    Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
    saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order
    please?"
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Their support is virtually non-existent now. Why would you think it might
    get better when Vista is released, or even between now and then?
    Microsoft was one of the last vendors to port their keyboards etc and even
    then my keyboard was dropped from support even though relatively new.

    John Barnes, Sep 2, 2006

  3. That was the point of the thread. Hoping someone could say otherwise.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006
  4. Yes, I am participating in a beta program for XP Pro x64 Service Pack 2.

    It is not true that MS has not worked hard to get hardware vendors to
    support x64. But MS can only persuade, they cannot dictate.

    Why does MS need a public beta of WMP11 for x64? They think they can
    develop WMP11 fine without it. WMP11 x86 and x64 would be feature identical
    anyway, so what would they gain?

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006
  5. Dont take this the wrong way but EA learned the hard way the value of public
    betas. They have been plagued with problems and patches that create more
    problems then they fix. Sound familiar? They finally started going to more
    public beta testing. It seem to be working better. Who better to tell you
    whats buggy than a very large group of your users? I am simply suggesting
    that they could help persuade the major hardware vendors like Logitech to
    jump on the xp x64 band wagon.

    Read Logitech's x64 forum and you will get an idea of whats going on. Just
    remember that the forum has only been up for about four months.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006
  6. The difference between WMP11 for x86 and x64 is only the target of the
    compilation. MS does not lack testers to double check the x64 version of
    the build. They do want feature and functionality testing and that is
    easily done with the much larger x86 user base.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

    DP Guest

    > Is anyone out there participating in any betas for XP Pro x64?
    > Microsoft or other?

    What about the beta of 64-bit IE7? Does that count?
    DP, Sep 2, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since RC1 was already released, probably not. But at least it shows some
    support.

    John Barnes, Sep 2, 2006
  9. And Windows Defender for x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006
  10. And other things we can't discuss.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 2, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

    DP Guest

    > And Windows Defender for x64.

    Correct. I was going to mention that as well.

    BTW: I'm not defending MS, just answering a specific question.

    However, I wonder if the OP's question is flawed. I say this because I would
    estimate that the vast majority of x64 installs (not counting any trial
    versions that haven't expired yet) is the OEM version. The OEM version has
    NO support from Microsoft. The support is supposed to come only from the
    OEM.
    (BTW: When I say "vast majority" of installs are OEM, I say that to
    recognize that there also are academic versions of x64 out there, as this
    forum has pointed out recently.)

    At any rate, I realize I may be splitting hairs here. The OP probably didn't
    mean help-line-type support, but simply meant whether MS would come out with
    more products for x64. But I just thought I'd point out the OEM-support
    aspect of this as well so that we're all talking about the same thing.
    DP, Sep 2, 2006
  12. Them too.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006
  13. I understand that MS does give more help than they do with x86 OEM Windows
    because they realize that there are system builders who do not give very
    good support and that there is no retail alternative for their customers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 2, 2006
  14. Are the programs x64 MS is developing both designed to run on both XP Prox64
    and Vista x64; that is to say, will the beta for XP Pro x64 also install on
    Vista x64 or is there a seperate code for each? I would kind of like to know
    if the Vista x64 apps will also run on XP Pro x64?

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Sep 3, 2006
  15. On hardware support - honestly, this is something that MS can't control, and
    they have to be very, very careful how they handle it. (Any one heard the
    term "consent decree"?)

    As for the HCL - I think we all wish it were back. But it's been gone for
    quite a long while, long before x64 Edition.

    I honestly expect that the driver situation will stay about the same or get
    a bit better as we move towards Vista. Once vendors have made the
    committment to port to x64, it's not hard to do an XP version as well. And
    there will continue to be XP x64 in the marketplace, at least for a while.
    But the reality is that once XP shipped, Windows 2000 became a niche market.
    Hello, that's how the software business is. Once Vista ships, no one's
    attention will be on XP.

    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 3, 2006
  16. MS is committed to providing their products on all platforms currently in
    active support when the nature of the product makes it reasonable to do so.
    Each platform has its own requirements. There are things specifically
    designed for Vista and introduced in Vista that will not be backported to
    XP. There are usually architectual reasons for that, such as with
    CompletePC Backup.

    Other betas, such as the One Care beta, are only released in x86 form
    because the public beta is for feature testing and usability feedback, not
    for code checking. An x64 version is not seen until launch time. The same
    thing is happening with WMP11 beta.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 3, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    > On hardware support - honestly, this is something that MS can't control,
    > and
    > they have to be very, very careful how they handle it. (Any one heard the
    > term "consent decree"?)

    What was it Shakespeare said about lawyers? but since he failed to garner
    enough support they have multiplied to where they control too many
    governments.

    > I honestly expect that the driver situation will stay about the same or
    > get a bit better as we move towards Vista. Once vendors have made the
    > committment to port to x64, it's not hard to do an XP version as well. And
    > there will continue to be XP x64 in the marketplace, at least for a while.
    > But the reality is that once XP shipped, Windows 2000 became a niche
    > market. Hello, that's how the software business is. Once Vista ships, no
    > one's attention will be on XP.

    Especially now that RC1 has shipped and developers have THE version to
    develop to, what developer will even bother with XP x64. After all, we all
    know it has a very small installed base and Vista will have a larger
    installed base, probably by February 2007, if not the week it is available
    in stores.

    John Barnes, Sep 3, 2006
  18. And in every one of those, there's a PM or two who has heard the requirement
    to support x64 LOUD and CLEAR. ;) I'm getting a bit of a reputation, I fear.
    <g>

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 3, 2006
  19. I forgot to mention Windows Desktop Search 3.0 beta for x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 3, 2006
  20. On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 07:39:40 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > On hardware support - honestly, this is something that MS can't control,
    > and they have to be very, very careful how they handle it. (Any one
    > heard the term "consent decree"?)
    >
    > As for the HCL - I think we all wish it were back. But it's been gone
    > for quite a long while, long before x64 Edition.
    >
    > I honestly expect that the driver situation will stay about the same or
    > get a bit better as we move towards Vista.

    I think the exact opposite will happen, as Vista forces signed drivers in
    x64. Much of my working hardware is currently on unsigned drivers, and
    given the manufacturers reluctance to bother getting them signed in the
    past, I don't think Vista will change their mindset.

    I have a choice, stick with XP x64, move to Vista 32bit, or buy from that
    miniscule list of signed driver hardware...
    Mark Gillespie, Sep 7, 2006