    other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running but
    ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
    messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.

    D. Arlington, Jan 17, 2009

  2. D. Arlington

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:38:00 -0600, "D. Arlington" <>
    wrote:

    >MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
    >other program was using it.

    What was the exact error?

    >How can that be? Nothing else was running but ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
    >messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.

    Likely, something other than ZoneAlarm and AVG was running.

    Unless of course, you hit control-alt-delete, and in the Processes
    there is ONLY Zone Alarm and AVG running, which I really doubt.

    Reboot into safe mode and try.

    Evan Platt, Jan 17, 2009

  3. D. Arlington

    VanguardLH Guest

    D. Arlington wrote:

    > MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
    > other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running but
    > ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
    > messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.

    And your version of Windows is WHAT?

    Got any file indexers installed (MS Search, Google Desktop, Copernic)?

    VanguardLH, Jan 17, 2009
  4. D. Arlington

    D. Arlington Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:38:00 -0600, "D. Arlington" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying some
    >>other program was using it.

    > What was the exact error?

    It said MS Mail was being used by another program. I can't bring up the
    error again since I don't know how to get it to compact the messages.

    >>How can that be? Nothing else was running but ZoneAlarm and AVG
    >>anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
    >>messages? The OS is Vista Home Premium.

    > Likely, something other than ZoneAlarm and AVG was running.

    Like what? What uses MS Mail?

    > Unless of course, you hit control-alt-delete, and in the Processes
    > there is ONLY Zone Alarm and AVG running, which I really doubt.
    >
    > Reboot into safe mode and try.

    How do I find the "compact massages" thing since it comes up automatically?
    Where is it located?

    D. Arlington, Jan 17, 2009
  5. D. Arlington

    D. Arlington Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > D. Arlington wrote:
    >
    >> MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying
    >> some
    >> other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running
    >> but
    >> ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
    >> messages? *** The OS is Vista Home Premium. ***

    > And your version of Windows is WHAT?

    The OS is Vista Home Premium as stated above.

    > Got any file indexers installed (MS Search, Google Desktop, Copernic)?

    MS search came with Vista. I don't have the other two.

    D. Arlington, Jan 17, 2009
  6. D. Arlington

    VanguardLH Guest

    D. Arlington wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> D. Arlington wrote:
    >>
    >>> MS mail and News can't compact messages because I get an error saying
    >>> some
    >>> other program was using it. How can that be? Nothing else was running
    >>> but
    >>> ZoneAlarm and AVG anti-virus software. How do I get MS Mail to compact
    >>> messages? *** The OS is Vista Home Premium. ***

    >> And your version of Windows is WHAT?

    > The OS is Vista Home Premium as stated above.
    >
    >> Got any file indexers installed (MS Search, Google Desktop, Copernic)?

    > MS search came with Vista. I don't have the other two.

    Configure MS Search to exclude the folder where Mail saves its files. A
    newsgroup that discusses Vista's Mail can tell you where are those
    files, like microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail. A Vista group might
    also be able to tell you how to keep that folder but control priority
    over it so indexing doesn't occur if the files are open for read or
    write.

    VanguardLH, Jan 17, 2009
  7. D. Arlington

    > Configure MS Search to exclude the folder where Mail saves its files. A
    > newsgroup that discusses Vista's Mail can tell you where are those
    > files, like microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail. A Vista group might
    > also be able to tell you how to keep that folder but control priority
    > over it so indexing doesn't occur if the files are open for read or
    > write.

    Thanks.

    D. Arlington, Jan 18, 2009