already has the likes of MS in the same camp, Apple, Sun, IBM,
    >> Novell, Google.
    >> None of them are going "OMG OMFG we can't use Linux, we will be
    >> pwned !!!!"
    >>

    > This article from November 2003, when Novell first purchased Suse,
    > provides some interesting background.
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5101680.html
    >
    > IBM, Novell, and now Microsoft -- none of them are guided by the
    > gentle philospohy of "extend and embrace". This is business we're
    > talking about. Linux bloggers have been very kind to IBM and Novell
    > over the past several years, apparently thinking -- as you seem to --
    > that this thing called "OSS" is a community of some sort (Waylon's
    > earlier analogy to the internet is a good one, I think) with a more
    > refined sense of liberty and justice governed by the GPL. Turns out,
    > though, that taking exclusive ownership of bits of code tacked onto a
    > GPL'ed core is a pretty good way to make money, and contracting for
    > the exclusive rights to service software packages like that is even
    > better. As the article I referenced above shows, mitigating
    > competition, not opening it up, is what drives all of these companies,
    > so mergers, acquisitions, and strategic alliances are likely to
    > increase, just as they have in the web content and services
    > sector.Will the Linux blogosphere treat this latest turn as a
    > "Micro$oft" kind of thing or an "O$$" kind of thing? Hard to say.

    A rising tide lifts all boats.
    Earl Grey, Nov 3, 2006
  15. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Microsoft may have some large clients that don't like being told
    >>> that they shouldn't use linux and Microsoft intend to make things
    >>> hard for them if they do.
    >>> They have seen Apple's response to hackers installing Windows on
    >>> Intel Macs... Bootcamp and virtualization. Resistance is futile.
    >>> Its acknowledging the operating system agnostics among us. Anyone
    >>> who uses Google or any other site based on a linux server becomes
    >>> a linux user after all.
    >>> The GPL is an embrace and extend friendly licence.
    >>> OSS already has the likes of MS in the same camp, Apple, Sun, IBM,
    >>> Novell, Google.
    >>> None of them are going "OMG OMFG we can't use Linux, we will be
    >>> pwned !!!!"
    >>>

    >> This article from November 2003, when Novell first purchased Suse,
    >> provides some interesting background.
    >>
    >> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5101680.html
    >>
    >> IBM, Novell, and now Microsoft -- none of them are guided by the
    >> gentle philospohy of "extend and embrace". This is business we're
    >> talking about. Linux bloggers have been very kind to IBM and Novell
    >> over the past several years, apparently thinking -- as you seem
    >> to -- that this thing called "OSS" is a community of some sort
    >> (Waylon's earlier analogy to the internet is a good one, I think)
    >> with a more refined sense of liberty and justice governed by the
    >> GPL. Turns out, though, that taking exclusive ownership of bits of
    >> code tacked onto a GPL'ed core is a pretty good way to make money,
    >> and contracting for the exclusive rights to service software
    >> packages like that is even better. As the article I referenced
    >> above shows, mitigating competition, not opening it up, is what
    >> drives all of these companies, so mergers, acquisitions, and
    >> strategic alliances are likely to increase, just as they have in
    >> the web content and services sector.Will the Linux blogosphere
    >> treat this latest turn as a "Micro$oft" kind of thing or an "O$$"
    >> kind of thing? Hard to say.

    > A rising tide lifts all boats.

    Kumbaya.
    impossible, Nov 3, 2006
  16. thingy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > The OSS / Linux commnunity will benefit if API details emerge and are
    > published as part of this (the inwardness of thhe networking API would
    > be welcome at Samba, thank you very much)

    Hah! Like that's going to happen.

    > - and we may just be seeing
    > the crumbling of the OS edifice.

    Seems to me that there is little doubt that this is happening. Already,
    for so many people, it matters little what OS you use, as long as it
    connects to and works with content on the internet.

