MS Office problems with updating and saving files across the network.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark Acutt, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Mark Acutt

    Mark Acutt Guest

    Hi,

    We have a problem with one of our customers with MS Office(Excel).
    They have one particular Excel that is around 21MB+ in size that
    several users use and the problems are mainly experienced with this
    file, however other Excel & Word files also intermittantly experience
    the same problems.

    Normally one person does the updates and the others open the files to
    read information from them.

    The problems ARE intermittant

    1) Although the file is being updated(saved), when another user opens
    the file the updates are not there.

    2) Sometimes when the file is already open with full access and
    another user opens the file it does not ask to open or display
    READ-ONLY, but does inform you that the file is currently in use by
    another user if you try to save it.

    System setup:

    Server:
    Hewlett Packard E60 - PIII 550 128MB RAM - Almost 3yrs old
    Microsoft Windows NT - SBS v4.5 (SP6a installed)
    10GB Free on Network Drive
    Using Mapped network drives initialised via Logon script
    Proxy via dial-up
    Exchange v5.5
    NT Backup(run manually)
    100Mbit Server Nic

    Workstations:
    Lowest spec being PIII 733MHz with 128MB RAM & Office 97 & WIndows 98
    They use a combination of Office 97 and Office 2000 Small Business
    Also, they have a combination of Operating systems: Windows 98, 2000 &
    XP
    All have 10/100 NICS installed
    No other network instensive apps installed

    Network:
    Allied Telesyn 12-Port 10/100 Dual Speed Hub.
    Cat 5e Cabling throughout (NEW)
    Server and client PC's running at 100MBits/s.

    The PC that does most of the updates is a PIV running Windows 2000 SP3
    and Office 2000. This machine has had a complete re-install and driver
    updates.
    However, the problems are also experienced on other machines.

    Please, we are really desperate for any suggestions.

    Kinds Regards,
    Mark Acutt

    Mark Acutt, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Mark Acutt

    pcbutts1 Guest

    The file is too big.

    --

    Coming soon Facial Recognition-SharpVision DVR's Visit http://www.seedsv.com
    Live Web Demo now at http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm Simply the best.

    pcbutts1, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Mark Acutt

    rgm Guest

    on the cpu's with office 97 have installed both sp's available?

    ---

    rgm, Jul 31, 2003