ms press book for exam 70-320

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Darren Guy, May 26, 2004.

  1. Darren Guy

    Darren Guy Guest

    Hi All

    going thru the labs in the ms press book for exam 70-320.

    However I am using the .net framework 1.1, so I am having trouble getting
    the remoting examples to work.

    Chapter 4 .NET Remoting, I have changed the .config files so that the client
    application now runs, but the messages are broadcast back to the user
    submitted the chat, and not to all other clients. Even using the files
    supplied on the cd dont work.

    The changes i made to central.config, and cleint.config are listed below.

    Modified the central.config file
    <configuration>
    <system.runtime.remoting>
    <application>
    <channels>
    <channel ref="http" port="8080">
    <serverProviders>
    <provider ref="wsdl">
    <formatter ref="soap" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
    <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
    </provider>
    </serverProviders>
    <clientProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" />
    </clientProviders>
    </channel>
    </channels>
    <service>
    <wellknown
    mode="Singleton"
    type="ChatCoordinator, ChatCoordinator"
    objectUri="Chat"
    />
    </service>
    </application>
    </system.runtime.remoting>
    </configuration>

    I have modified the client.config file to the following:

    <configuration>
    <system.runtime.remoting>
    <application>
    <channels>
    <channel ref="http" port="0">
    <clientProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" />
    </clientProviders>
    <serverProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
    </serverProviders>
    </channel>
    <client>
    <wellknown
    type="ChatCoordinator, ChatCoordinator"
    url="http://localhost:8080/Chat"
    />
    </client>
    </channels>
    </application>
    </system.runtime.remoting>
    </configuration>

    Also having problems with the lab in chapter 5, ut i nthis case have no idea
    where to include the typeFilterLevel info.

    I have checked the mspress website, there are no corrections etc for the
    book that are related to version 1.1 of the .net framework.

    If anybody could help me out here, most appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Darren
    Darren Guy, May 26, 2004

  2. Hi,

    I had the same problem but found some useful info here ->
    http://www.thinkdotnet.com/default.aspx?Control=DiscussionTopic&TopicID=149

    I then changed my client config (Client.config) to :-

    <configuration>
    <system.runtime.remoting>
    <application>
    <client>
    <wellknown type="ChatCoordinator, ChatCoordinator"
    url="http://localhost:8080/Chat" />
    </client>
    <channels>
    <channel ref="http" port="0">
    <serverProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
    </serverProviders>
    <clientProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" />
    </clientProviders>
    </channel>
    </channels>
    </application>
    </system.runtime.remoting>
    </configuration>

    And my server config (Central.config) to :-

    <configuration>
    <system.runtime.remoting>
    <application>
    <service>
    <wellknown mode="Singleton" type="ChatCoordinator,
    ChatCoordinator" objectUri="Chat" />
    </service>
    <channels>
    <channel ref="http" port="8080">
    <serverProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" typeFilterLevel="Full" />
    </serverProviders>
    <clientProviders>
    <formatter ref="binary" />
    </clientProviders>
    </channel>
    </channels>
    </application>
    </system.runtime.remoting>
    </configuration>

    I have had multiple clients connected to the chat server and all clients
    receive the broadcasts.

    As yet I haven't got to chapter 5!

    Glenn.

    Glenn Haworth, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Darren Guy

    Darren Guy Guest

    Glenn

    Thanks for that, finally got it working.

    right now going thru the 70-315 book, will come back to the ch5 labs later.
    If get a solution will post it here,
    Darren Guy, Jun 9, 2004