MS Optical mice

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Rob wrote:
    > Has anyone got one of these MS 'Designer' Stark mice, as shown here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2004/jul04/07-08StarckMouse.asp
    >
    > I am weighing up getting one of these, or one of the wireless MS tilt mice
    > at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=005.
    >
    > Anyone use these and have any options on them. I am leaning towards the tilt
    > mouse as it looks more ergonomic

    interesting design that... but Im not sure I like it.

    the tilt ones we get here at work(in the form of the "wireless desktop
    elite"). We seem to have no trouble with them.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > the tilt ones we get here at work(in the form of the "wireless desktop
    > elite"). We seem to have no trouble with them.

    oh yeah, nice to use etc aswell :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Rob

    PseUDO Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>the tilt ones we get here at work(in the form of the "wireless desktop
    >>>elite"). We seem to have no trouble with them.

    >>oh yeah, nice to use etc aswell :)

    > Thanks for that, how do you find the battery life on them. It states that
    > they last 6 months, which is a good length of time.

    Im using a MS wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 with tilt wheel etc,
    goes real well, and the battery life is well over 6 months, pretty
    amazing really.

    Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Rob, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Rob wrote:
    >>>the tilt ones we get here at work(in the form of the "wireless desktop
    >>>elite"). We seem to have no trouble with them.

    >>oh yeah, nice to use etc aswell :)

    > Thanks for that, how do you find the battery life on them. It states that
    > they last 6 months, which is a good length of time.

    funnily enough we just had our first "battery failure"... and its 7
    months 7 days since it was installed... so pretty good really.

    although it isnt what your enquiring about, the KB batteries died within
    3 months, although it was a typist(doing ~90 WPM 6 hrs a day) that was
    using that machine.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  7. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:19:08 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote in

    > Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Often we don't appreciate what we have until we lose it. Don't wait for
    that to happen.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Rob

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> oh yeah, nice to use etc aswell :)

    >> Thanks for that, how do you find the battery life on them. It states
    >> that
    >> they last 6 months, which is a good length of time.

    > funnily enough we just had our first "battery failure"... and its 7
    > months 7 days since it was installed... so pretty good really.
    >
    > although it isnt what your enquiring about, the KB batteries died within
    > 3 months, although it was a typist(doing ~90 WPM 6 hrs a day) that was
    > using that machine.

    My MS Bluethooth mouse batteries last 3 weeks, if i'm lucky, while the
    KB last about 8 :(

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 6, 2004
  9. Rob

    PseUDO Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:19:08 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote in
    >

    >>Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    > No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    > name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.

    Another anti MS person??

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 6, 2004
  10. Rob

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:19:08 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    >> No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    >> name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.
    >>

    > Another anti MS person??

    Without knowing the posters intentions - I must say I concur (to a point).

    In case you don't already know - I'm one of the MS supporters :)

    Some of MS's hardware is good, some is not. I personally think they should
    stick to what they do best - software.

    My 2 cents worth.

    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 6, 2004
  11. Rob

    PseUDO Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:19:08 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote in

    >>>No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    >>>name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.
    >>>

    >>Another anti MS person??

    > Without knowing the posters intentions - I must say I concur (to a point).
    >
    > In case you don't already know - I'm one of the MS supporters :)
    >
    > Some of MS's hardware is good, some is not. I personally think they should
    > stick to what they do best - software.
    >
    > My 2 cents worth.

    Each to their own really, but you will find very few people with
    anything bad to say about MS "branded" hardware, it just works.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 6, 2004
  12. Rob

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message

    > Each to their own really, but you will find very few people with anything
    > bad to say about MS "branded" hardware, it just works.

    I suspect you may have misread my intention?

    :)

    Given, I've seen your nick around these parts for a long time - I gotta
    ask........when you say "but you will find very few people with
    > anything bad to say about MS "branded" hardware" - I must assume you have
    > several anti-MS zealots in your KF?

    :)

    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 6, 2004
  13. Rob

    PseUDO Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Each to their own really, but you will find very few people with anything
    >>bad to say about MS "branded" hardware, it just works.
    >>

    > I suspect you may have misread my intention?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Given, I've seen your nick around these parts for a long time - I gotta
    > ask........when you say "but you will find very few people with
    >
    >>anything bad to say about MS "branded" hardware" - I must assume you have
    >>several anti-MS zealots in your KF?

