MS OEM Licensing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SchoolTech, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
    machines that have no Windows license sticker.

    As I understand it, corporates on volume licenses must have a separate
    license such as an OEM license for each machine they purchase. Thus it
    seems likely that all such machines would have originally had a license
    sticker on the case.

    I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
    license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
    mark left on the case). Is this legal? Is there some sort of trade in
    these stickers?

    Some organisations when selling old machines state that licenses are not
    available as they have to be transferred to other machines. It was
    easier to do this before machines had to have OEM stickers put on them.
    Can organisations on site or volume licenses legally transfer OEM
    licenses from old machines to new machines that they buy without the
    appropriate license?

    SchoolTech, Jan 31, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
    > machines that have no Windows license sticker.

    Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
    (unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its' most
    probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren´t too bothered by it.

    Contrast TradeMe by the heavy licensing enforced on eBay; mind you when
    the BSA come knocking with their lawyers (well-backed financially), one
    tends to listen.

    Problem with those TradeMe auctions is that they seem to penalise the
    buyers with genuine licenses, but, since no-one really is actively
    enforcing copyright on TradeMe who is to stop them?

    Daniel, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Daniel said the following on 31/01/2005 2:13 p.m.:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
    >> machines that have no Windows license sticker.
    >>

    > Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
    > (unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its' most
    > probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren´t too bothered by it.

    Selling a machine with no OS when it has previously had an OS dosnt
    require that the old license be included. If the OS is included then the
    license is required.
    Corps can transfer any MS License between machines if they have the
    correct Corporate License

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 31, 2005
  4. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Daniel said the following on 31/01/2005 2:13 p.m.:
    >
    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >>
    >>> We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
    >>> machines that have no Windows license sticker.
    >>>

    >> Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
    >> (unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its'
    >> most probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren´t too bothered by it.

    > Selling a machine with no OS when it has previously had an OS dosnt
    > require that the old license be included. If the OS is included then the
    > license is required.
    > Corps can transfer any MS License between machines if they have the
    > correct Corporate License

    Sorry, yes - correct clarification. I was referring to the ones where an
    OS is included but no license.

    Daniel, Jan 31, 2005
  5. SchoolTech

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:54:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:

    > I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
    > license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
    > mark left on the case). Is this legal?

    Yes - it's legal to remove a sticker from a metal case.

    Is it legal for you to use any version of Windows that was originally sold
    with that computer? Yes it is - but only with THAT computer.

    Does that sticker need to be attached to that computer? No it does not.

    What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
    the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
    another copy of windows.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    , Jan 31, 2005
  6. SchoolTech

    Allistar Guest

    wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:54:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
    >> license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
    >> mark left on the case). Is this legal?

    > Yes - it's legal to remove a sticker from a metal case.
    >
    > Is it legal for you to use any version of Windows that was originally sold
    > with that computer? Yes it is - but only with THAT computer.
    >
    > Does that sticker need to be attached to that computer? No it does not.
    >
    > What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
    > the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
    > another copy of windows.
    >

    > Divine

    How do you define "that computer"? What if I upgrade the MB and CPU but
    leave the rest? Is it still the same computer? What if I change everything
    but the MB? Is the the same? If it has the same mouse or poweer cord, is it
    the same then?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 31, 2005
  7. said the following on 1/02/2005 12:36 a.m.:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:54:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:
    >

    >>I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
    >>license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
    >>mark left on the case). Is this legal?

    > Yes - it's legal to remove a sticker from a metal case.
    >
    > Is it legal for you to use any version of Windows that was originally sold
    > with that computer? Yes it is - but only with THAT computer.
    >
    > Does that sticker need to be attached to that computer? No it does not.
    >
    > What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
    > the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
    > another copy of windows.
    >

    > Divine

    Bet I dont need that info to reinstall. Plenty of utilities to extract
    the info from the OS reg

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Jan 31, 2005
  8. wrote:
    >>How do you define "that computer"? What if I upgrade the MB and CPU but
    >>leave the rest? Is it still the same computer? What if I change everything
    >>but the MB? Is the the same? If it has the same mouse or poweer cord, is it
    >>the same then?

