    not all positive or contains the word "Linux" they don't accept it.

    Regards
    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Paul Bealing

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Paul Bealing" wrote
    > Has anyone else tried it?

    whats the link?
    T.N.O., Aug 29, 2003

  3. Paul Bealing

    steve Guest

    Paul Bealing wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > Following another windows crash and the loss of some work I tried
    > submitting feedback to MS in NZ using their feedback form; and it
    > wouldn't submit. I'm using win98 and Mozilla.
    >
    > Has anyone else tried it?
    >
    > I had filled in all the required fields.
    > Maybe they check your browser and the tone of the message and if it's
    > not all positive or contains the word "Linux" they don't accept it.
    >
    > Regards
    > Paul Bealing

    More likely if you aren't using MS IE, their ActiveX functions won't
    work...and you can't submit it.
    steve, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Paul Bealing

    tim Guest

    > Following another windows crash and the loss of some work I tried
    > submitting feedback to MS

    i think they are aware that win9x is inherently unstable... lol
    tim, Aug 29, 2003
  5. Paul Bealing

    max Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:51:21 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Paul Bealing wrote:
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> Following another windows crash and the loss of some work I tried
    >> submitting feedback to MS in NZ using their feedback form; and it
    >> wouldn't submit. I'm using win98 and Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else tried it?
    >>
    >> I had filled in all the required fields.
    >> Maybe they check your browser and the tone of the message and if it's
    >> not all positive or contains the word "Linux" they don't accept it.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Paul Bealing
    >>

    >More likely if you aren't using MS IE, their ActiveX functions won't
    >work...and you can't submit it.

    Try this one link http://www.tdk.co.nz/default.asp , it crashes if
    you write more than 2 lines in the comments form
    max, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Paul Bealing, Aug 29, 2003
  7. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    tim wrote:
    >>Following another windows crash and the loss of some work I tried
    >>submitting feedback to MS

    > i think they are aware that win9x is inherently unstable... lol

    It's not too bad if I reboot a couple of times a day; especially before
    doing anything major. It seems more stable and faster if you don't apply
    any of the updates or patches.

    I do have XP here but I think it's time to bite the bullet and move
    everything I can away from windows.

    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 29, 2003
  8. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    tim wrote:
    > a couple of times a day? lol
    >
    > what do you use this machine for and what specs is it?
    >

    > "Paul Bealing" <> wrote in message

    >>>i think they are aware that win9x is inherently unstable... lol
    >>>

    >>It's not too bad if I reboot a couple of times a day; especially before
    >>doing anything major. It seems more stable and faster if you don't apply
    >>any of the updates or patches.
    >>
    >>I do have XP here but I think it's time to bite the bullet and move
    >>everything I can away from windows.
    >>
    >>Paul Bealing

    It's used mostly for hardware and embedded software development. I run a
    few programs that I bought years ago. I've heard that a couple won't run
    under XP, but they still get the job done so I'm not upgrading.
    It's a recent machine, Athlon 2000, Soltek MB, 1G RAM etc. I've got the
    HDD in a rack so I can swap easily. It's not a hardware problem because
    it runs Linux no trouble at all. I've got a couple of other machines
    just running Mandrake Linux. One of them has been running for months
    without a reboot.

    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 30, 2003
  9. Paul Bealing

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:49:11 +1200, Paul Bealing <>
    wrote:

    > It's not a hardware problem because it runs Linux no trouble at all.

    That's no proof. Some hardware runs WIndows better than Linux as well
    as vice versa,

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Aug 30, 2003
  10. Paul Bealing

    tim Guest

    1gb of ram bit of an overkill for a 9x box (that isn't used for gaming or
    other ram intensive tasks (assuming))...

    crazy bastard...

    tim, Aug 30, 2003
  11. tim wrote:
    > u could always run win9x under emulation using vmware and the likes...
    >
    > slows ur comp down tho (so compile times and cpu intensive activities
    > might suffer) and it definately won't be as responsive but it is an
    > option, dunno, so many issues with vmware tho, driver support a
    > biggie...

    How could you say that driver support is a biggie? The network card is
    supported right back to WFW 3.11. The video card is supported right through
    95/98/ME/2k/XP. Same thing with the sound card. The drivers install quickly
    and easily with "Install VMWare tools", or you can download them from the
    appropriate manufacturers.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 30, 2003
  12. Paul Bealing

    tim Guest

    i am talking about drivers for other peripherals... this guy is doing
    embedded software dev, if he is going to hook up a device on a serial,
    parallel, usb port then probably won't work right?

    of course graphics, nic, sound, etc are sweet...

    sorry, i wrote that post rather quickly. you are quite right, the wording
    was lousy, i apologise.

    tim, Aug 30, 2003
  13. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:49:11 +1200, Paul Bealing <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's not a hardware problem because it runs Linux no trouble at all.
    >>

    > That's no proof. Some hardware runs WIndows better than Linux as well
    > as vice versa,
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    > --
    >
    > The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
    > that the conspiracy is working.

    It indicates that it's not a basic problem such as the power supply
    being under-rated.

    The machine has in the past run win98 more reliably than it does at the
    moment. I stopped the windows update because it seemed to be less
    reliable following updates/patches.

