    what books can you suggest as a worthwhile reading materials for sql server
    2000 administration?

    Jesse (Manila, PH)

    Jesse, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Jesse

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    i know squat about sql. but i found sql 7.x book for sale for $5 CDN. is
    it worth it? how different is 7.x from 2000?

    just wondering...

    Neil <> wrote in

    Rowdy Yates, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    Rowdy Yates <> wrote in

    > i know squat about sql. but i found sql 7.x book for sale for $5 CDN.

    is
    > it worth it? how different is 7.x from 2000?
    >
    > just wondering...

    not too much but some. there are additional tools and commands in 2000,
    xml support, changes to triggers and additional DBCC commands (I really
    like the DBCC SHOWCONTIG, FWIW) but on the whole the differences between
    7 and 2000 are not as dramatic as the changes between 6.5 and 7 (THAT was
    _HUGE_!!!! - even from the standpoint of devices) so it's probably worth
    $5 to fill up the bookshelf...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  5. >not too much but some.

    Well, depends on what you want, for most users I agree.

    For me index views, partitioned views/federated servers, user defined
    functions (at last), big ints, replication enhancements, not to
    mention the xml capabilities, have increased my respect for the
    product.

    Having said that, hardly worth a full major version jump from 7,
    unlike yukon.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  6. >what books can you suggest as a worthwhile reading materials for sql server
    >2000 administration?

    In addition to the admin books, get a hold of inside sql 2000. Won't
    help a massive amount for the exam, but goes into detail why things
    work the way they do - excellent read.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  7. >i know squat about sql. but i found sql 7.x book for sale for $5 CDN. is
    >it worth it? how different is 7.x from 2000?
    >
    >just wondering...

    Forgot how to google have we Rowdy?

    hee,hee!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Jesse

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    >>i know squat about sql. but i found sql 7.x book for sale for $5 CDN. is
    >>it worth it? how different is 7.x from 2000?
    >>
    >>just wondering...

    > Forgot how to google have we Rowdy?
    >
    > hee,hee!!
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    but then we would have nothing to talk about 'round here.

    :-0)

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE
    --
    Rowdy's Home Page
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Jul 6, 2004
  9. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    > unlike yukon.....

    *sign*
    can't wait...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    Rowdy Yates <> wrote in

    > but then we would have nothing to talk about 'round here.

    we never have anything to talk about.

    we just babble needlessly...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  11. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    > inside sql 2000.

    I'll second that...
    ('course it's way more expensive than the one I recommended <grin>)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  12. >we never have anything to talk about.

    >we just babble needlessly

    Warm, sunny spells....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  13. >can't wait...

    the bastards back home are on the beta program, but won't send me a
    copy.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  14. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    > the bastards back home are on the beta program, but won't send me a
    > copy.....

    I know I was too late to get in on the beta...
    *crying*
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  15. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    >>we never have anything to talk about.
    >>
    >>we just babble needlessly

    > Warm, sunny spells....
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    that one looks like a bunny...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  16. >>>we just babble needlessly

    >> Warm, sunny spells....
    >>
    >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    >>

    >that one looks like a bunny...

    your daughter, she came to my house and kicked my dog.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  17. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    > your daughter, she came to my house and kicked my dog.

    which one?

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  18. >> your daughter, she came to my house and kicked my dog.

    >which one?

    the one who shot sheriff Joe (in the back).

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004
  19. Jesse

    Neil Guest

    >>> your daughter, she came to my house and kicked my dog.

    >>which one?

    > the one who shot sheriff Joe (in the back).
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    you are officially too far off topic for me to follow...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 6, 2004
  20. >you are officially too far off topic for me to follow...

    I'm sure the answer is 'C'

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 6, 2004