MS Press 70-290 book and Windows Server 2003 EE evaluation copy

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by David Christensen, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse:

    I am working my way through [1] and have installed the
    included evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
    Edition. I've noticed that group policy security and/or
    other settings don't seem to take effect unless I reboot
    the machine. I first noticed this when I turned off
    password complexity requirements but couldn't create user
    accounts with non-complex passwords. I noticed it again
    when I did the exercises for Chapter 3, Lesson 4.

    Any ideas?

    TIA,

    David

    [1] Dan Holme and Orin Thomas, 2004, "MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced
    Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment", Microsoft
    Press, ISBN 0-7356-1437-7.

    David Christensen, Jul 26, 2004

  2. David Christensen

    Jerz Guest

    Have you tried "gpudate" at the command prompt instead of
    rebooting?

    I'm no expert but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

    Jerz, Jul 26, 2004

  3. David Christensen

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 25, 2004 "Jerz" blathered:

    > I'm no expert but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

    Good line.

    --
    TechGeekPro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Thanks for the response. I've never heard of "gpudate". It was my
    impression (wishful thinking?) that WS2003 AD changes made via MMC take
    effect immediately on the local server, and take effect upon
    "synchronization" (or whatever it's called) on other servers ("soon" if
    connected by fast/LAN links, "scheduled" if connected by slow/WAN
    links).

    Does anybody know of a KB article, etc., that explains when WS2003 AD
    changes made via the Group Policy Object Editor 1.0 are supposed to take
    effect? I did some digging on technet and came up with the following,
    but couldn't find a answer to my specific question:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/management/mmc/

    Does anybody know if the evaluation copy of WS2003EE is different from
    the production version with respect to MMC?

    TIA,

    David

    David Christensen, Jul 26, 2004
  5. David Christensen

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Jerz" <> spewed in

    > I'm no expert but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

    no,no,no - Holiday Inn _Express_

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 26, 2004
  6. David Christensen

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "David Christensen" <dpchrist @at holgerdanske
    ..dot com> spewed in news::

    > It was my
    > impression (wishful thinking?) that WS2003 AD changes made via MMC take
    > effect immediately on the local server, and take effect upon
    > "synchronization" (or whatever it's called) on other servers

    no the domain controllers are refreshed every 5 minutes so that if
    multiple changes are made they are changed as a group not one by one.
    this is very benificial when dealing with mutlile servers. instead of
    having several 3 GPO updates for 3 changes in 5 minutes there is one
    change sent. This is the same for 2000 (and in a way - stabilization -
    was also in play for directory replication [LMREPL] in NT) so this was
    pulled from technet article KB203607, which also shows how to change
    these defaults:

    "By default, if the administrator does not modify the default setting,
    Windows 2000-based computers use 90-minute intervals. For domain
    controllers, the default is 5 minutes. This default for domain
    controllers is used because when a change to domain policy or rights is
    made, this reduces the latency in applying the change to domain
    controllers as replication occurs. If 0 (zero) is specified for the
    refresh interval, the refresh occurs in 7-second intervals."

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 26, 2004
  7. David Christensen

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "David Christensen" <dpchrist @at holgerdanske
    ..dot com> spewed in news::

    > Does anybody know if the evaluation copy of WS2003EE is different from
    > the production version with respect to MMC?

    no the eval is exactly the same as the production copy with the exception
    of the time limit

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 26, 2004