MS is disabling the ability to re-activate a preinstalled OEM copy of XP over the net

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Thor, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Thor

    JD Guest

    Re: MS is disabling the ability to re-activate a preinstalled OEMcopy of XP over the net

    Thor wrote:
    > http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Activation_Loophole/1109293194
    >
    > This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
    > motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
    > aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
    > with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

    That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard ! its against
    the oem eula! .. you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can
    upgrade the full retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me
    on that)

    JD, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Thor

    Thor Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >> http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Activation_Loophole/1109293194
    >>
    >> This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
    >> motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
    >> aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
    >> with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

    > That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard !

    It's an announcement and change in policy MS just made, JD. It's not old
    news. Read the article. It was just reported by the Register as well.

    **** em.

    > you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can upgrade the full
    > retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me on that)

    yeah sure. Upgrade for another $100 that is.

    Thor, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Thor

    VWWall Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Activation_Loophole/1109293194
    >
    > This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
    > motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
    > aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
    > with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

    Especially when MSFT does things like this:

    http://www.crn.com/nl/crnupdate/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=60402957

    Novell is pushing their version of SUSE as a Windows Desktop replacement:

    http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2004/11/pr04075.html

    Let's wish them success! :)

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Feb 25, 2005
  5. "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >> http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Activation_Loophole/1109293194
    >>
    >> This is just wonnderful. Now whenever I have customer who requires a
    >> motherboard replacment for an OEM machine that is out of warranty, or an
    >> aftermarket mobo upgrade, I'll have to call MS to get windows to activate
    >> with the new hardware. Christ! Anything to make my job more difficult!

    > That's old news..and you cannot replace the motherboard ! its against the
    > oem eula! .. you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can upgrade
    > the full retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me on that)

    MS keeps the activatiion record for 120 days on retail versions of Windows.
    After that, you can upgrade the mobo or anything else, the activation is
    considered to be 'new'.

    Brian Wescombe, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Thor

    Thor wrote:

    >>its against the oem eula! ..

    > **** em.
    >

    >>you don't get that problem with XP ent. and you can upgrade the full
    >>retail version as much as you like (but don't quote me on that)

    > yeah sure. Upgrade for another $100 that is.

    Quite agree with you on those last two points I am currently using
    Windows 2000 Pro SP4, but I will not be upgrading with windows beyond
    this point I have been using Linux and Unix for the past couple of years
    for my work and I feel no need for bloated, inefficient, pricey
    operating systems when my main use is www, email, Word processing etc.

    JD, Feb 26, 2005