    > Deep thinkers at MS may well have concluded that there's less money in
    > the proprietary OS, with all its vulnerabilties, public odium and
    > hugesly expensive maintenance costs,

    I think that MS has been aware of this for a long time - maybe as long
    as ten years. "Breaking Windows" by David Bank is an interesting read
    and suggests that Gates, Ballmer and others are all aware of what they
    have to do; reduce their dependency on Windows, and move to web based
    services. Bill Gates couldn't do it, and I doubt that Ballmer and Ozzie
    can either.

    They have no way of moving from where they are now, to any other peak in
    the fitness landscape - the huge value of their company and shareholding
    (not to mention their vast customer base) all conspire to work against
    them. They'd never survive the trip through even a small valley, and the
    landscape seems unlikely to change (or to be changed by MS) to avoid the
    necessity of doing that.

    So they maintain the status quo for as long as possible. For example,
    AJAX has recently become a big and important aspect of the current web,
    but this is actually quite an old technique, originally pioneered by MS.
    Perhaps they deliberately held this back; likewise they killed all IE
    innovation for a number of years, even going so far as to say that the
    browser was a mature product and there was no need for further
    development. They've tried to tie browser upgrades to OS releases - no
    wonder IE is so tired, dragging along a whole OS behind it.

    They were just trying to stall the inevitable, the rise of more and more
    stuff being done on the web, and that becoming more important than the
    OS that you do this from. How relevant is Encarta these days?

    Having more choices to use as the underlying OS - especially if one
    essentially comes to them with 99% of the development done for free -
    makes sense, if they can get their dollar from the services it offers.
    The ROI could potentially be huge, but their problem is how to achieve
    this without gutting the company.

    and perhaps more in slowly moving
    > to being a do minan t software solutions provider offering the one-stop
    > business and office package represented in Office 2007 & Windows Media
    > Centre, and in servers where Linux is at least as influential as Windows, ,
    >
    > Could Vista be the last Microsoft home and office operating system?

    I think so. If a company that has been doing OSes for 30 years is having
    as much trouble building Vista as MS has, maybe there is something
    fundamentally wrong with the product or process.

    Meanwhile, MacOSX has regular updates at reasonable prices, and Ubuntu
    has a 6 monthly release schedule.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 3, 2006
  17. Re: freeest of the Linux distros (was Re: MS to support Suse?....)

    In message <454b180c$>, Earl Grey wrote:

    > "... Debian GNU/Linux, the freest of the Linux distributions. "

    By the way, Richard Stallman doesn't agree. Guess which one he uses?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2006
  18. Re: MS to support Suse?....uh April fool? bit late...

    In message <454a69d2$>, Rob wrote:

    > Microsoft is many things, but one thing they are not, is stupid.

    To quote Forrest Gump: "stupid is as stupid does". Sometimes people's
    actions are not described as "stupid" until it's too late. Open Source is a
    disruptive technology which completely undermines the whole of Microsoft's
    business model. Microsoft and its shareholders are making a whole lot of
    profit from that current business model. Which do you think they would
    consider "stupid"--throwing it away and embracing their enemy, or making a
    stand to defend their turf and fighting every step of the way?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2006
  19. Re: MS to support Suse?....uh April fool? bit late...

    In message <>, impossible wrote:

    > Turns out,though, that taking exclusive ownership of bits of code tacked
    > onto a GPL'ed core is a pretty good way to make money, and contracting for
    > the exclusive rights to service software packages like that is even
    > better.

    In other words, give away the software, sell support. That's ALWAYS been the
    number one way to make money from Open Source. So what else is new?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2006
  20. thingy

    impossible Guest

    Re: MS to support Suse?....uh April fool? bit late...

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:eigj3v$dh4$...
    > In message <>,
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Turns out,though, that taking exclusive ownership of bits of code
    >> tacked
    >> onto a GPL'ed core is a pretty good way to make money, and
    >> contracting for
    >> the exclusive rights to service software packages like that is even
    >> better.

    > In other words, give away the software, sell support. That's ALWAYS
    > been the
    > number one way to make money from Open Source. So what else is new?

    It's a little late in the thread for a lame comment like that.
    impossible, Nov 4, 2006