    I'm not too worried about the reliability of win98. I should know better
    than to trust it with anything too important.

    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 30, 2003
  14. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    tim wrote:
    > u could always run win9x under emulation using vmware and the likes...
    >
    > slows ur comp down tho (so compile times and cpu intensive activities might
    > suffer) and it definately won't be as responsive but it is an option, dunno,
    > so many issues with vmware tho, driver support a biggie...
    >
    > hmm probably a lousy idea, dunno. probably best to just migrate to NT if you
    > can work around the legacy apps somehow...
    >
    > dunno, 2c worth here dude. :)
    >

    > "Paul Bealing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>a couple of times a day? lol
    >>>
    >>>what do you use this machine for and what specs is it?
    >>>

    >>>"Paul Bealing" <> wrote in message

    >>It's used mostly for hardware and embedded software development. I run a
    >>few programs that I bought years ago. I've heard that a couple won't run
    >>under XP, but they still get the job done so I'm not upgrading.
    >>It's a recent machine, Athlon 2000, Soltek MB, 1G RAM etc. I've got the
    >>HDD in a rack so I can swap easily. It's not a hardware problem because
    >>it runs Linux no trouble at all. I've got a couple of other machines
    >>just running Mandrake Linux. One of them has been running for months
    >>without a reboot.
    >>
    >>Paul Bealing

    I had a quick look at the vmware homepage. I'd rather not buy it at the
    moment and I would technically be using it commercially. I have heard
    from a friend that it runs win98 and XP pretty well.

    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 30, 2003
  15. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    tim wrote:
    > 1gb of ram bit of an overkill for a 9x box (that isn't used for gaming or
    > other ram intensive tasks (assuming))...
    >
    > crazy bastard...
    >

    > "Paul Bealing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>a couple of times a day? lol
    >>>
    >>>what do you use this machine for and what specs is it?
    >>>

    >>>"Paul Bealing" <> wrote in message

    >>It's used mostly for hardware and embedded software development. I run a
    >>few programs that I bought years ago. I've heard that a couple won't run
    >>under XP, but they still get the job done so I'm not upgrading.
    >>It's a recent machine, Athlon 2000, Soltek MB, 1G RAM etc. I've got the
    >>HDD in a rack so I can swap easily. It's not a hardware problem because
    >>it runs Linux no trouble at all. I've got a couple of other machines
    >>just running Mandrake Linux. One of them has been running for months
    >>without a reboot.
    >>
    >>Paul Bealing

    I had 512MB to begin with and got another 512MB really cheap. I didn't
    expect it to improve win98 operation. I was told that it might even slow
    it down. I suspect it did reduce the swap file use but I have no real
    evidence.

    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 30, 2003
  16. Paul Bealing

    tim Guest

    u know another option to try and get a stable win9x system would be to ghost
    regularly.

    just junk it every week. dunno how many apps u have installed, hell they're
    probably contributing to the instability anyway. some of these you probably
    would'nt have to reinstall after a ghost, that is they don't have any dll's
    or reg entries, etc. you could always script the gui installs for those apps
    u have to have.

    windows has a habit of breaking itself. using a clean image regularly would
    elimate that. i mean that is a last resort, i presume u defragment
    regularly, don't have excessive amounts of apps, especially not ones that
    load on startup, don't multitask it too hard, etc. all of those things and
    more will easily break windows...

    anyway, just another 2c worth here...

    tim, Aug 30, 2003
  17. tim wrote:
    > i am talking about drivers for other peripherals... this guy is doing
    > embedded software dev, if he is going to hook up a device on a serial,
    > parallel, usb port then probably won't work right?
    >
    > of course graphics, nic, sound, etc are sweet...
    >
    > sorry, i wrote that post rather quickly. you are quite right, the
    > wording was lousy, i apologise.

    No, it will work perfectly. All he needs to do is install the appropriate
    driver for that device, or no driver at all if he is accessing the ports
    directly. That's what emulated hardware is for! :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 30, 2003
  18. Paul Bealing

    tim Guest

    > No, it will work perfectly. All he needs to do is install the appropriate
    > driver for that device, or no driver at all if he is accessing the ports
    > directly. That's what emulated hardware is for! :)

    nice, shows how little i know... <g>
    tim, Aug 30, 2003
  19. "Paul Bealing" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    >
    > Following another windows crash and the loss of some work I tried
    > submitting feedback to MS in NZ using their feedback form; and it
    > wouldn't submit. I'm using win98 and Mozilla.

    If you mix and match I consider it quite reasonable to expect that you solve
    the problems yourself that you have created. My problems invariably turn out
    to be due to finger trouble. I have to keep track of what I put into the
    system.

    Henry
    Henry Falkner, Aug 30, 2003
  20. On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:46:19 +1200, Paul Bealing wrote:

    >> i think they are aware that win9x is inherently unstable... lol
    >>

    > It's not too bad if I reboot a couple of times a day; especially before
    > doing anything major. It seems more stable and faster if you don't apply
    > any of the updates or patches.

    I just rebooted my laptop today - after 65 days it was time to do stuff
    which couldn't be changed without a restart.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 31, 2003