MS Modem Driver Update - Win98

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by E. Scrooge, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    What a great update that bastard was.
    I decided to check and get some critical updates for an HP PC running Win98
    on a friend's computer while MS was still supporting Win98 (for now). All
    Went well with the critical updates, along with a few not so critical
    updates just for good measure. Then under Drivers updates was just the one
    update for the modem. Not much info provided about it - as usual. Download
    the update which then started to auto install itself as well. Part way
    through the bastard asked for the driver DISK LOL. No obvious sign of it
    amongst the HP rubbish. Hit cancel thinking all would be well, after all it
    wasn't like the modem hadn't been working okay up till then. Restarted the
    PC for all the updates to take affect - only to find that the modem no
    longer worked - great stuff - thanks very much MS. All I had to go by was
    the modem's model/code number MSP 3880 W. Searched the Net with my PCs last
    night, finding some drivers associated to Aztech, also found that the HP
    recovery CD might have the modem driver as well going by info from the net.
    Anyway I shoved a floppy disk in the bugger today with a 1.2MB driver on it.
    On restarting Windows the modem was found - surprise surpise, and better
    still the bastard even worked just as well as it had before the great update
    had tripped the bastard up. Some damn info that the driver would be needed
    to complete the installed update would've been helpful, and saved a few
    hassles.
    No wonder people are very careful at times when they decide to update
    software or not from MS.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 16, 2003

  2. E. Scrooge

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ouch, I have had that happen and it brings back memories of the Intel
    Chipset INF for windows 95 (USB supplement or something like that). At
    least that works now, but it was broken for at least a year whan it first
    came out. Next time, try pointing the installer to the windows\inf or
    system32 folder.
    You could also search for a recently modified/created file and look for a
    recent inf.
    I agree that it is not acceptable to have a broken script from the windows
    update site.
    Good to hear that you fixed it.
    Dave Taylor, Jul 17, 2003

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message
    > > What a great update that bastard was.
    > > I decided to check and get some critical updates for an HP PC running

    > Win98
    > > on a friend's computer while MS was still supporting Win98 (for now).

    All
    > > Went well with the critical updates, along with a few not so critical
    > > updates just for good measure. Then under Drivers updates was just the

    > one
    > > update for the modem.

    > I NEVER upgrade my drivers via the Windows Update Site as it always ends

    up
    > in trouble one way or another....

    I was kicking myself afterwards, as it wasn't a critical update, and the
    modem had been working well enough anyway.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 17, 2003