    Open source software is doing more than making MS get security raised.It is
    attacking the bottom line. Well that is how I see this news, some will now
    doubt differ.
    Gordon, Dec 20, 2009

  2. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > It goes on to say that Works is dead and the "free" version is limited on
    > some features but if these are required one can pay to get them. The free
    > version will operate forever.

    It’s also going to subject the user to advertising
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4632>.

    > My take on this, the competing software has a foothold and now MS must
    > step up and keep people as possible customers.

    It’s difficult to see how anyone, even the most diehard Microsoft loyalists,
    will willingly swallow this piece of excrement.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 20, 2009

  3. Gordon

    thingy Guest

    On Dec 20, 6:07 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > In the side bar article on page 12 of the Oz PC Authority there is a snippet
    > which begins "Microsoft is to replace Works with a free version of Office
    > 2010, the company has announced. "
    >
    > It goes on to say that Works is dead and the "free" version is limited on
    > some features but if these are required one can pay to get them. The free
    > version will operate forever.
    >
    > My take on this, the competing software has a foothold and now MS must step
    > up and keep people as possible customers. So they are now entering the
    > phase, get them hooked and then up the price. Rather than you want this,
    > really, really want this eh? Cough up.
    >
    > Open source software is doing more than making MS get security raised.It is
    > attacking the bottom line. Well that is how I see this news, some will now
    > doubt differ.

    Does office2010 have the lockin technology of 2007? So offer a free
    cut down version with your only option being?

    regards
    thingy, Dec 20, 2009
  4. Gordon

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > In the side bar article on page 12 of the Oz PC Authority there is a snippet
    > which begins "Microsoft is to replace Works with a free version of Office
    > 2010, the company has announced. "
    >
    > It goes on to say that Works is dead and the "free" version is limited on
    > some features but if these are required one can pay to get them. The free
    > version will operate forever.
    >
    > My take on this, the competing software has a foothold and now MS must step
    > up and keep people as possible customers. So they are now entering the
    > phase, get them hooked and then up the price. Rather than you want this,
    > really, really want this eh? Cough up.
    >
    > Open source software is doing more than making MS get security raised.It is
    > attacking the bottom line. Well that is how I see this news, some will now
    > doubt differ.

    Well that's your take - but I think it's rubbish. :)

    Works is awful, no point in maintaining it. Use Office! And it already
    has the features such as Office Live (online file storage, sharing etc).

    The move has nothing to do with any other office suite - there just
    isn't any good ones out there. Open Office isn't even close.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 20, 2009
  5. Gordon

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <6b9e98f8-d290-4a20-bd9d-e3a799939f32
    @g22g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > On Dec 20, 6:07 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > > In the side bar article on page 12 of the Oz PC Authority there is a snippet
    > > which begins "Microsoft is to replace Works with a free version of Office
    > > 2010, the company has announced. "
    > >
    > > It goes on to say that Works is dead and the "free" version is limited on
    > > some features but if these are required one can pay to get them. The free
    > > version will operate forever.
    > >
    > > My take on this, the competing software has a foothold and now MS must step
    > > up and keep people as possible customers. So they are now entering the
    > > phase, get them hooked and then up the price. Rather than you want this,
    > > really, really want this eh? Cough up.
    > >
    > > Open source software is doing more than making MS get security raised.It is
    > > attacking the bottom line. Well that is how I see this news, some will now
    > > doubt differ.

    > Does office2010 have the lockin technology of 2007? So offer a free
    > cut down version with your only option being?

    Download the public beta and check it out.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 20, 2009
  6. Gordon

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <6b9e98f8-d290-4a20-bd9d-e3a799939f32
    > @g22g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > >
    > > On Dec 20, 6:07 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > > > In the side bar article on page 12 of the Oz PC Authority there is a snippet
    > > > which begins "Microsoft is to replace Works with a free version of Office
    > > > 2010, the company has announced. "
    > > >
    > > > It goes on to say that Works is dead and the "free" version is limited on
    > > > some features but if these are required one can pay to get them. The free
    > > > version will operate forever.
    > > >
    > > > My take on this, the competing software has a foothold and now MS must step
    > > > up and keep people as possible customers. So they are now entering the
    > > > phase, get them hooked and then up the price. Rather than you want this,
    > > > really, really want this eh? Cough up.
    > > >
    > > > Open source software is doing more than making MS get security raised..It is
    > > > attacking the bottom line. Well that is how I see this news, some will now
    > > > doubt differ.

    > > Does office2010 have the lockin technology of 2007? So offer a free
    > > cut down version with your only option being?

    > Download the public beta and check it out.

    I see there's an online test drive thingie too.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 20, 2009
  7. Gordon

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > In article <6b9e98f8-d290-4a20-bd9d-e3a799939f32
    > > @g22g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > > Does office2010 have the lockin technology of 2007? So offer a free
    > > > cut down version with your only option being?

    > > Download the public beta and check it out.

    > I see there's an online test drive thingie too.

    Oops, that's an Office 2007 online test drive only.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 20, 2009
  8. Gordon

    Mike Dee Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > In the side bar article on page 12 of the Oz PC Authority there is
    > a snippet which begins "Microsoft is to replace Works with a free
    > version of Office 2010, the company has announced. "

    It would've been helpful if you could've supplied the issue date of
    the article (or an on-line link to it).

    No matter, looking for similar info online came up with this:

    <http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft-to-replace-Works-with-adsupported-Office-Starter-2010/1255022321>

    Dunno if the PC Authority article mentioned it, but until users
    stump up with the readies, MS Office 2010 will be *adware*

    A first for Microsoft the (above linked) article goes on to say...

    > It goes on to say that Works is dead and the "free" version is
    > limited on some features but if these are required one can pay to
    > get them. The free version will operate forever.
    >
    > My take on this, the competing software has a foothold and now MS
    > must step up and keep people as possible customers. So they are
    > now entering the phase, get them hooked and then up the price.
    > Rather than you want this, really, really want this eh? Cough up.
    >
    > Open source software is doing more than making MS get security
    > raised.It is attacking the bottom line. Well that is how I see
    > this news, some will now doubt differ.

    I'm sticking with OpenOffice.org.

    --
    dee