MS to settle anti-trust suit with 'Be'

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the host
    of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    MS may have got a get-out-of-jail-free card from the Bush administration for
    their 12 federal anti-trust convictions....but consumers, competitors,
    state regulators and the European Union aren't as easily or cheaply bought
    off as G W Bush was.

    Microsoft to pay $23-million (U.S.) to Be
    Associated Press

    SEATTLE ? Microsoft Corp. agreed Friday to pay $23.3-million (U.S.) to Be
    Inc. to settle an antitrust lawsuit that claimed the software giant
    negotiated deals with computer makers that cut out the smaller company's
    competing operating system.

    Microsoft admits no wrongdoing under the settlement. The company did not
    disclose further details.

    The lawsuit, filed in February 2002, is one of four private antitrust suits
    brought against Microsoft after a U.S. federal judge's ruling that
    Microsoft had acted as an illegal monopoly based on its dominance in
    desktop operating systems.

    Redmond-based Microsoft resolved one of the private cases in May, agreeing
    to pay AOL Time Warner $750-million to settle its private antitrust lawsuit
    on behalf of AOL's Netscape division. The other two, filed by Sun
    Microsystems and Burst.com, remain in pretrial proceedings in federal court
    in Maryland.

    Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler declined to say whether the company is in
    settlement discussions with either party.

    Microsoft also faces another 12 state class-action antitrust lawsuits filed
    on behalf of consumers.

    Be, based in Mountain View, Calif., contended that Microsoft violated
    California and federal antitrust laws by negotiating deals with computer
    manufacturers to use Microsoft's operating system exclusively, cutting out
    Be's competing operating system. Be is in the process of shutting down its
    business under a dissolution plan approved by its shareholders in 2001.

    Microsoft contended that Be failed for reasons unrelated to Microsoft.

    "While we believe we would have ultimately prevailed in this case, Microsoft
    is very pleased to settle this lawsuit," Microsoft general counsel Brad
    Smith said in a statement.

    Be's president, Dan Johnston, did not immediately return a call seeking
    comment Friday evening.

    steve, Sep 9, 2003

  2. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote
    > Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the host
    > of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    $23M.. oohhh, poor microsoft... they probably have more than that in petty
    cash.

    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > "steve" wrote
    >> Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the
    >> host of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    > $23M.. oohhh, poor microsoft... they probably have more than that in petty
    > cash.

    .....crime doesn't pay.

    This is just one of their suits.

    They are also in danger of being forced to pay US$500m / MONTH in damages to
    the EU fines.......

    steve, Sep 9, 2003
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    Patrick Bold allegedly said:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the

    > host
    >> of anti-trust suits brought against it.
    >>
    >> MS may have got a get-out-of-jail-free card from the Bush

    > administration for
    >> their 12 federal anti-trust convictions....but consumers, competitors,
    >> state regulators and the European Union aren't as easily or cheaply

    > bought
    >> off as G W Bush was.
    >>

    > Stick US$1 billion cash in an ordinary savings account for a year and
    > the settlement is paid in full. Multiply US$1 billion by 40 (Microsoft's
    > cash reserves at the end of 2002) and you have a rough idea of just how
    > (un)painful this whole business is for them.

    The EU anti-trust fines may be 40 times this - per month.

    steve, Sep 9, 2003
  5. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote
    > ....crime doesn't pay.

    It does if you make more than you pay out, but from what you have mentioned
    below, even MS may have trouble with that.

    > They are also in danger of being forced to pay US$500m / MONTH in damages

    > the EU fines.......

    What for this time?

    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003
  6. steve

    Max Burke Guest

    > steve scribbled:
    > Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the
    > host of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    It's a business decision.
    It's probably the least expensive option, after calculating the
    costs.....
    Oh and it's also the way the legal system works. Surely you're not
    suggesting that Microsoft not be allowed to use the legal system like
    that?

    > MS may have got a get-out-of-jail-free card from the Bush
    > administration for their 12 federal anti-trust convictions....but
    > consumers, competitors, state regulators and the European Union
    > aren't as easily or cheaply bought off as G W Bush was.

    You think? By the time everyone else (especially the European Union)
    gets around to making a decision, the whole IT world, let alone
    Microsoft would have moved on, got over it, and be using the latest OS,
    software, and hardware......

    BTW How long does it take for Microsoft to earn $23 million? 15
    minutes? 30 minutes? an hour?

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Sep 9, 2003
  7. steve

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bjj54o$j4v5t$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "steve" wrote
    > > Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the host
    > > of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    > $23M.. oohhh, poor microsoft... they probably have more than that in petty
    > cash.

    What? After they paid AOL $750 million?

    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003
  8. steve

    Rob Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bjj54o$j4v5t$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    > > "steve" wrote
    > > > Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the

    host
    > > > of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    > > $23M.. oohhh, poor microsoft... they probably have more than that in

    petty
    > > cash.

    > What? After they paid AOL $750 million?

    Ok, so they gotta get a cheque signed. Still ain't gonna hurt them much.

    Think about it. Would 1 million pcs in nz with $750 ms software in each be
    too great a leap? Probably a huge underestimation.

    Rob

    Rob, Sep 9, 2003
  9. steve

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:21:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <bjj54o$j4v5t$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> "steve" wrote
    >> > Microsoft is shelling out yet again in order to settle another in the host
    >> > of anti-trust suits brought against it.

    >> $23M.. oohhh, poor microsoft... they probably have more than that in petty
    >> cash.

    >What? After they paid AOL $750 million?

    They still won in this case, didn't they? IE now deployed exclusively
    on AOL and Netscape shut down.

    GraB, Sep 9, 2003
  10. steve

    GraB Guest

    At least the desktop OS is resurrected under the Zeta name at
    http://www.yellowtab.com/

    Of two people who I knew of who used it, one said he had no crashes in
    a whole year, the other said he had one crash, which was his own
    fault.

    GraB, Sep 9, 2003
  11. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "GraB" wrote
    > They still won in this case, didn't they? IE now deployed exclusively
    > on AOL and Netscape shut down.

    heh, nice point.

    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003
  12. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > "steve" wrote
    >> ....crime doesn't pay.

    > It does if you make more than you pay out, but from what you have
    > mentioned below, even MS may have trouble with that.
    >
    >> They are also in danger of being forced to pay US$500m / MONTH in damages

    >> the EU fines.......

    > What for this time?

    The usual....illegal anti-competitive business practice. Here are two
    articles - one from August and one from this week.

    August 6th:
    *************

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...on=technology&thesecondsubsection=information
    or http://tinyurl.com/mp5p

    Extract (partial):

    But the Commission's tough-sounding rhetoric indicated it had no intention
    of backing down.

    "At this stage, we have so much evidence and we are in possession of such a
    substantive file that we believe any decision we take will withstand
    scrutiny of the European court," Commission spokesman Tilman Lueder told a
    briefing.

    September 7th:

    Extract (partial):

    Financial penalty

    Microsoft has been battling anti-trust probes on both sides of the Atlantic
    for most of the past four years.

    If the Commission finds it guilty of breaching European competition law, the
    company could face fines of up to 10% of its global turnover - about
    $2.5bn.

    steve, Sep 9, 2003