    to switch over? (One problem with Quicken, it does not make it easy to
    import MS Money, whereas MS Money makes it a snap to import Quicken.
    This has made it difficult to get all of my previous records into Quikcen.)

    PeterInMN, Apr 20, 2006

  2. PeterInMN

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:wmC1g.6360$,
    PeterInMN spewed forth:
    > I have been using MS Money for several years, and have tried a few
    > times to switch over to Quicken, but always go back to MS money, mainly
    > because of familiarity. My question to the general readers is , which
    > is better and why, MS Money, or Quicken? Should I take the time
    > effort to switch over? (One problem with Quicken, it does not make it
    > easy
    > to import MS Money, whereas MS Money makes it a snap to import
    > Quicken. This has made it difficult to get all of my previous records into
    > Quikcen.)

    I all comes down to "features". Does Money do what you want? Then why
    consider switching?

    If not, Quicken is fine, but I'd suggest waiting until the beginning of the
    year and printing your account balances from Money, manually setting them up
    then - starting with a clean slate at the first of the year is easier for
    budgeting, tax purposes, etc.

    I use Quicken, and like the automated downloading from my bank, easy
    checkbook balancing, account management, stuff like that. I don't track
    investments with it (I don't have any <g>) so I can't speak to those
    functions. I don't like uploading my data to someone else's website so I
    don't do that either.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:wmC1g.6360$,
    > PeterInMN spewed forth:
    >
    >>I have been using MS Money for several years, and have tried a few
    >>times to switch over to Quicken, but always go back to MS money, mainly
    >>because of familiarity. My question to the general readers is , which
    >>is better and why, MS Money, or Quicken? Should I take the time
    >>effort to switch over? (One problem with Quicken, it does not make it
    >>easy
    >>to import MS Money, whereas MS Money makes it a snap to import
    >>Quicken. This has made it difficult to get all of my previous records into
    >>Quikcen.)

    > I all comes down to "features". Does Money do what you want? Then why
    > consider switching?
    >
    > If not, Quicken is fine, but I'd suggest waiting until the beginning of the
    > year and printing your account balances from Money, manually setting them up
    > then - starting with a clean slate at the first of the year is easier for
    > budgeting, tax purposes, etc.
    >
    > I use Quicken, and like the automated downloading from my bank, easy
    > checkbook balancing, account management, stuff like that. I don't track
    > investments with it (I don't have any <g>) so I can't speak to those
    > functions. I don't like uploading my data to someone else's website so I
    > don't do that either.

    When my bank started offering online banking, I stopped attempting to
    keep my checkbook balanced. Just seemed like wasted effort. But I felt
    vindicated one day when the president of a regional bank stopped by the
    shop and mentioned that he hadn't balanced his checkbook in years either.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 20, 2006
  4. PeterInMN

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:wmC1g.6360$,
    >> PeterInMN spewed forth:
    >>
    >>> I have been using MS Money for several years, and have tried a few
    >>> times to switch over to Quicken, but always go back to MS money,
    >>> mainly because of familiarity. My question to the general readers
    >>> is , which is better and why, MS Money, or Quicken? Should I take the
    >>> time
    >>> effort to switch over? (One problem with Quicken, it does not make
    >>> it easy
    >>> to import MS Money, whereas MS Money makes it a snap to import
    >>> Quicken. This has made it difficult to get all of my previous
    >>> records into Quikcen.)

    >> I all comes down to "features". Does Money do what you want? Then why
    >> consider switching?
    >>
    >> If not, Quicken is fine, but I'd suggest waiting until the beginning
    >> of the year and printing your account balances from Money, manually
    >> setting them up then - starting with a clean slate at the first of
    >> the year is easier for budgeting, tax purposes, etc.
    >>
    >> I use Quicken, and like the automated downloading from my bank, easy
    >> checkbook balancing, account management, stuff like that. I don't
    >> track investments with it (I don't have any <g>) so I can't speak to
    >> those functions. I don't like uploading my data to someone else's
    >> website so I don't do that either.

    > When my bank started offering online banking, I stopped attempting to
    > keep my checkbook balanced. Just seemed like wasted effort. But I felt
    > vindicated one day when the president of a regional bank stopped by
    > the shop and mentioned that he hadn't balanced his checkbook in years
    > either.

    Yeah - the online banking is a good thing. But I still balance my checking
    account against the bank just in case I've missed something or there's an
    error at the bank. So far, the errors have only been mine...and usually not
    in my favor <g>! I don't always do the credit cards, since I use them so
    seldom (can't afford to.)

    Toolman Tim, Apr 20, 2006