MS Media Player 9 -- Full Screen Playback Possible?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Confounded@home.com, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Hi.

    I have just installed Windows Media Player 9.

    Is it possible to play videos in full, full-screen mode? That is--the
    video covers the full monitor screen with NO status bars/tool bars at
    the top and bottom of the screen?

    If it is a letterbox film, then JUST black bars above and below the
    film, but no other toolbars visble?

    Windows old Media player did this just fine. You expanded to full
    screen and there was nothing but the video on the screen.

    If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate you posting.

    Thank you!

    Confounded

    , Oct 2, 2003

  2. cc Guest

    Hi Confounded /NG
    There is an option for full screen, look just above the play/progress bar,
    you will see 3 small boxes. The middle box, with the arrow pointing to the
    top right of the box will give you full screen mode.

    Check out the various options under 'View' and if all else fails, WMP9 has a
    little gadget called 'Help'... sneak in there, click on the Index tab, and
    type in 'full screen' :)

    cc
    http://clik.to/comedyclips
    ---------

    cc, Oct 2, 2003

  3. °Mike° Guest

    I don't use WMP 9, but you can get some useful information
    from this review page:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/wm9series.asp

    "But WMP 9 also offers up a wealth of visually inscrutable buttons
    for such obscure functions as "Show menu bar," "Display playlists,
    audio, video, or radio stations," "Select Now Playing options,"
    "Previous visualization," "Next visualization," "Hide taskbar,"
    "Maximize display pane," "View full screen," "Display playlist menu,"
    "Turn shuffle on," "Change player color" (XP only), and "Switch to
    skin mode." Whew. No, none of those buttons are labeled. And no,
    I have no idea what most of them are doing on the default player
    UI. Does anyone really need all of this functionality so much that all
    of these buttons are required? Why can't they be labeled? Why
    can't I turn them off?"

    Also use the help file.

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:24:41 GMT, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Liz Guest

    On the View menu> click Full Screen.
    A video, DVD, or visualization must be playing or paused for
    the Full Screen command to be available. To return to full mode,
    press ESC. Not all visualizations can be played in full screen.
    When you switch to full screen, the Player controls may appear for
    a short period of time (depending on the version of the Windows OS
    you are running, the capabilities of your video card, and the functionality
    of the visualization you may be viewing).

    To restore the controls after they disappear, move the mouse
    or press any key.

    To prevent the full-screen controls from disappearing,
    click the Always show full-screen controls button.

    To hide the full-screen controls automatically after a short
    period of time, click the Auto full-screen controls button.

    If you are unable to view content using the entire screen, the
    video hardware may not have sufficient memory. Go to Tools>
    Options> Performance tab> Advanced> Video Acceleration>
    slide the slider to full-screen mode.

    Keyboard shortcuts for the View menu commands.
    ALT+VS. to Display the View menu
    CTRL+1 to Switch to full mode
    CTRL+2 to Switch to skin mode
    CTRL+ME to Display menu bar in full mode
    CTRL+SHIFT+ME to Auto menu bar in full mode
    CTRL + I to Capture a DVD image
    ALT+ENTER to Display video in full screen
    ALT+1 to Zoom at 50%
    ALT+2 to Zoom at 100%
    ALT+3 to Zoom at 200%

    Liz, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Liz Guest

    Ignore my previous keyboard shortcut bit, I just noticed
    that my spellchecker added a few extra letters?!

    ALT+ENTER to Display video in full screen or
    click the tiny button says 'view full screen'
    Press ESC to return to full mode.

    ALT+V to Display the View menu
    CTRL+1 to Switch to full mode
    CTRL+2 to Switch to skin mode
    CTRL+M to Display menu bar in full mode
    CTRL+SHIFT+M to Auto menu bar in full mode
    CTRL + I to Capture a DVD image

    Liz, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Less Guest

    Ok, thank you everyone. Your advice worked perfectly. And yes, I
    should have read the help file. :)

    Lesson learned.

    God Bless.

    Confounded