MS screwed?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:40:29 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
    > removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
    > would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
    > how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
    > when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.

    Wrong word, wouldn't not couldn't.

    Gordon, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Gordon

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684

    Taken from the middle(towards the end) of the article.

    "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
    removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
    would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
    how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
    when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.

    I don't see Microsoft committing antitrust suicide, as it would open a
    string of lawsuits alleging perjury. So if the EU wins its case and
    demands the removal of Media Player, and the software giant says it
    can't do so because it would break Windows, could such an action cause
    the EC to ban the Windows desktop from Europe?

    If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all dilemmas.
    On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the other a possible
    European ban, which would put the Open Source desktop on a fast track to
    rapid and widespread use."
    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003

  3. Gordon

    T.N.O. Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    >>"If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
    >>removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
    >>would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
    >>how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
    >>when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.

    > Wrong word, wouldn't not couldn't.

    Well maybe yuo should email the writer/reporter of the article and the
    editor and correct them... :)
    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003
  4. Gordon

    Max Burke Guest

    > T.N.O. scribbled:

    > "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684

    snip....

    > If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all
    > dilemmas. On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the
    > other a possible European ban, which would put the Open Source
    > desktop on a fast track to rapid and widespread use."

    Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

    How much would it cost the EU to have removed Windows from EU businesses,
    Governments, personal, etc and replace it with OSS/*nix?
    What about private/personal/consumer use? Make it a crime to have in your
    possesion? (on any computer)
    But hey I quite believ that the EU 'government is quite capable of
    legalising such a ban, given that they've made really, really stupid
    decisions like that about products and services in the past.....

    I'd be all in favor of legislation that mandates Open Standards where
    applicable, and requires government bodies to seriously consider Open Source
    alternatives. But what we're getting is attempts to *require* use of Open
    Source software - effectively criminalizing an official's decision to buy
    commercial software to meet their needs. First in Peru, and now here. And at
    LinuxWorld it is apparently being preached and accepted as part of the
    "party doctrine."
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/wlg/1840

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:
    Max Burke, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Gordon

    steve Guest

    Max Burke allegedly said:

    > Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

    No....MS would withdraw it....or risk being done for perjury in other cases
    if they comply by doing something they allegedly said they couldn't do.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Gordon

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Max Burke allegedly said:
    >

    > > Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

    > No....MS would withdraw it....or risk being done for perjury in other

    cases
    > if they comply by doing something they allegedly said they couldn't

    do.

    Or...hmm, let's see...MS makes a deal. The EU gets to look tough by
    extracting a fine of some sort, and MS gets to continue doing business
    as usual. Now, which do you think is the more likely outcome?
    Patrick Bold, Nov 15, 2003
  7. Gordon

    techie Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:40:29 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684
    >

    > Taken from the middle(towards the end) of the article.
    >

    > "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
    > removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
    > would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
    > how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
    > when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.
    >
    > I don't see Microsoft committing antitrust suicide, as it would open a
    > string of lawsuits alleging perjury. So if the EU wins its case and
    > demands the removal of Media Player, and the software giant says it
    > can't do so because it would break Windows, could such an action cause
    > the EC to ban the Windows desktop from Europe?
    >
    > If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all dilemmas.
    > On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the other a possible
    > European ban, which would put the Open Source desktop on a fast track to
    > rapid and widespread use."

    Just to further complicate Microsoft's life:

    <http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=3824385&section=news>

    "BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Microsoft rival has used
    show-and-tell to make its point that the software giant
    need not cripple its popular Windows operating system to
    comply with EU regulators' demands, a source familiar
    with the case has said."

    "...RealNetworks demonstrated a version of a product
    known as "Windows XP Embedded" to show the operating
    system could work well without Windows Media Player, a
    source familiar with the case said."

    "The product seemed to work fine to many of those sitting
    in the hearing room, the source said."
    techie, Nov 15, 2003
  8. Gordon

    steve Guest

    Patrick Bold allegedly said:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Max Burke allegedly said:
    >>

    >> > Ban it? Make it illegal to own Windows?

    >> No....MS would withdraw it....or risk being done for perjury in other

    > cases
    >> if they comply by doing something they allegedly said they couldn't

    > do.
    >>

    > Or...hmm, let's see...MS makes a deal. The EU gets to look tough by
    > extracting a fine of some sort, and MS gets to continue doing business
    > as usual. Now, which do you think is the more likely outcome?

    I don't care... :)

    I was explaining the previous post to Max. He didn't understand the point it
    was making.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers
    steve, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Hi there,

    techie wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:40:29 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:
    >

    >>"Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
    >>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684
    >>

    > Just to further complicate Microsoft's life:
    >
    > <http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=3824385&section=news>
    >
    > "BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Microsoft rival has used
    > show-and-tell to make its point that the software giant
    > need not cripple its popular Windows operating system to
    > comply with EU regulators' demands, a source familiar
    > with the case has said."
    >
    > "...RealNetworks demonstrated a version of a product
    > known as "Windows XP Embedded" to show the operating
    > system could work well without Windows Media Player, a
    > source familiar with the case said."
    >
    > "The product seemed to work fine to many of those sitting
    > in the hearing room, the source said."

    How about removing Windows OS altogether, but leaving the Windows Media
    DLL's there. That way Xine and Mplayer can still use those to playback
    DRM free WMV and WMA under Linux...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 17, 2003
  10. Gordon

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:40:29 -0600, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > > "Could the EU ban the Windows desktop from Europe?"
    > > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12684
    > >

    > > Taken from the middle(towards the end) of the article.
    > >

    > > "If the EC wins its day in court and demands that the Media Player be
    > > removed, what will Microsoft do? If it complies, I believe the company
    > > would be committing antitrust suicide. Microsoft would have to explain
    > > how it could remove Media Player, supposedly a "function" of Windows,
    > > when it couldn't do the same with its IE browser.
    > >
    > > I don't see Microsoft committing antitrust suicide, as it would open a
    > > string of lawsuits alleging perjury. So if the EU wins its case and
    > > demands the removal of Media Player, and the software giant says it
    > > can't do so because it would break Windows, could such an action cause
    > > the EC to ban the Windows desktop from Europe?
    > >
    > > If Microsoft loses this case, it will be in the dilemma of all dilemmas.
    > > On the one hand, lawsuits alleging perjury, and on the other a possible
    > > European ban, which would put the Open Source desktop on a fast track to
    > > rapid and widespread use."

    > Just to further complicate Microsoft's life:
    >
    > <http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=3824385&section=news>
    >
    > "BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Microsoft rival has used
    > show-and-tell to make its point that the software giant
    > need not cripple its popular Windows operating system to
    > comply with EU regulators' demands, a source familiar
    > with the case has said."
    >
    > "...RealNetworks demonstrated a version of a product
    > known as "Windows XP Embedded" to show the operating
    > system could work well without Windows Media Player, a
    > source familiar with the case said."
    >
    > "The product seemed to work fine to many of those sitting
    > in the hearing room, the source said."

    i would love to see them try that with Longhorn, because it wont work -
    medea will be built into windows - ie open up your favorate chat program
    there could be some video / animation going on in the background.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Nov 18, 2003