MS Internet Explorer error messages...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tRuthvalue, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. tRuthvalue

    tRuthvalue Guest

    I'm running 3 desktop boxes on a hardwired router. All have Microsoft's
    current system updates, and all are up-to-date with McAfee Virus software.
    However, ONE of these machines produces error messages like the one below,
    usually at random times. The exception is EVERY time I paste a long URL
    into the box at tinyurl.com and click go, one of these messages appears.

    Strangely, when I choose not to debug, without exception, IE continues,
    apparently with no problems. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

    The differences between the machine getting these errors and the other two
    is:

    1) The 2 error free machines are fairly new Pentium 4's with 500mb RAM
    running XP.

    2) The errors are coming from a Pentium 3 with 132mb RAM running Win-2000,
    IE(V6.0.2800.1106) with a BIOS upgrade (Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG).

    The P3 machine gives me no other problems.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    --tRuth

    p.s. Error messages
    These are about 2.5 inch square .jpg messages.
    ------------------------
    Error
    X A Runtime Error has occurred.
    Do you wish to debug?
    Line: 2649
    Error: 'null' is null or not an object.
    [YES] [NO]
    --------------------------------
    Others are similar with different Line: and Error: descriptions.

    tRuthvalue, Aug 13, 2007

  2. tRuthvalue wrote:

    > p.s. Error messages
    > These are about 2.5 inch square .jpg messages.

    Not likely they are .jpg's. More likely they are Windows dialog boxes.

    > ------------------------
    > Error
    > X A Runtime Error has occurred.
    > Do you wish to debug?
    > Line: 2649
    > Error: 'null' is null or not an object.
    > [YES] [NO]

    Can you click the Yes and No buttons? Definitely not .jpg.

    > --------------------------------
    > Others are similar with different Line: and Error: descriptions.

    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
    [X] Disable script debugging
    [ ] Display a notification about every script error

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 13, 2007

  3. tRuthvalue

    leetfamicom Guest

    I reccomend the MS approved hammer on all your machines.
    Alternatively use firefox :)

    leetfamicom, Aug 13, 2007
  4. tRuthvalue

    tRuthvalue Guest

    BTS,

    Thanks for your tip of turning off script debugging. This eliminated the
    error messages. It reminds me of cutting the wire to the oil warning light
    on your car dashboard. On the other hand, I guess we don't need to see the
    coding errors of all the web site programmers out there. This reporting was
    turned off in the browsers of my 2 newer machines, as you probably
    suspected.

    Thanks again...
    -tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Aug 14, 2007
  5. tRuthvalue wrote:

    > BTS,
    >
    > Thanks for your tip of turning off script debugging. This eliminated
    > the error messages. It reminds me of cutting the wire to the oil
    > warning light on your car dashboard.

    Good analogy! :)

    > On the other hand, I guess we don't need to see the coding errors of
    > all the web site programmers out there. This reporting was turned off
    > in the browsers of my 2 newer machines, as you probably suspected.

    This would be true, since there are soooo many of them.

    Using Firefox with the Firebug extension (for web development), I have
    to clear its cache every coupla days, as it rapidly fills up with errors
    found all over the WWW.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 14, 2007