    > I mean, one year you could upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The next year you
    > could upgrade the video card. The following year you could upgrade the CPU
    > to the latest slot A AMD chip. The year after that you could upgrade the
    > MOBO. All the while it is still the same computer at the same desk being
    > used by the same person. Then the following year you could upgrade the RAM
    > and the HDD... et/c

    I know that you're gonna love this, but windows would probably balk at
    the change in mobo and ask to be re-activated :)

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 1, 2005
  9. SchoolTech

    Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:25:45 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > How do you define "that computer"? What if I upgrade the MB and CPU but
    > leave the rest? Is it still the same computer? What if I change everything
    > but the MB? Is the the same? If it has the same mouse or poweer cord, is it
    > the same then?

    Good question.

    A little like the man who has only ever had one axe, which has had 7 new
    handles and 6 new heads, yet he has still only ever had one axe.

    One could postulate that if the license is attached to the case of the
    computer, then whatever is put inside the computer is also subject to that
    license.

    I mean, one year you could upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The next year you
    could upgrade the video card. The following year you could upgrade the CPU
    to the latest slot A AMD chip. The year after that you could upgrade the
    MOBO. All the while it is still the same computer at the same desk being
    used by the same person. Then the following year you could upgrade the RAM
    and the HDD... et/c

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    , Feb 1, 2005
  10. SchoolTech

    Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:04:18 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    >> What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
    >> the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
    >> another copy of windows.

    > Bet I dont need that info to reinstall. Plenty of utilities to extract
    > the info from the OS reg

    ....Not if the HDD got trashed. :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    , Feb 1, 2005
  11. SchoolTech

    Schooltech Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel said the following on 31/01/2005 2:13 p.m.:
    > > SchoolTech wrote:
    > >
    > >> We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
    > >> machines that have no Windows license sticker.
    > >>

    > > Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
    > > (unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its' most
    > > probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren´t too bothered by it.

    > Selling a machine with no OS when it has previously had an OS dosnt
    > require that the old license be included. If the OS is included then the
    > license is required.
    > Corps can transfer any MS License between machines if they have the
    > correct Corporate License

    Which type of license allows this?

    Schooltech, Feb 1, 2005
  12. Schooltech said the following on 1/02/2005 8:03 p.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Daniel said the following on 31/01/2005 2:13 p.m.:

    >>>Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
    >>>(unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its' most
    >>>probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren´t too bothered by it.

    >>Selling a machine with no OS when it has previously had an OS dosnt
    >>require that the old license be included. If the OS is included then the
    >>license is required.
    >>Corps can transfer any MS License between machines if they have the
    >>correct Corporate License

    > Which type of license allows this?

    I think they currently call it "Volume"

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 1, 2005
  13. SchoolTech

    Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:52:07 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> I mean, one year you could upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The next year you
    >> could upgrade the video card. The following year you could upgrade the CPU
    >> to the latest slot A AMD chip. The year after that you could upgrade the
    >> MOBO. All the while it is still the same computer at the same desk being
    >> used by the same person. Then the following year you could upgrade the RAM
    >> and the HDD... et/c

    > I know that you're gonna love this, but windows would probably balk at
    > the change in mobo and ask to be re-activated :)

    Windows does not have "activation". WindowsNT5.1 has that Activation
    bullshit.

    If you are buying a computer for serious use, ie not for playing games,
    then you really do not need Windows - there are plenty of very high
    quality Open Source programmes out there that will run on Open Source
    operating systems.

    No Micro$oft software required.

    Divine

    --
    Microsoft repeatedly suggests that its own internal schedules reflect the
    "truth" of the preemptive announcements its executives were making. Internal

    , Feb 1, 2005
  14. said the following on 1/02/2005 9:35 p.m.:
    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:52:07 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>>I mean, one year you could upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The next year you
    >>>could upgrade the video card. The following year you could upgrade the CPU
    >>>to the latest slot A AMD chip. The year after that you could upgrade the
    >>>MOBO. All the while it is still the same computer at the same desk being
    >>>used by the same person. Then the following year you could upgrade the RAM
    >>>and the HDD... et/c

    >>I know that you're gonna love this, but windows would probably balk at
    >>the change in mobo and ask to be re-activated :)

    > Windows does not have "activation". WindowsNT5.1 has that Activation
    > bullshit.
    >
    > If you are buying a computer for serious use, ie not for playing games,
    > then you really do not need Windows - there are plenty of very high
    > quality Open Source programmes out there that will run on Open Source
    > operating systems.
    >
    > No Micro$oft software required.
    >

    > Divine

    Oh **** not this old pedantic chestnut again

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 1, 2005
  15. SchoolTech

    Axle Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Oh **** not this old pedantic chestnut again

    Will you be a good chap and stop reposting it,
    I quite enjoy your posts otherwise.

    Axle, Feb 1, 2005