    I have seen some dumps referring to the same.

    Plz advise.

    Aibak

    Aibak, May 6, 2004

  2. Aibak

    Neil Guest

    "Aibak" <> wrote in news:907e01c4333f
    $ee131240$:

    > How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
    > is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
    > 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
    > installed).
    >
    > I have seen some dumps referring to the same.
    >
    > Plz advise.
    >
    > Aibak

    ??? ok first off if you are using dumps you probably have never used the
    product. if you had you would use something called Books Online. really
    good thing to read.

    here...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a6f79cb1-a420-
    445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&DisplayLang=en

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/3yqvr since the last one wraps.

    read the section on affinity masks (SQL actually numbers the processors
    from 00000001 to 111111111)...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 6, 2004

  3. ----- Neil wrote: ----

    "Aibak" <> wrote in news:907e01c4333
    $ee131240$

    > How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
    > is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
    > 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
    > installed)
    >> I have seen some dumps referring to the same
    >> Plz advise
    >> Aiba

    ??? ok first off if you are using dumps you probably have never used the
    product. if you had you would use something called Books Online. really
    good thing to read

    here..
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a6f79cb1-a420
    445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&DisplayLang=e

    http://tinyurl.com/3yqvr since the last one wraps

    read the section on affinity masks (SQL actually numbers the processors
    from 00000001 to 111111111)..

    --
    Neil MCNGP #3
    "you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?

    But, when you view the properties of a server in EM, and go to the processors tab, they are listed from 0 (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3)

    =?Utf-8?B?Ug==?=, May 6, 2004
  4. Aibak

    Neil Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?Ug==?=" <> wrote in

    > ----- Neil wrote: -----
    >
    > "Aibak" <> wrote in
    > news:907e01c4333f $ee131240$:
    >
    > > How does MS SQL 2000 numbers the processor,in case if it
    > > is installed in multi processor Server. I mean is it
    > > 0,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4( For a Server with 4 processors
    > > installed).
    > >> I have seen some dumps referring to the same.
    > >> Plz advise.
    > >> Aibak

    > ??? ok first off if you are using dumps you probably have never
    > used the product. if you had you would use something called Books
    > Online. really good thing to read.
    >
    > here...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a6f79cb1-
    > a420- 445f-8a4b-bd77a7da194b&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3yqvr since the last one wraps.
    >
    > read the section on affinity masks (SQL actually numbers the
    > processors from 00000001 to 111111111)...
    >

    > --
    > Neil MCNGP #30
    >

    > But, when you view the properties of a server in EM, and go to the
    > processors tab, they are listed from 0 (CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2, CPU 3)

    all depends on how you are looking at it. yes in a GUI this is how it is
    listed. Affinity masks will allow you to regulate which processor SQL uses.
    here the mask is set in decimal and then converted to binary. how does SQL
    count processor? doesn't matter. the question should have been how does
    Microsoft number the porcesors. in which case they start at 0 and count up.
    (not just in SQL either. have a look at a task manager on a multiprocessor
    box. go to the processes tab, right click a running process and choose set
    affinity)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  5. >the question should have been how does
    >Microsoft number the porcesors.

    ... and what licensing issues are involed.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 6, 2004
  6. Aibak

    Neil Guest

    >>the question should have been how does
    >>Microsoft number the porcesors.

    > .. and what licensing issues are involed.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    cripes Kline, even M$ can't answer those questions....

    (at least not without a few lawyers present)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 6, 2004
  7. >cripes Kline, even M$ can't answer those questions....

    >(at least not without a few lawyers present)

    oh yes, that's not forget those nice helpful lawyers!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 6, 2004