MS is a worry

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    as you use it. (And misuse it)

    Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
    and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?

    41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
    8 Windows updates total 45MB
    In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.

    What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    released a new update ROM

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    Mike Dee Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in

    > Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    > requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that
    > creep in as you use it. (And misuse it)
    >
    > Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows
    > Update and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky
    > dial up connection?
    >
    > 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
    > 8 Windows updates total 45MB
    > In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to
    > others.
    >
    > What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    > released a new update ROM

    Crumbs, I was seriously thinking of 'upgrading' from 98se to Win2k [I
    kid you not]. You have just aided in putting this decision for me onto
    hold, yet again. Dang.

    .... still need to crash that 4GB file limit tho' :(

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Mar 19, 2005

  3. Collector»NZ

    plonksville Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    > requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    > as you use it. (And misuse it)
    >
    > Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
    > and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
    >
    > 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
    > 8 Windows updates total 45MB
    > In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.

    Yes, and a lot of the ones listed as being ~300k downloads appear to be
    merely little more than an install file which then downloads even more!!

    > What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    > released a new update ROM

    They've decided to can SP5, and instead release a final "rollup" later
    this year ie Win2k + SP4 + Rollup. SP5 would simplify the matter from a
    end-user perspective, but end-users don't make the decisions at Microsoft.

    No doubt if a complete CD update isn't available directly from MS, it
    should be available from elsewhere.
    plonksville, Mar 19, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
    > and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?

    is that from win2k?
    I would say that 25MB of that would be the .net runtime which isn't
    strictly needed ... unless it is needed, so that takes it back to 45MB
    ~8MB will be Media Player
    ~8MB will be Direct X
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    Mercury Guest

    Its been available for some time. You only need to knwo where to look.

    The big question is How and Why are you trashing your system so often?

    Mercury, Mar 19, 2005
  6. Collector»NZ

    Peter S Guest

    > Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    > requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    > as you use it. (And misuse it)
    >
    > Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update and
    > gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
    >
    > 41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
    > 8 Windows updates total 45MB
    > In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
    >
    > What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    > released a new update ROM

    Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
    developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
    SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
    Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
    is bloody stable.

    I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
    hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
    little more carefully. I don't think you can blame Microsoft for not
    releasing patch disks, as in the environment I am in with full geek
    developers running 2000 and XP randomly installing stuff off the net they
    don't break the environment and don't worry about having to reinstall.

    Perhaps better would be when you download the patches to write them to a CD
    as it would seem you have to reuse them fairly often, then just access any
    extras using Win Update.

    Pete.
    Peter S, Mar 19, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:53:07 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    > requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    > as you use it. (And misuse it)

    LOL!

    At work our main UNIX server that has not had a complete re-install
    like you've described above in more than 6 years. It's UNIX - it's rock
    solid - it works!

    Bling-bling

    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
    open WINDOWS
    Bling-Bling, Mar 19, 2005
  8. Collector»NZ

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    You and your slavish dependence on Windows. If it was done properly in the
    first place you wouldn't have these problems. But since you are a sheep
    then I suppose you deserve everything you get.

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    > requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    > as you use it. (And misuse it)

    Fool. Do you thrive on this stress and trepidation?

    > Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
    > and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up

    connection?
    > What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    > released a new update ROM

    Bend over, lube-up and spread wide...

    2c
    Peter
    Peter Lowrie, Mar 19, 2005
  9. In article <423c104b$>,
    "Peter S" <> wrote:

    >Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
    >developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
    >SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
    >Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
    >is bloody stable.
    >
    >I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
    >hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
    >little more carefully.

    Make up your mind. Either Windows is robust in being able to cope with
    all kinds of software and hardware installs, or it's not. In the first
    paragraph you boast that it is with the stuff that you use, and then in
    the second you admit that maybe it's not with the stuff the OP uses.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 19, 2005
  10. Collector»NZ

    David Preece Guest

    Peter,

    A little more severe than usual...

