    this? In the meantime I have just put a shortcut to Google's page on
    my desktop so as to get there. Thanks for any advice....
    dee

    Dee, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Dee

    Dee Guest

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:57:49 +0000, Dee
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I have been using the I.E.7 browser for several months without any
    >problems. I have always had my Home Page set at the UK Google link but
    >today everytime I click on the IE icon on desktop it is taken over by
    >the MS Downloads page for IE7. Can't understand why when I am already
    >using it. Is there a newer version now recently available that MS
    >wants me to install? The first thing that comes up is the
    >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843 then immediately followed
    >by http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx
    >which is the IE7 download page. I have tried removing the entry
    >http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843 with HiJackThis but it
    >keeps coming back. I have Winds XP Home SP2 installed. How can I stop
    >this? In the meantime I have just put a shortcut to Google's page on
    >my desktop so as to get there. Thanks for any advice....
    >dee

    Found the solution, here it is in case anyone else needs it.....

    Open Spybot in Advanced Mode, click on Tools and under the 'IE Tweaks'
    section, uncheck the 'Miscellaneous Locks'. Also need to permanently
    disable/uncheck the TeaTimer function in Spybot, then HijackThis will
    successfully get rid of the registry entry. If you don't have
    HijackThis then manually delete the 3 individual entries for the url
    in the registry.
    Dee.

    Dee, Dec 8, 2007

  3. Dee

    carlechka Guest

    > Found the solution, here it is in case anyone else needs it.....
    >
    > Open Spybot in Advanced Mode, click on Tools and under the 'IE Tweaks'
    > section, uncheck the 'Miscellaneous Locks'. Also need to permanently
    > disable/uncheck the TeaTimer function in Spybot, then HijackThis will
    > successfully get rid of the registry entry. If you don't have
    > HijackThis then manually delete the 3 individual entries for the url
    > in the registry.

    What are you on about?

    carlechka, Dec 8, 2007