MS Software On New PC Reinstallation: Activation Codes Question ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    When one is upgrading to a new PC, how does the re-installation of
    various MS software that had those activation code requirements work ?

    Can you just put the codes in, again, for the new PC, and it works ?

    Or, will it work only once for the original machine ?

    Or, do you call some new MS number, or... ?

    Can't believe you can't use it again on your new PC, but
    not sure ?

    How does it work, please ?

    Thanks,
    B.
    Robert11, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When one is upgrading to a new PC, how does the re-installation of
    > various MS software that had those activation code requirements
    > work ?
    >
    > Can you just put the codes in, again, for the new PC, and it works ?

    Yeah. The possible exception being OEM software that came with your
    original machine and is specific to it.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:25:50 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    |>When one is upgrading to a new PC, how does the re-installation of
    |>various MS software that had those activation code requirements work ?

    |>How does it work, please ?

    XP's activation is the only Microsoft program/OS that is system
    dependent that I'm aware of. If you really want to know how it does
    this read:
    http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

    Software doesn't care where it goes, how many copies are running or
    how many times you install it, as long as you have a proper code.
    Unless you let it call home then all bets are off. And yet another
    reason to run Zone Alarm :)
    Pennywise, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Ron Martell Guest

    Pennywise <> wrote:

    >XP's activation is the only Microsoft program/OS that is system
    >dependent that I'm aware of. If you really want to know how it does
    >this read:
    >http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt
    >
    >Software doesn't care where it goes, how many copies are running or
    >how many times you install it, as long as you have a proper code.
    >Unless you let it call home then all bets are off. And yet another
    >reason to run Zone Alarm :)

    Wrong. There is a lot of software that requires an activation key,
    and not just from Microsoft. The last two versions of Microsoft
    Office (Office XP and Office 2003) both require activation in the same
    way as does Windows XP.

    Symantec is also using a similar system I believe and many other
    software companies are working on similar systems of ensuring
    licensing compliance.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Robert11

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:27:42 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    wrote:

    |>>XP's activation is the only Microsoft program/OS that is system
    |>>dependent that I'm aware of.

    |>Wrong. There is a lot of software that requires an activation key,
    |>and not just from Microsoft.

    And why the OP and I specifically stated Microsoft

    |> The last two versions of Microsoft
    |> Office (Office XP and Office 2003) both require activation in the same
    |> way as does Windows XP.

    Of which I wasn't aware, I take it then to reinstall these packages
    you would have to save the equivalent of wpa.dbl for each to prevent
    reactivation?
    Pennywise, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Robert11

    Ron Martell Guest

    Pennywise <> wrote:

    >|>Wrong. There is a lot of software that requires an activation key,
    >|>and not just from Microsoft.
    >
    >And why the OP and I specifically stated Microsoft
    >
    >|> The last two versions of Microsoft
    >|> Office (Office XP and Office 2003) both require activation in the same
    >|> way as does Windows XP.
    >
    >Of which I wasn't aware, I take it then to reinstall these packages
    >you would have to save the equivalent of wpa.dbl for each to prevent
    >reactivation?

    What is the big hangup with reactivation? It takes about
    ..0000000000000000000000001 seconds provided it is the *same* computer
    as the original activation.

    And if it is not the same computer then saving wpa.dbl will not do any
    good.

    Ron Martell, Nov 19, 2004