    Peter Lowrie wrote:
    > Fool. Do you thrive on this stress and trepidation?
    >
    > Bend over, lube-up and spread wide...

    Not so much ROFL, but some definate audible giggles.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 19, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <423c104b$>,
    > "Peter S" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
    >>developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
    >>SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
    >>Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
    >>is bloody stable.
    >>
    >>I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
    >>hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
    >>little more carefully.

    > Make up your mind. Either Windows is robust in being able to cope with
    > all kinds of software and hardware installs, or it's not. In the first
    > paragraph you boast that it is with the stuff that you use, and then in
    > the second you admit that maybe it's not with the stuff the OP uses.

    Userland software should not make any difference to the stability of the
    system, but drivers do, no matter what OS you are running. Some software
    requires the installation of additional drivers, such as virtual CD/DVD
    tools, packet capture tools etc.

    As most drivers for Windows are provided by third parties and not
    Microsoft, the OS itself could be very stable. The drivers vary in
    quality substancially.

    Enough defending Windows... I believe XP is a stinking pile of shit, and
    will continue to use Windows 2000 until either ReactOS matures, or X and
    those numerous window environements that run on it close to Windows in
    terms of usability, and all those widget toolkits start behaving in a
    uniform way.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 19, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 20/03/2005 12:11 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update
    >> and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up
    >> connection?

    > is that from win2k?
    > I would say that 25MB of that would be the .net runtime which isn't
    > strictly needed ... unless it is needed, so that takes it back to 45MB
    > ~8MB will be Media Player
    > ~8MB will be Direct X

    Nope 13.3 Mb for Media Player
    dot net is 21 Mb

    BTW the figures quoted are the stubs, actual download size varies
    considerably. I would suspect I will end up downloading more MB than the
    original installation files.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2005
  13. Mercury said the following on 20/03/2005 12:36 a.m.:
    > Its been available for some time. You only need to knwo where to look.
    >
    > The big question is How and Why are you trashing your system so often?
    >

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    >>requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    >>as you use it. (And misuse it)
    >>
    >>Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update and
    >>gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
    >>
    >>41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
    >>8 Windows updates total 45MB
    >>In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
    >>
    >>What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    >>released a new update ROM

    Fix of FW top Poster
    Mercury said the following on 20/03/2005 12:36 a.m.:
    > Its been available for some time. You only need to knwo where to look.
    >
    > The big question is How and Why are you trashing your system so often?

    Well I do have the latest service pak CD update from MS plonker.

    As to trashing the system, well thats windows lousy software
    installation and removal system on a dev machine. It is pathetic at
    removing all components of installs, hell the registry gets a shit load
    of unneeded and unwanted stuff in it.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2005
  14. Peter S said the following on 20/03/2005 12:42 a.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just performed the usual wipe and reload of my main Win2k Box a
    >>requirement every now and then due to the stability issues that creep in
    >>as you use it. (And misuse it)
    >>
    >>Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows Update and
    >>gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial up connection?
    >>
    >>41 Critical updates and Service paks total 25MB
    >>8 Windows updates total 45MB
    >>In 5 sessions due to some updates having to be install seperate to others.
    >>
    >>What a shit load. Isnt it about time MS shelled out some dough and
    >>released a new update ROM

    > Hmm, I don't get people who have to clear down their machines. I'm a
    > developer, I load and unload some pretty heavy stuff on my Windows PC (XP
    > SP2), including Oracle databases, Application Servers and stuff. I installed
    > Windows XP in September 2001 and am still running that original install. It
    > is bloody stable.
    >
    > I mean, what do you do to your machine?? - I think you should choose the
    > hardware you buy (wrt having quality drivers), or the software you load a
    > little more carefully. I don't think you can blame Microsoft for not
    > releasing patch disks, as in the environment I am in with full geek
    > developers running 2000 and XP randomly installing stuff off the net they
    > don't break the environment and don't worry about having to reinstall.
    >
    > Perhaps better would be when you download the patches to write them to a CD
    > as it would seem you have to reuse them fairly often, then just access any
    > extras using Win Update.
    >
    > Pete.