    > :)

    Nope no one in my killfile yet :), got plenty of room !

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 6, 2004
  14. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:31:33 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote in

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:19:08 +1300, PseUDO <> wrote in
    >>
    >>>Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    >> No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    >> name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.
    >>

    > Another anti MS person??
    >
    > PseUDO

    No, not particularly .... credit where it is due, certainly - and
    Microsoft is due credit for a lot of things that they do - but
    manufacturing hardware - good, bad, or indifferent - isn't one of them.
    Any hardware bearing the Microsoft logo is either manufactured under
    licence or badge-engineered.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - For a bad cough, take a strong laxative. Then you won't DARE cough!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Rob

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >> "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Each to their own really, but you will find very few people with anything
    >>>bad to say about MS "branded" hardware, it just works.
    >>>

    >> I suspect you may have misread my intention?
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Given, I've seen your nick around these parts for a long time - I gotta
    >> ask........when you say "but you will find very few people with
    >>
    >>>anything bad to say about MS "branded" hardware" - I must assume you
    >>>have several anti-MS zealots in your KF?

    >> :)
    >>

    > Nope no one in my killfile yet :), got plenty of room !

    Hmmm, I could take that in away that you maybe didn't intend :)

    Which is confusing, 'cause I thought we were having a civil converstaion?

    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 6, 2004
  16. On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:09:30 +1300, Ryan Jacobs <> wrote in

    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >> Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>> "PseUDO" <> wrote in message

    >>> I suspect you may have misread my intention?
    >>>
    >>> :)
    >>>
    >>> Given, I've seen your nick around these parts for a long time - I gotta
    >>> ask........when you say "but you will find very few people with

    >>> :)
    >>>

    >> Nope no one in my killfile yet :), got plenty of room !
    >>

    > Hmmm, I could take that in away that you maybe didn't intend :)
    >
    > Which is confusing, 'cause I thought we were having a civil converstaion?

    I think the thinly-veiled threat was against me, on the (incorrect)
    ASSumption that I was anti-Microsoft; if he wishes to killfile me, that's
    fine - it really is of monumental unimportance in the scheme of things.

    To return to topic, having said what I did about Microsoft-branded
    hardware, I must say that I've never heard any serious criticisms of any
    of it, nor have I ever had any problems with it myself. Well-designed,
    functional, ergonomic (largely), and for the most part built like the
    proverbial brick scheissenhaus.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - The more we learn, the more we discover how ignorant we are. Wisdom
    lies in surviving this.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    > No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    > name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.

    But it was a MS business decision to chose that company, so MS should
    get the credit for that. :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  18. Rob

    PseUDO Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>
    >>>"PseUDO" <> wrote in message

    >>>I suspect you may have misread my intention?
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Given, I've seen your nick around these parts for a long time - I gotta
    >>>ask........when you say "but you will find very few people with

    >>>:)
    >>>

    >>Nope no one in my killfile yet :), got plenty of room !
    >>

    > Hmmm, I could take that in away that you maybe didn't intend :)
    >
    > Which is confusing, 'cause I thought we were having a civil converstaion?

    Nope didn't mean i was going to killfile you!, hence the smiley face.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 6, 2004
  19. Rob

    Matthias Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Has anyone got one of these MS 'Designer' Stark mice, as shown here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2004/jul04/07-08StarckMouse.asp
    >
    > I am weighing up getting one of these, or one of the wireless MS tilt mice
    > at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=005.
    >
    > Anyone use these and have any options on them. I am leaning towards the tilt
    > mouse as it looks more ergonomic

    At the risk of getting accused of being anti-Microsoft, I would suggest
    you also consider Logitech mice. Microsoft mice and keyboards used to
    be my first choice, but my Cordless MX Duo has definitely converted me.

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Oct 6, 2004
  20. On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:29:08 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>>Well recommended, MS know how to make good hardware!

    >> No, MS know how to pay someone else to make good hardware and put MS's
    >> name on it. Don't give credit where none is due.

    > But it was a MS business decision to chose that company, so MS should
    > get the credit for that. :)

    Certainly.

    --
    Regards,