    MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over $200. Is there
    a substitute for less than $200?

    nof

    Nina O'Flynn, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Russell Smithies, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Nina O'Flynn

    steve Guest

    Nina O'Flynn allegedly said:

    > MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over $200. Is
    > there a substitute for less than $200?
    >
    > nof

    Scribus 1.1.4 on linux = free.

    It's a paste-up (metphor) desktop publishing program. You create frame and
    then add images and text to them.

    It's advancing rapidly and the improvement in the past 12 months has been
    incredible.

    http://www.scribus.org.uk

    steve, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Nina O'Flynn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:59:10 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Nina O'Flynn allegedly said:
    >
    >> MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over $200. Is
    >> there a substitute for less than $200?
    >>
    >> nof

    > Scribus 1.1.4 on linux = free.
    >
    > It's a paste-up (metphor) desktop publishing program. You create frame and
    > then add images and text to them.
    >
    > It's advancing rapidly and the improvement in the past 12 months has been
    > incredible.
    >
    > http://www.scribus.org.uk

    Cool - Now there's one less reason to keep the legacy box.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Lennier wrote:
    >>http://www.scribus.org.uk

    > Cool - Now there's one less reason to keep the legacy box.

    publisher was a reason to keep a windows box? wow, smal reasons.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Nina O'Flynn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:37:19 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> Cool - Now there's one less reason to keep the legacy box.

    > publisher was a reason to keep a windows box? wow, smal reasons.

    No.

    Frame based page/book compositing was a good reason to keep my Win98 box.

    I do not and never have had ANY Micro$oft software OTHER than Micro$oft
    Windows and Internet Explorer 6 (for website testing purposes) installed
    on my Win98 box.

    That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    Lennier

    --
    Delenn: "Do not look any further. All life is transitory - a dream.
    We all come together in cyber space, in the end of time. If I do not

    Lennier, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Nina O'Flynn

    Max Burke Guest

    Nina O'Flynn scribbled:

    > MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over
    > $200. Is there a substitute for less than $200?

    I'm using MS Publisher for Windows 95 on XP Home; It installed and works OK
    for me.
    It doesn't even need to run in compatability mode.
    The only minor problem I had were with the clip art files, but I fixed that
    by re-installing them in MS Publisher.

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Nina O'Flynn

    Max Burke Guest

    > steve scribbled:

    >> Nina O'Flynn allegedly said:

    >> MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over
    >> $200. Is there a substitute for less than $200?
    >> nof

    > Scribus 1.1.4 on linux = free.

    Not much good for someone running XP.....

    Max Burke, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Nina O'Flynn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:45:08 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Scribus 1.1.4 on linux = free.

    > Not much good for someone running XP.....

    Unless you downloaded it and compiled it for yourself...

    Lennier

    --
    The Future is Open.

    Lennier, Jan 12, 2004
  10. Lennier wrote:
    > That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    > 64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    planning on winning lotto I see. :) me too.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 12, 2004
  11. Nina O'Flynn

    steve Guest

    Max Burke allegedly said:

    >> steve scribbled:

    >>> Nina O'Flynn allegedly said:

    >>> MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over
    >>> $200. Is there a substitute for less than $200?
    >>> nof

    >> Scribus 1.1.4 on linux = free.

    > Not much good for someone running XP.....

    He may decide to not run XP.

    Linux is about having choices.

    steve, Jan 12, 2004
  12. Nina O'Flynn

    steve Guest

    Lennier allegedly said:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:37:19 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>> Cool - Now there's one less reason to keep the legacy box.

    >> publisher was a reason to keep a windows box? wow, smal reasons.

    > No.
    >
    > Frame based page/book compositing was a good reason to keep my Win98 box.
    >
    > I do not and never have had ANY Micro$oft software OTHER than Micro$oft
    > Windows and Internet Explorer 6 (for website testing purposes) installed
    > on my Win98 box.
    >
    > That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    > 64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.

    steve, Jan 12, 2004
  13. Nina O'Flynn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:26:14 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    >> 64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    > planning on winning lotto I see. :) me too.

    Yeah - still rather expensive.

    However, I am happy to wait.

    The Athlon 64 and even the Opteron will drop in price before too long,
    and likewise the MOBOs - it's the way of all computer components.

    Lennier

    --
    "It is a joy to labor for those you love."

    Lennier, Jan 12, 2004
  14. Lennier wrote:
    >>>That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    >>>64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    >>planning on winning lotto I see. :) me too.

    > Yeah - still rather expensive.
    > However, I am happy to wait.
    > The Athlon 64 and even the Opteron will drop in price before too long,
    > and likewise the MOBOs - it's the way of all computer components.

    Heres hoping that my dual opteron laptop will be made someday... I wont
    hold my breath.

    I'm not purchasing anything big computerwise until March 2005, it's a
    self imposed limit, my machines are fast enough as they are.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 12, 2004
  15. Nina O'Flynn

    Max Burke Guest

    > steve scribbled:

    >> Max Burke allegedly said:

    >>> Nina O'Flynn allegedly said:
    >>> MSPub '95 is way out of range for an XP. An upgrade is well over
    >>> $200. Is there a substitute for less than $200?
    >>> nof

    >>> Scribus 1.1.4 on linux = free.

    >> Not much good for someone running XP.....

    > He may decide to not run XP.

    He is a she....

    Max Burke, Jan 13, 2004
  16. Nina O'Flynn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:37:48 +1300, steve wrote:

    >> That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    >> 64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    > You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.

    No you can't - not legally.

    Lennier

    --
    Newsman - on CD piracy: "Entertainment meets Geekery meets Vengeance. It's
    unstoppable. A match made in Heaven."

    Lennier, Jan 13, 2004
  17. Nina O'Flynn

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2004.01.13.07.06.39.281508@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:37:48 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    > >> That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    > >> 64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    > > You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.

    > No you can't - not legally.

    I wondered how long it would take to notice this.

    Steve has never concerned himself with little problems like that has he?

    Mainlander, Jan 13, 2004
  18. Nina O'Flynn

    harry Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:37:48 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >>> That box will most likely become a testing box once I get a dual
    >>> 64bit system as my next Linux Workstation.

    >> You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.

    > No you can't - not legally.
    >

    > Lennier

    You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.

    You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law in this country.

    harry, Jan 13, 2004
  19. Nina O'Flynn

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <EgNMb.17043$>, says...

    > >> You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.

    > > No you can't - not legally.
    > >

    > > Lennier

    > You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.
    >
    > You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law in this country.

    IE is licensed software and the license clearly states it can only be run
    on the Windows platform. The license is a legal document that you agree
    to at the time of installation.

    Mainlander, Jan 13, 2004
  20. Nina O'Flynn

    harry Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <EgNMb.17043$>, says...

    >>> No you can't - not legally.
    >>>

    >>> Lennier

    >> You can run MS IE 6.0 on Codeweavers Crossover Office on Linux.
    >>
    >> You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law in this
    >> country.

    > IE is licensed software and the license clearly states it can only be
    > run on the Windows platform. The license is a legal document that you
    > agree to at the time of installation.

    Its like the tag on a mattress that says you cannot remove it.
    Who cares ?

    harry, Jan 13, 2004