    Have you checked the registry for all the shit that gets left behind by
    crappy uninstallers not to mention files and directories.
    I reload about every 8-12 months.

    I test lot of different and sometimes very esoteric software for the
    many sites i support and it just bogs the machine eventually. BTW dont
    compare win2k and XP Pro they are similar but different beasts.

    Have you ever tried to track down the appropiate downloads on MS site to
    download and burn to CD, hell it would take almost as long as the
    download form windows update. Hell we pay for the product then we have
    to spend a lot of time fixing with patches from MS.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2005
  15. Peter Lowrie said the following on 20/03/2005 12:53 a.m.:

    A new pathetic nominee for Village Idiot

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Mar 19, 2005
  16. Collector»NZ

    Max Burke Guest

    > Collector»NZ scribbled:

    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 20/03/2005 12:11 a.m.:

    >>> Used the last update rom from MS and then had a look at Windows
    >>> Update and gee guess how much I have to try and get on a flaky dial
    >>> up connection?

    >> is that from win2k?
    >> I would say that 25MB of that would be the .net runtime which isn't
    >> strictly needed ... unless it is needed, so that takes it back to
    >> 45MB ~8MB will be Media Player
    >> ~8MB will be Direct X

    > Nope 13.3 Mb for Media Player
    > dot net is 21 Mb

    Both of which are available on CD Roms for the price of a magazine, and that
    you dont actually have to install via WU. They're NOT critical updates that
    WU insists you need.

    > BTW the figures quoted are the stubs, actual download size varies
    > considerably. I would suspect I will end up downloading more MB than
    > the original installation files.

    Go to the MS download site to get/keep the updates on a CD Rom/Hard drive
    for when you need to reinstall them. Just use WU to tell you what you need
    to install, dont let it do the installs.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Mar 19, 2005
  17. Collector»NZ

    Max Burke Guest

    > Collector»NZ scribbled:

    >> Perhaps better would be when you download the patches to write them
    >> to a CD as it would seem you have to reuse them fairly often, then
    >> just access any extras using Win Update.
    >> Pete.

    > Have you checked the registry for all the shit that gets left behind
    > by crappy uninstallers not to mention files and directories.
    > I reload about every 8-12 months.
    > I test lot of different and sometimes very esoteric software for the
    > many sites i support and it just bogs the machine eventually. BTW dont
    > compare win2k and XP Pro they are similar but different beasts.

    Threee freeware tools for you...
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/reghance/

    > Have you ever tried to track down the appropiate downloads on MS site
    > to download and burn to CD, hell it would take almost as long as the
    > download form windows update. Hell we pay for the product then we have
    > to spend a lot of time fixing with patches from MS.

    Use WU to tell you what you need (both critical and recomended) then follow
    the links provided by WU to the appropriate download MS webpage.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Mar 19, 2005
  18. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > Make up your mind. Either Windows is robust in being able to cope with
    > all kinds of software and hardware installs, or it's not. In the first
    > paragraph you boast that it is with the stuff that you use, and then in
    > the second you admit that maybe it's not with the stuff the OP uses.

    it can be both, just as any system can be.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 19, 2005
  19. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> I would say that 25MB of that would be the .net runtime which isn't
    >> strictly needed ... unless it is needed, so that takes it back to 45MB
    >> ~8MB will be Media Player
    >> ~8MB will be Direct X

    > Nope 13.3 Mb for Media Player
    > dot net is 21 Mb

    > BTW the figures quoted are the stubs, actual download size varies
    > considerably. I would suspect I will end up downloading more MB than the
    > original installation files.

    well I was pretty close with my guestimates...
    There will be more, as I know that once you do the first round, theres
    atleast a patch for .net
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 19, 2005
  20. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Have you ever tried to track down the appropiate downloads on MS site to
    > download and burn to CD

    there is a folder on your machine that holds all the updates after
    you've installed them, cant think of it off the top of my head.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 19, 2005